has ups put the heat on freight for excess idling?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have seen ups freight trucks idle the whole time while taking a lunch or even picking up a customers shipment, has ups addressed this. They want to nitpick a package car stopped at a red light for a minute, but a freight driver idles for an hour and nothing is said? Maybe its time for IE to take a walk through the ups freight operations and start cutting some expenses that seem like they are a no brainer. wait until you guys get telematics, since you use diads you wont be on the dock drinking coffee with the customer anymore.good luck!

It's all on the way to the Freight side!! The way they have been cutting cost with us is using outside carriers while the bottom 10 to 15 drivers are starved by only getting 2 to 3 days a week!!!!! So I think we would rather get a full week of work and get harassed about idle time then only work 2 to 3 days a week!!!!!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How many hours have you spent watching freight drivers eating their lunches for an hour??

its not hard old when you drive by a business that has a freight truck and the driver is leaning against the door taking a nap with his hat over his face then I cone through again later and the truck is in the exact same place. It wasnt a jab just a question since they are using diads and can probably get telematics hooked up to monitor this stuff also.....

City Driver

the day we get telematics is the day i come to terms with the fact that overnite is gone and is never coming brown

i hate this company more and more everyday, i really do....except the pay and benefits of course

maxicoze

They don't want ANY idling here at freight. i've even had complaints about idling at traffic lights!

i HAVE NOT, however, been disciplined about this in any way.

I have seen ups freight trucks idle the whole time while taking a lunch or even picking up a customers shipment, has ups addressed this. They want to nitpick a package car stopped at a red light for a minute, but a freight driver idles for an hour and nothing is said? Maybe its time for IE to take a walk through the ups freight operations and start cutting some expenses that seem like they are a no brainer. wait until you guys get telematics, since you use diads you wont be on the dock drinking coffee with the customer anymore.good luck!
Yes

badpal

Freight makes huge profit margins for us, small package doesn't
Not disagreeing with you , but is the freight operation a pretty profitable part of the company? They really have no local operations in my part of the world. I have always wondered how they competing nationaly against the big boys.