Have we open the door for production harassment?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Try it and you'll laugh all the way to the bank far faster than 8 months. Most states take non-payment of wages very seruiously. If your center manager doesn't then a phone call from the state will change his/her tune. Try it then laugh about how much easier than filing a grievance that was.

There is a stack of grievance forms on the counter outside our dispatch office. Filing a grievance is as simple as filling the form out correctly and then either mailing it or faxing it to our Local. If you know the correct Article of the contract that is being violated, then filling out the grievance form shouldnt take any more than 5 minutes. I have never had the pleasure of dealing with my states Bureau of Labor and Industries, but if it is anything like any other state of federal government bureacracy then you can count on filling out a lot more forms and/or spending a hell of a lot of time with a phone in your hand either on hold or pushing buttons to get through an automated system. No thanks, I think I will stick with what works, which is the grievance procedure.

Indecisi0n

Yea its great where I am. We start every morning singing Kumbaya in a foot kick-out toga line reach around. Then management ask if anyone's load is to heavy or package to hard to lift and to put them on the belt and someone will take care of it for ya. Sweet huh?

Here's my advise for your 8 months no pay issue. 1, Knock on your center managers door and discuss the discrepancy in detail with them. Explain to him/her that you would like to be made whole by this pay period. Should you not be you knock on there door Monday morning and explain that rates of pay are what the union negotiates but enforcement is a federal and state legal issue. Again, request to be made whole by the next pay period.

Watch how they run.

​Next problem you think you need a grievance for?

You think that wasn't done within the 8 months? You're clueless Dave.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
There is a stack of grievance forms on the counter outside our dispatch office. Filing a grievance is as simple as filling the form out correctly and then either mailing it or faxing it to our Local. If you know the correct Article of the contract that is being violated, then filling out the grievance form shouldnt take any more than 5 minutes. I have never had the pleasure of dealing with my states Bureau of Labor and Industries, but if it is anything like any other state of federal government bureacracy then you can count on filling out a lot more forms and/or spending a hell of a lot of time with a phone in your hand either on hold or pushing buttons to get through an automated system. No thanks, I think I will stick with what works, which is the grievance procedure.

Thanks for the info but I well knowledgeable regarding the how and why's of grievance filing. I found that UPS and the Teamsters like to keep things in house so a little pressure from a outside party, one that has the power to audit and fine, has been far far and away more effective. My point has and continues to be to work things out with management before any need for unpleasantness like grievances or state or federal complaints. Knowing where your leverage is and where it isn't is key to any actionable cause against another party.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
More and more Bollocks and Rubbish!

I'll wager that going to an outside agency as you have repeatedly suggested would put a FAR larger target on one than the driver who follows the prescribed,accepted methods of resolution.
Dont say that 728 didn't warn YOU

regardless,if one follows the methods and works safely one has nothing to fear. Cut and Dried

Try and learn to read. I said sit down with the center manager and try and resolve the issue first. Grievance are exactly what the company wants because they can play politics with the union and spin there wheels as long as they want. I mean whats the biggest compliant you hear from members that file grievances? My experience and guess is non-action. Not saying of course all grievances are created equal. I've seen some petty stuff in my day but for wages not paid, the state department of employment security is your best motivators. The last thing UPS wants is a state agency with the legal authority to audit time records milling through there files.

BTW this "follow the methods" meme is just a crock of horse sheet. They don't care 1 iota about your methods. The only time the scream methods is when something goes wrong. They want number...money..more and more faster and faster. I probably scratch my route 3 or 4 times a month but for the most part its 10-30 minutes paid over and they don't say boo. Why because that about right given the variables in the time study. The time studies are not perfect but there pretty darn close if your not BS'in around.

I take my full hour and stop when I have to use the restroom. The only thing I'll admit too is giving up 1 or 2 ten minute breaks now and again. Mostly because I find myself BS'in around and offset it with not taking a break or 2. You know what for a little concession you get a lot. They don't hassle me, ride me, and I can get all the OT I want. 1 or 2 ten minute breaks at straight time is a pittance to loggerheads and grievance filing. Heck while I'm at the confessional I even chit chat with my preloader in the morning before my start time and move a few packages where I want them. Not more than 5-10 minutes.

Practicing work rule religion usually hurts both parties in the end and where supposed to be working together. UPS is my employer and as much as I appreciate all the articles in the contract I don't lean on them for my relationship with management. We have a company full of sheet-house lawyers nick picking the tiniest bullsheet they can find.

stink219

Your logic is skewed. Let's say anything you say is true. You give up your brakes "at straight time"? Ok. Follow me. Does any driver work less than 8? So if you work 8 but not work your breaks, that's an additional 20 minutes on the back end. Thus 20 min of OT. The only way you can work through a break at straight time is to punch out in 7 hours and 40 minutes. Please don't ever think that way. If you give up 20 min a week and stay at the same rate forever, you would give up about $25,000 over your career. Remember, just because a break is taken during the straight time doesn't mean its calculated as such.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Your logic is skewed. Let's say anything you say is true. You give up your brakes "at straight time"? Ok. Follow me. Does any driver work less than 8? So if you work 8 but not work your breaks, that's an addition 20 minutes on the back end. Thus 20 min of OT. The only way you can work through a break at straight time is to punch out in 7 hours and 40 minutes. Please don't ever think that way. If you give up 20 min a week and stay at the same rate forever, you would give up about $25,000 over your career. Remember, just because a break is taken during the straight time doesn't mean its calculated as such.

See what I mean about sheet-house lawyers. Stink219, esquire.

stink219

Your logic is skewed. Let's say anything you say is true. You give up your brakes "at straight time"? Ok. Follow me. Does any driver work less than 8? So if you work 8 but not work your breaks, that's an addition 20 minutes on the back end. Thus 20 min of OT. The only way you can work through a break at straight time is to punch out in 7 hours and 40 minutes. Please don't ever think that way. If you give up 20 min a week and stay at the same rate forever, you would give up about $25,000 over your career. Remember, just because a break is taken during the straight time doesn't mean its calculated as such.

See what I mean about sheet-house lawyers. Stink219, esquire.
Um, anyone with more than a 4th grade education can figure that out. And you said it, not me.