Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building?

JE78

Re: Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building

I don't have any days left to use but I'm going to call tomorrow and make an appointment for monday regardless what my sup says. They cut 5 routes on mondays anyway, i'm sure it won't be a problem.

PACNW

Re: Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building

Good luck with everything, I hope you are able to work out a solution one way or another.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I don't have any days left to use but I'm going to call tomorrow and make an appointment for monday regardless what my sup says. They cut 5 routes on mondays anyway, i'm sure it won't be a problem.
Use the FMLA for your dr appt. (if they threaten to write you up)In the future, if you have no days and are sick enough to see a dr and get a note, use FMLA. Always get a note for work.

JE78

Hey guys, just a quick update. Today I talked to my staffing guy and he gave me monday off, I made a 1130 appointment with my doctor.

Tward the end of my day I get a call from my on car sup, he said to me "i hear you have monday off and that your going to the doctor, what for?" I told him for anxiety and he laughed. Then asked me "what, are you working too many hours or something?" I said yea, something like that. He said "Can you come in monday before your apointment and talk to me and mike?" (he's our district manager) I asked him why, you guys aren't MD's so what different would it make. We went back and forth a few times and just settled on that I would call monday. I talked to my strewed and told him I wasn't going to call, I cleared the day off with one sup, there's no reason why I need to come in and "talk" about anything. I'll do all the talking with my doctor and then let them know what the doctor has to say. He agreed so that was that.

outta hours

Never share any personal health information with your supervisors or manager. It is none of their business. When you are not at work, whatever the reason, keep it to yourself. I have seen drivers with personal problems cry on their sups shoulders, only to have it used against them in the future. You are not involved in their personal life, don't include them in yours. Especially medical issues. Good luck.

JE78

Well I hope it doesn't backfire against me. I have a feeling thats why they wanted me to come in and "talk" to them monday before I went to the docs.

outta hours

Well I hope it doesn't backfire against me. I have a feeling that's why they wanted me to come in and "talk" to them Monday before I went to the docs.

Of course it is. I have seen several drivers taken out of service and put on comp for stress and anxiety. It is a valid medical condition. That's what they are "concerned" about. Not your well being. Your original post stated that you have repeatedly informed them of your excessive hours. It's no coincidence that now that they know you are seeking medical help, they are all of a sudden are interested in your well being/hours.

If you agreed to call in Monday, do so. Simply call and remind them that you are scheduled off for the day and will not be in. That's it. Do no engage in any other conversation. No matter how they try and manipulate you to come in or discuss your health situation. You can always call your steward or even another hourly first,then link up to the center. That way you will have a witness. You possibly have a medical condition, do not let anyone minimize it. If you had a broken leg you would not go in first and "discuss" it with your center & divsion mgr. before seeking treatment. This situation needs to be handled the same way.

After your appointment keep all of this in mind and remember:
1. It's none of their business what your diagnosis/prognosis is.
2. What medications you are on.
3. What treatment/ therapy is needed.
4. If you are taken off work, the only info they need is your approximate return date.

I do wish you luck. Hopefully with some medication, therapy , and /or time off you can get your life back. Stress, depression, and anxiety can be very debilitating. It is often categorized as being all in your head, or a sign of weakness. Which it is neither. It is a real medical condition.

brown_trousers

Of course it is. I have seen several drivers taken out of service and put on comp for stress and anxiety. It is a valid medical condition. That's what they are "concerned" about. Not your well being. Your original post stated that you have repeatedly informed them of your excessive hours. It's no coincidence that now that they know you are seeking medical help, they are all of a sudden are interested in your well being/hours.

If you agreed to call in Monday, do so. Simply call and remind them that you are scheduled off for the day and will not be in. That's it. Do no engage in any other conversation. No matter how they try and manipulate you to come in or discuss your health situation. You can always call your steward or even another hourly first,then link up to the center. That way you will have a witness. You possibly have a medical condition, do not let anyone minimize it. If you had a broken leg you would not go in first and "discuss" it with your center & divsion mgr. before seeking treatment. This situation needs to be handled the same way.

After your appointment keep all of this in mind and remember:
1. It's none of their business what your diagnosis/prognosis is.
2. What medications you are on.
3. What treatment/ therapy is needed.
4. If you are taken off work, the only info they need is your approximate return date.

I do wish you luck. Hopefully with some medication, therapy , and /or time off you can get your life back. Stress, depression, and anxiety can be very debilitating. It is often categorized as being all in your head, or a sign of weakness. Which it is neither. It is a real medical condition.

I bet the call is just to fish for information. At my center if anyone claims injury or otherwise, they sit you down and and try to convince you that it was actually something from your personal life that led to the injury. Like if you say your shoulder is hurting they'll try and blame it on you lifting weights at the gym. I heard they one time tried to blame someone's wrist injury on the fact he played guitar outside of work, and that contributed to an "unnatural use of the wrist". lol... Don't give them too much information!

AZBrown

Teamster by choice

Outta hours has the best take on this. I don't know about work comp, but your condition is covered under FMLA.
I think the words that cover you are "ongoing and episodic", but compa seems like another safe route to go.
And since money isn't your problem, 120 available days off a year isn't a problem either.
But you must get the process rolling with the doctor, and it's good you got in on Monday.

menotyou

bella amicizia

They are trying to get out of an injury report. I would call them and remind them of your appt. If your dr takes you out of work, call back with a witness and report your injury. Make sure you get a slip from the dr and fax it in. Do not let them manipulate you.

JE78

Thanks guys. @Brown_Trousers, my first year driving I had something go wrong with my knee, I didn't fall on the job and couldn't pin point a time when it started hurting but about half way though my day I could barely walk. Because I couldn't pin point a time when I hurt it on the job they convinced me that it wasn't a work related injury. I was stupid for letting them do that but I really didn't know much better I guess.

I'm going to my doctor tomorrow but I was talking to a friend, pretty much the only guy I talk to out of work that I work with and he said he contacted a doctor though the Employee Assistance Program thats on the UPSers website. Has anyone used them before? He said they're not affiliated with UPS at all. Just wondering if that might be something I should also give a call too tomorrow after I see my doctor.

JE78

Thanks for the info guys. I talked to a friend and fellow driver and he said he's been seeing a doc for anxiety as well, he went though the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) thats on the UPSers site. He said there not affiliated with UPS. I was thinking of calling them tomorrow once i'm done with my appointment. Has anyone used them?

JE78

Ok, why do you think that wouldn't be a good idea?

menotyou

bella amicizia

Even though it's not affiliated, it's connected. When I worked for the state, they had the same program. Within a couple of weeks, everyone knew why you went. I didn't use the program, but heard why other people did.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

JE78, you should make the decision whether or not to go through EAP on your own, not based on advice from an anonymous Internet forum.

JE78

I've never heard of it until yesterday, just trying to get some advice about it.

menotyou

bella amicizia

JE78, you should make the decision whether or not to go through EAP on your own, not based on advice from an anonymous Internet forum.
I don't think Trish from Watertown, NY who use to work Preload then went full time then went out on injury is anonymous. Since there isn't another Trish working there, I'm pretty sure I have 'outed' myself. As far as EAP, why use it when your own dr can discreetly refer you to a dr more than able to address your issues. Using the EAP Program is for personal issues, not work-related issues.But, don't believe me. Check that out for yourself, as with any and all ADVICE you may receive in your travels.

menotyou

bella amicizia

By the way, JE78, don't pay attention to the bickering some of us do with each other. It has nothing to do with you or your WORK-RELATED issues. Good luck and please keep us posted.