Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building?

JE78

Re: Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building

I just got back from the docs. I told her everything that has been going on and she pretty much said my three options were meds, counselling, or find a new job. I told her my issues with taking the meds, this is only the only part of my life that gives me this anxiety and stress. I don't want the meds to effect the rest of my life. She asked if there was any other jobs at UPS than driving, I mentioned the part time in the building jobs and she asked if that was an option. I told her the situation so she said that she would suggest that I work part time for 4 week while I start the meds to see how I react to them. I just have to talk to UPS now and see if thats a option or not.

JE78

Re: Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building

Not sure why but I submitted a few threads but they don't show up so I'll try this again.

Went to the apt at 1130, the told the doc what I've been going though. She pretty much told me I can either take meds, get some counselling or find a new job. I was hesitant to take meds so I agreed to try them, since this job was the only thing effecting me I didn't want it to mess up the rest of my life. So she said she would take me out of work for 4 week to give my body time to adjust to them, I told her I needed to get a paycheck so she asked if there was light duty or anything that didn't involve driving so I told her about the part time in the building stuff I used to do so she told me she would suggest that.

So I called my boss, told him what was going on and he said he didn't think I was allowed to work in the building and that he had to make a few calls. He called me back and told me I had to talk to this girl in Syracuse who deals with this stuff, so I call her. She told me that I can't go back inside the building and work part time but if the doc didn't want me driving that I could claim disability for the 4 weeks so I get paid, or take FLMA. She also told me about the employee assistant program and that I get 6 free visits that UPS pays for. So tomorrow I have to call my doc, see about the disability and call the EAP thing and make an appointment and go from there..

Last edited:

247spies

It. Has been done. You may be able to get on fmla for stress related sickness or general health issues if you have them, your hours could be reduced, do not quit and get rehired they'll likely not rehire you... You could lose your license and get assigned in building which even if you have an article 22.3 job one of the shifts will let you not come to work a lot if your slow... Talk to your local

menotyou

bella amicizia

You would have gotten comp for those 4 weeks.

trickpony1

You're making a serious mistake using the EAP and getting the company involved in any of your personal issues.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Thank you!! Finally someone agrees with me!! She would have gotten comp for those 4 wk's. Now, UPS has her using disability instead of owning what they caused. And, she's allowing it.

JE78

Just thought i'd give everyone an update. I talked with my doctor and she's not willing to put me on disability and I refuse to us FMLA for it, well I refuse to use 1 week of my vacation for it because I have non-refundable plans for the remaining 2 weeks of my vacation. So as it stands right now my boss is giving me as much time off as I need/want without being penalized for it or so he says. I made an appointment with a lady from the EAP for monday, its not what I want to do but I'll be willing to see what she has to say about my situation.

I also found out something very interesting. The guy thats covering my route was at a college I deliver to today and my mother inlaw works there as well. She thought it was me, went up to the truck and the cover driver went off on her about me. Said I better get back to work because he hates my route and that he heard I took a month off. Now here's the thing. I haven't said a word to anyone but my supervisor and my center manager about my situation so someone talked to the driver or drivers. To me this has to be crossing some kind of line, I mean everything i've told them is suppose to me kept under wraps would assume right? My guess is it was my on car sup but who ever it was i'm not too happy about it to say the least.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it were me I would be having a private discussion with a particular cover driver.

JE78

If it were me I would be having a private discussion with a particular cover driver.

I plan on it, but only to find out who he heard it from. Its one thing to complain to random people but to complain to someone I know, what an idiot!

menotyou

bella amicizia

I plan on it, but only to find out who he heard it from. Its one thing to complain to random people but to complain to someone I know, what an idiot!
I would think he's only restating what was told to him. Why not be angry with the source?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think he's only restating what was told to him. Why not be angry with the source?

That would not be the focus of my conversation--no one "goes off" on one of my family members, especially when that person has nothing to do with it.

menotyou

bella amicizia

My point was that the cover driver had confidential information. How did he get it? That was the only point I was covering. If he went off on my family member, I'd be in jail.

JE78

My point was that the cover driver had confidential information. How did he get it? That was the only point I was covering. If he went off on my family member, I'd be in jail.

Well the only reason I was going to talk to him was to find out who told him and what he heard. Then I would have a little talk with him about common sense.

Scratchy

You would lose you building seniority, not company seniority. If you no longer wish to drive this may be the best option for you.

Can someone give me an example when it's advantageous in having greater building seniority over someone who has greater company seniority? Yes, I'm new, lol.

Jackofalltrades

In the new contract in our supplement specifically you can go back to PT but your seniority is end-tailed and you are not eligible to re-bid a full-time gig for 3-years. You keep company seniority, wages and vacation accrued though. You also go back to your PT wage based on your company seniority

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

For me it wouldn't be going back to part time.