Have some Cola with your August raise?

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
Anyone else Hear about this?

To: All UPS Local Unions

Package Division

Date: June 22, 2011

Re: COLA Increase - 2011

The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers – All Items (1982-84=100), for the month of May, was recently released.

In accordance with Article 33 of the UPS National Master Agreement, all seniority employees who have completed their appropriate wage progression will receive a Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA) of 12 cents per hour, effective August 1, 2011. Employees still in a wage progression on the effective date of the COLA increase will receive the COLA on the date that they complete their wage progression. For employees paid under the mileage provisions of Article 43, the COLA increase will be 0.300 (three-tenths of a cent) per mile.

The COLA increase is in addition to the August 1 General Wage and Mileage Rate Increase.

Packmule

Sound like 12 cents we could do without. I'd rather have something done about some the human rights issues resolved--like hours contol, horrendous accident policies, forced to deliver misloads, and the right to take OR SKIP a full hour break. Keep their dumb 12 cents. Just pisses managment off.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm kind of surprised we are getting this. Though price of groceries has gone up considerably. I know a lot of people wanted to cover rising gas prices but I am to the understanding that COLA is not set to cover gas prices since you techincally don't NEED to survive since there are alternative forms of transportation to get you to and from work.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm kind of surprised we are getting this. Though price of groceries has gone up considerably. I know a lot of people wanted to cover rising gas prices but I am to the understanding that COLA is not set to cover gas prices since you techincally don't NEED to survive since there are alternative forms of transportation to get you to and from work.

Go shopping with the wife at the grocery store sometimes. Prices are noticeably up over last year.

rod

Retired 22 years
Someone should tell that to the Social Security people. I got on SS just in time for a 2 year freeze in COLA payments.

I know---I should count my lucky stars they are still paying out SS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unions locals in the NYS Teamster Pension plan voted to divert their split raises for the duration of the contract to the pension plan. COLA raises weren't discussed or mentioned but I have to assume that these would be diverted as well.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I know a lot of people wanted to cover rising gas prices but I am to the understanding that COLA is not set to cover gas prices since you techincally don't NEED to survive since there are alternative forms of transportation to get you to and from work.

How? In my urban area, we don't have bus service, no trains, no nothing, unless you call a taxi at 1.15 per half mile. I either have to walk, ride a bicycle, or drive SOMETHING 8.8 miles one way to work.

JonFrum

There are several different Cost Of Living Indexes published by the Labor Department. Our Index went up 4.1%. You may hear news reports quoting a different Index that went up only 3.6%. Each Index is also broken down various ways with energy or food or some other factor not included.

Our "split" raise on August 1 will be half of 85 cents. So we'll get 42.5 cents plus 12 cents witch equals a 54.5 cent raise.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sound like 12 cents we could do without. I'd rather have something done about some the human rights issues resolved--like hours contol, horrendous accident policies, forced to deliver misloads, and the right to take OR SKIP a full hour break. Keep their dumb 12 cents. Just pisses managment off.
Packmule,

Are you being harassed at work?

I encourage you to report any possible harassment immediately.

Sincerely,
I