Have the Libyans Done What Once Thought Impossible?

wkmac

Rumor circulating that Gadhafi has fled Libya but for now this is only rumor. Dutch internet service provider XS4ALL has now setup internet service in Libya so more and more information is coming out.

I bet the Saudi Royal family is really starting to get nervous!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Colonel Gaddafi laid low for a long time you didn't hear a word about him.......now the Libyan planes are shooting the people as they demonstrate.

bbsam

Staff member
I'd love to see several sorties from an American fighter group in the area start taking out the Libyan Airforce. Nudge things along a little bit. High-stakes gamble, but one I think might just pay off. If the House of Saud is the next rat to flee, we may need a friendly Arab state.

wkmac

I'd love to see several sorties from an American fighter group in the area start taking out the Libyan Airforce. Nudge things along a little bit. High-stakes gamble, but one I think might just pay off. If the House of Saud is the next rat to flee, we may need a friendly Arab state.

Disagree. We've meddled enough over there and much of their problems, we are at the root of. Some scream about domestic gov't intervention causing unintended consequences and yet we so often never consider that the same harm we cause at home with domestic policy can also have the same ill effects in foreign policy.

Let the Middle East settle their own affairs on their own terms. Yes, our oil will go up and we will have to pay the piper economically across several fronts as a result, but that bill was gonna come due at some time so why not pay it now, be done with it and move forward. I just hope as things change in the region, documents and secret hidden facts are made public of what has really taken place over all these years in the region and I hope Wikileaks gets them and makes them all public.

Expose it all, Crush the Bastards!

moreluck

golden ticket member
The old guy with the pillbox hat says the protestors are serving the devil. He doesn't appear to be going away without fighting.

wkmac

I disagree also. I'd still like to see it.

How therefore do you condemn Bush then for his interventions?

From one POV, getting rid of Saddam on scale is the same as ridding the world of Gadhafi so in that sense Bush's actions are justified alone on the point you make!

Also makes the case IMO made by Thaddeus Russell and thus I see no real difference between the statist who support republican causes and those statist who support democrat ones.

bbsam

Staff member
I condemn Bush for interventions that I believe were made under false pretext. And in fact I don't condemn him for Afganistan and continue to believe we need to stay there militarily until we can on the diplomatic front ease tensions between India and Pakistan (yes that could be a long, long time). I'm not even interested in "ridding the world of Gadhafi" because (here's the difference with Saddam) he's on his way out. The people have moved against him and it is a matter of time. That we would take out fighter jets on their way to strafe demonstrators is far from invading a country. It's not about republican or democrat, it's about judicious use of power. And yes, I think it was a huge failing when Bush 41 left the Kurds to be slaughtered. And yes, I think Mogadishu was perhaps Clinton's biggest blunder.

moreluck

golden ticket member
PlantB20110223_low.jpg

Lue C Fur

Evil member

Well if North Korea, Iran, and Chavez say it then it must be true...LOL As for Canada...: "Several countries, including Iran, Venezuela, North Korea, and Saudi Arabia but also Canada, give Libya positive marks for the legal protections afforded to its citizens -- who are now revolting against the regime and facing bloody reprisal."

wkmac

I condemn Bush for interventions that I believe were made under false pretext. And in fact I don't condemn him for Afganistan and continue to believe we need to stay there militarily until we can on the diplomatic front ease tensions between India and Pakistan (yes that could be a long, long time). I'm not even interested in "ridding the world of Gadhafi" because (here's the difference with Saddam) he's on his way out. The people have moved against him and it is a matter of time. That we would take out fighter jets on their way to strafe demonstrators is far from invading a country. It's not about republican or democrat, it's about judicious use of power. And yes, I think it was a huge failing when Bush 41 left the Kurds to be slaughtered. And yes, I think Mogadishu was perhaps Clinton's biggest blunder.

Seems at the moment the Libyans want us to stay out of it and I think we should honor that.