Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Re: Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building

Whats that? Quit and be rehired or move to a different center?
Quit and, hopefully be re-hired. There is no guarantee. This is what the labor sup told me.

JE78

Re: Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building

I know, thats another good point. I'm sure my local sort is at its limit right now.

UPSGUY72

I asked HR and my boss if I could go back working in the building and was told no, they said its never happened but I never said anything about a pay cut but I would be willing to do whatever to not be a UPS driver anymore including forfitting driving opportunity's.

As for my anxiety I'd love to sit down with a doctor but as many of you know when your a driver its hard to get days off in the summer, and the weekends most doctors aren't even in the office.

It not hard at all just call in and bang off. I do it when I need a day off sick or not. Just don't make a routine of it (ie only on friday, or monday ).

The thing about going back is that your in the union once they start letting one go back more will follow and like I said you would have people working the local sort and or preload making $30 as your their pay would be determined from there original start date. If I had 20-25 years of driving in and could go back to work PT at $30 hour and still get full benefits I would.

IF your where quit you run the risk of being put on the no rehire list.

UPSGUY72

As bad as it sound I would go back to $8.50, I was up to $17 in 5 years, I know not as much as $30 but i'm only making $21 now.

I know, "there only boxes" but when you have 300+ on your truck, you can't see though your truck, its very overwhelming, I 'm getting anxious right now just thinking about it. The problem with calling off is I burned though all my personal/sick days at the beginning of the year when my son was sick so if I call up now management turns it into a big deal usually resulting in me not getting the day off.

What's the big deal you call in this is so and so I won't be in don't let them give you a sob story about how they need you. I would call using my cell phone so you have proof and make sure you know who your talking to. If you all ready burned all you sick / personal days than you just won't get paid for that day.

JE78

It not hard at all just call in and bang off. I do it when I need a day off sick or not. Just don't make a routine of it (ie only on friday, or monday ).

The thing about going back is that your in the union once they start letting one go back more will follow and like I said you would have people working the local sort and or preload making $30 as your their pay would be determined from there original start date. If I had 20-25 years of driving in and could go back to work PT at $30 hour and still get full benefits I would.

IF your where quit you run the risk of being put on the no rehire list.

I guess that makes the most sense and probably why there is a very slim chance I can go back to pt time because if one person can do it everyone can.

As for the no rehire list, why would they blackball me like that? Other than its corporate? I mean I have experience inside the building. Just don't get it.

UPSGUY72

I guess that makes the most sense and probably why there is a very slim chance I can go back to pt time because if one person can do it everyone can.

As for the no rehire list, why would they blackball me like that? Other than its corporate? I mean I have experience inside the building. Just don't get it.

That what they do these days put people on the no rehire list. It because in the past people quit than came only to quit again.

TSJ

I do believe there is a loop hole. Apply for a Part-Time Supervisor position. You will be back in the building working 20-25 hrs a week :-) Good luck.

UPSGUY72

I do believe there is a loop hole. Apply for a Part-Time Supervisor position. You will be back in the building working 20-25 hrs a week :-) Good luck.

With just a little more stress.

PACNW

Thanks for responses. I do have alot of anxiety when it comes to the job, especially before and when I get to work. Last week I actually got sick before I left my house because I was thinking about how hot it was and it was wednesday the busiest day of the week, how it was a new route and then thing I know...yack! When I get to work my heart start racing, I start sweating like crazy heavy breathing, alot of heartburn too. I eat Tums all the time. The nights before work are the worst, I sit around looking at the clock just thinking of how bad the next day will be. A good example is right now my something in my ear is twitching and it driving me crazy.

Grgrcr88 I have thought of the 22.3 job and would gladly do it but there are only a few spots in my center and guys with alot more seniority have them so they won't be coming up anytime soon.

Do you remember if she was full-time? We had a guy that got his full time status the same time I did, a few months later he was on some meds for allergies and I guess it didn't allow him to drive because he was back working inside the building.

I don't know what departments got involved, but one day she came in and looked at her load and started hyperventalating. She was a seniority full-time driver. Still works for the company today. I heard she may have been helped by the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). I think the company has to try to "reasonably accomidate" your disability, which for her meant going back to part/time.

Another option for you would be to go into management as a p/t sup. When we switched over to PAS we had a driver near retirement that put in for the newly created PDS pt position. He was offered the job, but backed out at the last minute because he found out it would cost a fortune to cover his kids medical in the managment health plan.

whiskey

Yes, it does occur, but it is rare. But once back to your part time job, UPS can and will make your life difficult.

