Have you heard of the Orion System, what do you know?

UPSGUY72

I am looking for any information on this topic.

Yes the system sucks. They had it in the two smaller building (25 +/- and 20 +/- routes in each building) in my area after 18 months they gave up. It only as good as the information you put it to it mean that every address has to be programmed for every possible scenario. They hand 4 or r5 people tweeking the system for 18 months and still couldn't make it work as it was intended.

It gives you times that you have to be at each stop no taking into consideration any real world happens. It also will rearrange your EDD after you run your air so that you start your route in the area where you last air stop was. It also makes you deliver both sides of a street no matter if you can't cross the street (ie divided road). I could go on but it's a waste of time. It's suppose to make your delivery days more efficient however someone has to be tweaking system 24/7.

Last edited:

bumped

In theory, I could see this system working. But, like most veryone else that drives for UPS our loads are not loaded in Hin for Hin order. Most of the time its slightly better than section loaded looking for the 3rd of 3 packages or the 4th of 4 packages especially in the AM where space is limited.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Last I heard Orion may have been abandoned. On of my previous on-cars used to be involved in it and said it didn't fair very well.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
That UPS for you we will try to make it work no matter what the cost is.

Once the decision has been made to implement it, they will do so whether it works or not. If it doesnt work, they will simply pretend that it works. No time or effort will be expended in trying to fix the problems; instead, the focus will be on chasing irrelevant metrics and documenting and assigning blame for those problems in order to perpetuate the illusion that the system is working. What happens out in the real world will not matter as long as the local management teams can find a way to make it look good on a report.

soberups

One of our long-time trademarks.
Not as bad now as we use to be.

Actually, we are far worse now than we used to be.

Advances in technology have given us the ability to measure more things than ever before.

Once we can measure it...we can manage it. Once we can manage it....we will then micromanage it.

Our company is now saddled with an an entire layer of "management" that does nothing but chase an ever-increasing number of irrelevant metrics.

talkwith

We were told in a recent PCM that we would have it by next year. Apparently, it is being improved. The big problem is that your EDD is rearranged after delivering your NDA but you have to dig through your load to find the correct packages since it is not in the same order.

soberups

I can already see the writing on the wall.

First, the system will be implemented with little or no input from anybdy with any local area knowledge.

Once implemented, the drivers will be required to follow ORION to within a certain "percentage". It might be 70%....it might be 85%...it might be whatever random number gets pulled out of the ass of the IE guy in another time zone who is in charge of the damn thing. Whatever that number is, it wont have any correlation to reduced miles, improved service, or common sense. And we will chase that number right off a cliff if we have to.

The really fun part will be when (or if) My Choice ever gets up and running. When you combine the time windows dictated by MyChoice with service commitments for Next Day Air, Next Day Air Savers and On Call Air....add a bunch of businesses that can only be delivered from 9:00AM-11:59 AM or 1:01 PM to 5:00 PM....throw in 20 or 30 pickups that must be stop completed within 15 minutes of their scheduled time....mix in containment issues and bulk stops....factor in the routes that get eliminated 20 minutes before start time in order to comply with a Stops Per Car mandate.....and then dump a big steaming pile of ORION compliance on top of it all.....you will wind up with a complete and total custerfluck. No matter what the driver does, there will be some sort of metric that he is unable to generate. Any action he takes to get off of one report will simply cause him to show up on a different one, and anything he does to be "in compliance" with one expectation will cause him to fail at another. And the IE maroon in his cubicle will look at his maps and charts and reports and wonder why none of his bright ideas are working.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...or we could just wait and see what happens....

Everyone was all worried about My Choice but as Sober said we are still waiting for it to get up and running.

If your DOL is set up properly I would think Orion would only make it that much better.

UPSGUY72

Everyone was all worried about My Choice but as Sober said we are still waiting for it to get up and running.

If your DOL is set up properly I would think Orion would only make it that much better.

It has come and gone in my area.

UPSGUY72

It has come and gone in my area.

My choice isn't making a bit hit either we got PCM that there is a competition to see what building can get the most people to sign up for it. Apparently it hasn't been a big hit and in order to justify it they want us to get people to sign up for a service that really isn't going to provide much more of a service for them.