Has The UPS Truck Passed Me By?

bigbipper

In 1982, my oldest brother brought me home a toy from his new job that he took during that year's holiday season. That toy was a die cast of the iconic brown UPS truck. I was only 8 years old then and I placed truck up on my dresser. I wanted to drive that truck one day.
Well, the years rolled on and that seasonal job my brother had turned into a 20 year career that ended in Loss Prevention.

I grew up, went to college to become a chef, finished with a degree in English and just left the IT industry after 15 years. I'm 36, married with 4 kids, and am at a cross roads. Through the years I kept the truck as a reminder. Last month my 5 year old boy found the truck and asked me what it was. I told him it was my "first" job. He asked me why I had quit. I then asked myself why I never started?

So, is it too late for me to become a UPS driver? Or has my truck already left the hub?

Thanks for listening.

BigBip
Albany, NY

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In 1982, my oldest brother brought me home a toy from his new job that he took during that year's holiday season. That toy was a die cast of the iconic brown UPS truck. I was only 8 years old then and I placed truck up on my dresser. I wanted to drive that truck one day.
Well, the years rolled on and that seasonal job my brother had turned into a 20 year career that ended in Loss Prevention.

I grew up, went to college to become a chef, finished with a degree in English and just left the IT industry after 15 years. I'm 36, married with 4 kids, and am at a cross roads. Through the years I kept the truck as a reminder. Last month my 5 year old boy found the truck and asked me what it was. I told him it was my "first" job. He asked me why I had quit. I then asked myself why I never started?

So, is it too late for me to become a UPS driver? Or has my truck already left the hub?

Thanks for listening.

BigBip
Albany, NY

W H Y ?

rocket man

Well, the years rolled on and that seasonal job my brother had turned into a 20 year career that ended in Loss Prevention. YOU ARE AT A GREAT AGE TO START

Thanks for listening.

BigBip
Albany, NY

Cementups

Box Monkey
With the attitude you express towards wanting the job, then why not. Go for it and follow your dream. Good luck if you try it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Went to school to be a Chef, got an English degree, worked in IT and want to be a UPS driver. Are you going to leave after 5 years to run for Congress?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

bigbipper, if you haven't been there already, do yourself a favor and go to the hub in Latham. If you don't know where it is, it is off of Rte 7 West just past the Northway. Turn left just past Friendly's. While they won't let you watch the operation you should be able to see it from the customer counter. This will give you a glimpse of what you would be getting yourself in to. There are four centers out of Latham and it is the 2nd biggest hub in NY. (Syracuse is 1st)

My advice to you is to use your degree. Dave.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can being a UPS driver really be considered a dream?

When I walk in to 90% or more of my stops I know that I am better compensated, insured and will have a much more secure retirement than the person I am delivering to.

It may not be a dream but it sure as heck beats a lot of the other options available, especially for those of us with just a HS diploma.

That being said the OP needs to use his degree. Dave.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When I walk in to 90% or more of my stops I know that I am better compensated, insured and will have a much more secure retirement than the person I am delivering to.

It may not be a dream but it sure as heck beats a lot of the other options available, especially for those of us with just a HS diploma.

That being said the OP needs to use his degree. Dave.
I almost blew right past this post, but decided to comment. You're so right, Dave! As far as using his/her degree, sometimes THIS, can be better than THAT. js

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

Thanks for listening.

BigBip
Albany, NY

The good news is if you do drive for UPS you might be able to actually drive a truck made in 1982

bigbipper

With the attitude you express towards wanting the job, then why not. Go for it and follow your dream. Good luck if you try it.

I know, I was thinking the same thing. Its the one thing that has stayed a constant in my life. The brown truck. My brother had a key chain in the mid 80's that I never forgot to this day.

Keep your eyes moving
Make sure they see you
Get the big pitcture
Leave yourself an out
Aim high in steering

I knew these before I knew the periodic table.