JE78

Thanks for the responses.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I think the first thing you should do is go see a doctor. Make an apointment and call in sick if you have to but go. There is medication out there to help with your anxiety problems. You might find your able to cope if you get good treatment.

paidover95

Quit and find a job that you enjoy doing!!!No amount of $$ and benifits are worth it!!!

ibleedbrown

Question for je78 how did u make it through ur first 30 days and how long have u been driving? Have u always had this anxiety? u should make a doctors appointment ASAP. The doctors will be able to help u. Another idea would be to ask for an on car sup to ride along with you, maybe you guys can talk about the problems w ur load/route. Also not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but definitely talk w ur union steward/union hall, it would b a shame to give up such a highly paid job especially w this economy/job market.

JE78

Question for je78 how did u make it through ur first 30 days and how long have u been driving? Have u always had this anxiety? u should make a doctors appointment ASAP. The doctors will be able to help u. Another idea would be to ask for an on car sup to ride along with you, maybe you guys can talk about the problems w ur load/route. Also not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but definitely talk w ur union steward/union hall, it would b a shame to give up such a highly paid job especially w this economy/job market.

My first 30 days were horrible. I was working till 8pm most days, I have no idea how I qualified to be honest. The person than trained me was brand new to delivering and being an on-car sup so I didn't get the best training. It wasn't until 2 other on car sups went out with that I finally got the rhythm down right at the end of my 30 days. Yes I've always had the anxiety issues, I remember when I first start as a cover driver I was on the same route for 4 months and it was a pretty heavy route and I'd come in and the truck would be packed the entire way though and I'd just start freaking out, i'd have to walk away and sit down. This anxiety is only when I'm at work, or think about work, I'm normally a very laid back person, it takes alot to get me worked up but the thought of going to work tomorrow gets me very anxious.

brownelf

every FT position that comes up for bid has been taken by a driver sick of the long hours in our building. Those I have talked with say it's worth the pay cut for the peace of mind and shorter hours, all have said they'll never go back to driving. Years ago driving was the job to have, nowadays nobody wants it..

brownedout

My first 30 days were horrible. I was working till 8pm most days, I have no idea how I qualified to be honest. The person than trained me was brand new to delivering and being an on-car sup so I didn't get the best training. It wasn't until 2 other on car sups went out with that I finally got the rhythm down right at the end of my 30 days. Yes I've always had the anxiety issues, I remember when I first start as a cover driver I was on the same route for 4 months and it was a pretty heavy route and I'd come in and the truck would be packed the entire way though and I'd just start freaking out, i'd have to walk away and sit down. This anxiety is only when I'm at work, or think about work, I'm normally a very laid back person, it takes alot to get me worked up but the thought of going to work tomorrow gets me very anxious.
I've read where a couple of people had said to get a doctor involved. This is good advice, your anxiety may be a medical condition, and may be aleviated by medicince. As bad as this may sound, I actually hope this is the case. The stress you are putting upon your mind and body will surely result in something bad. Call your doctor immediately and get first available appt. Call in sick that day. Just do it. Don't get dragged into an argument, don't fall for a sob story. "I have a Dr.'s appointment, I can't make it in" End of story, you've fulfilled your obligation. Being on these forums probably doesn't help your cause if your anxious while thinking about work. As hard is this may sound, you can't do a thing about your load till it's in front of you tommorrow, why would you even give it any thought tonight? Please consider the mostly good advice some of your fellow upsers have offered. Best of luck to you.

JE78

Just wanted to give an update. Today I went in and was showing 158 stops on my truck, 350+ packages and I started to freak out. One of my supervisors was there and saw it all, he assured me that someone would come take some stops off me but it didn't really calm me down much because i've heard that before and been out till 8pm. Lucky for me someone did come and took some stops off me. When I got back to the building I talked to that supervisor and told I wanted to goto the doctors for my anxiety sometime next week and he said he would look at the staffing and let me know a day. I'll let you know how I make out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just wanted to give an update. Today I went in and was showing 158 stops on my truck, 350+ packages and I started to freak out. One of my supervisors was there and saw it all, he assured me that someone would come take some stops off me but it didn't really calm me down much because i've heard that before and been out till 8pm. Lucky for me someone did come and took some stops off me. When I got back to the building I talked to that supervisor and told I wanted to goto the doctors for my anxiety sometime next week and he said he would look at the staffing and let me know a day. I'll let you know how I make out.

Although it does sound like your on-car is trying to work with you, I would set up an appointment, give him the date and let him work around that. If he can't and you still have days left simply bang in. Your health is far more important.