Have heard that UPS is going to replace all the hubcom with the new mobile device?

fatthief

It will also replace all the paperwork and it can easily capture pictures of nice wall and upload to the system. People will clock in using this device and all the document will be done with this device also.

542thruNthru

Re: Have heard that UPS is going to replace all the hubcom with the new mobile device

I dont understand what you're talking about. Please explain more.

Buck Fifty

Re: Have heard that UPS is going to replace all the hubcom with the new mobile device

Maybe you should just keep lurking.

blkmamba

Basically the talk for the last year is that the hubcoms that part-time employees use to clock in on various sorts (it is also used for updating trailers, checking trailer numbers, etc) will be replaced with an Ipad or similar device.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

I've been told that the tablets being designed are only for outbound supervisors, which will allow them to update trailers/call for pulls/etc. on the fly. I can't see them integrating it with the time card system, as it has the potential to be a massive gaggle****. If it ain't broke, don't fix it..

blkmamba

I've been told that the tablets being designed are only for outbound supervisors, which will allow them to update trailers/call for pulls/etc. on the fly. I can't see them integrating it with the time card system, as it has the potential to be a massive gaggle****. If it ain't broke, don't fix it..

Exactly. At least in the building I worked in it was not a hubcom issue, it was the supervisors in the outbound and feeder that failed to communicate that led to the majority of the problems.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Exactly. At least in the building I worked in it was not a hubcom issue, it was the supervisors in the outbound and feeder that failed to communicate that led to the majority of the problems.

While there's only been very limited -- if any -- testing on the tablets, they might end up being a safety hazard. I've been in outbound trailers (many times) that have been pulled without the PT supervisor checking the load first and gotten a free ride out in the yard. At least if the supervisor has to pull a trailer from the hubcom there's more of a chance they'll actually have to walk past the truck instead of him putting in the request from the HVD while picking off or while loading a truck (ie. stealing union work).

blkmamba

While there's only been very limited -- if any -- testing on the tablets, they might end up being a safety hazard. I've been in outbound trailers (many times) that have been pulled without the PT supervisor checking the load first and gotten a free ride out in the yard. At least if the supervisor has to pull a trailer from the hubcom there's more of a chance they'll actually have to walk past the truck instead of him putting in the request from the HVD while picking off or while loading a truck (ie. stealing union work).

As a former supervisor, I agree 100% as I took a few free rides myself. It was mostly do to putting paperwork last minute, regardless I have a feeling many supervisors will spend time looking at the tablet and being less aware of their surroundings. Some will utilize it the way it should be, but I do feel if it is implemented it will be a distraction causing more safety issues. And we all know how much UPS truly cares about safety.

brownIEman

So what do you do if it IS broke?
The hubcom terminals are no longer made by the company that supplies them, so we cannot get them replaced as they fail over time. A new solution will have to be found.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream

It's not a stretch for the new systems to do time cards as well. Our hubcoms already do outbound, trailer #'s, and time cards. But each Hub and center is a little different. But if UPS can successfully make all hubs and centers run the same systems the same way, the company will benefit immensely.

blkmamba

UPS is sinking money into systems that will supposedly improve operations. For example, the smart scanners were suppose to eliminate misloads. My building saw no real decrease in misloads do to the new technology. If they would invest that time and money into proper training across the board (union and non-union) they might see a real change.

542thruNthru

So you are not familiar with ICU?

You pretty much got it right though.

​If you are looking for nice perhaps you should put ICU on ignore.

Naw its no big deal. I was just confused. :)

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream

The smart scanners were never built to eliminate misloads. No one would waste a minute developing something impossible. They were built so a new person could come in and get up to speed a week faster than before. Or double shifters come in and go just as fast as usual since they don't have to worry about checking a load chart. In that, they're a rousing success.

blkmamba

The smart scanners were never built to eliminate misloads. No one would waste a minute developing something impossible. They were built so a new person could come in and get up to speed a week faster than before. Or double shifters come in and go just as fast as usual since they don't have to worry about checking a load chart. In that, they're a rousing success.

All I ever heard from the management side was that they would eliminate mis-loads. I personally felt employees should still have to learn the zips. Some outbound destinations like a CACHT and a CACHN are extremely close together. But with smart scanners they don't worry about needing to know zips, so in that aspect you are correct.