Hauling mail

tireknocker

Hear we are now hauling USPS mail from NY to LA on a 90 day trial run. Anyone else here about this? Could mean more feeder jobs? WE have the network in place to do this.

JonFrum

I would think the Postal Service could find others to haul their mail across country, including their own people. UPS feeder drivers would be too expensive.

Maybe in limited situations the Postal Service uses UPS air, but would that create more ground feeder jobs?

tireknocker

They do have contract carriers but USPS is looking to save money! Most of their trailers go down the road 50% full. UPS has found a way to stack their bins in the trailer's now they go @ 100%. Just wait and see what this does to feeders if they go with UPS!

ups1990

Mail? Why not right, if we're already delivering peoples junk, why not deliver a little junk mail to go with it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx line-hauls the Express Mail and Priority Mail products now, so the USPS has set a precedent for outsourcing already. I know there are a bunch of trucking firms that are dedicated postal haulers, so perhaps the Post Office wants a higher level of service and reliability for it's mail. I wish they'd use us for some of their truck line-haul because Fred has outsourced every CTV (feeder) run that he can, acing FedEx drivers out of work. Many of our feeder drivers are part-time and will never have the opportunity for full-time work.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Hear we are now hauling USPS mail from NY to LA on a 90 day trial run. Anyone else here about this? Could mean more feeder jobs? WE have the network in place to do this.

TOFC's: NYPA to LAMetro via CHI Rail Yard. VERRRYYY cost effective! Our Feeder network MAY see some of this. It depends on BD to sell point to point service rather than drop and pick at the rail yards. JMO