Hawaii California

bigblu 2 you

When I was stationed in Texas there was a tornado warning for the local area. After putting my two young children in a center hallway under a mattress, I ran outside with a camera and was able to get pictures of not one but two tornados coming down and then going back up in to the clouds. They were within 5 miles of base housing so there was no immediate danger.

Natural disasters bring out sightseers.
his last words were"im coming honey,just one more pic".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

his last words were"im coming honey,just one more pic".

You ever see a tornado? They are one of the most deadly forms of weather but they are awesome to watch. The first one started to go to the ground but then pulled back up. The second one did reach the ground and, unfortunately, trashed a trailer park. One of the pictures I took showed them both midway to the ground.

helenofcalifornia

I saw the "surge" in Santa Cruz yesterday on TV. It was just like you hear on TV. A strong pull of the water out to sea (in this case, about 100 yards) and then a wave that came in and was higher than the last. The thing that struck me was the surfers out there and when the water retracted, one surfer got off his board and walked it in. The harbor got hit hard when a three foot wave came in and knocked all the boats together. A lot got loose, some sunk, etc. Crescent City should have known better since it happened to them in '64. Hawaii got hit harder.

satellitedriver

You ever see a tornado?

All too often , and the after effects.
Just like lighting, they can drop down out of nowhere.
One passed over and ripped off all the roof trusses on the house I was building.
One twisted a 5ft diameter trunk of a red oak tree and laid it down in my hay field.
One blew through and I found the broken blades of my porch ceiling fans a 100yrds from the house.
The one that got close and personal passed over my shop and as I was diving to get under my welding table for some form of protection I watched the roof open up like a Venetian blind.
From start to finish-(time gets distorted when stuff is going down)- was maybe 60 seconds.
Awesome is a good description of the destructive force.

bigblu 2 you

You ever see a tornado? They are one of the most deadly forms of weather but they are awesome to watch. The first one started to go to the ground but then pulled back up. The second one did reach the ground and, unfortunately, trashed a trailer park. One of the pictures I took showed them both midway to the ground.
lived in detroit mi when i was young and saw one from the backyard while my mom was sending us to the basement,,have to say even though we knew it was a dangerous thing it was hard to walk away.also had to assume the tornado position in the hallway of our school a couple times that year.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
From what Cheryl posted earlier the warnings were for 1-3' waves, which is not that dramatic. We get biggers waves than that from the Atlantic during hurricanes.

As Over said, they line up on the beach with surfboards under their arms.

A 3' wave is no big deal....unless its 15 miles deep and continues flowing onshore for 2 hours. The height of the wave is less important than the duration and the volume of water behind it.

I live an hour from the beach in northern Oregon. There was no appreciable damage up here, but the town of Brookings down on the California border got creamed, with several million $$ worth of damage to the port.

As far as I am concerned, anybody who disregards a tsunami warning and goes out onto the beach needs to spend a week in jail. When idiots like that get in trouble, the Coast Guard has to go out there in a lifeboat or a helicopter to save them. I could care less whether some idiot dies, but I dont like the fact that Coast Guard and other emergency personnel have to risk their own lives attempting a rescue.

upsgrunt

A 3' wave is no big deal....unless its 15 miles deep and continues flowing onshore for 2 hours. The height of the wave is less important than the duration and the volume of water behind it.

I live an hour from the beach in northern Oregon. There was no appreciable damage up here, but the town of Brookings down on the California border got creamed, with several million $$ worth of damage to the port.

As far as I am concerned, anybody who disregards a tsunami warning and goes out onto the beach needs to spend a week in jail. When idiots like that get in trouble, the Coast Guard has to go out there in a lifeboat or a helicopter to save them. I could care less whether some idiot dies, but I dont like the fact that Coast Guard and other emergency personnel have to risk their own lives attempting a rescue.

Sober,
I'm not condemning you or sticking up for the "storm rubber neckers", I'm just taking a different point of view.
I'm sure you'll admit to making some stupid decisions when you used to drink. How are the storm warnings and danger the rescue and emergency personnel were in that you complain about any different than the warnings you received and the potential danger you put the same rescue and emergency personnel in.
As far as I can guess, the only difference is that you didn't ever get caught.

Respectfully

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober,
I'm not condemning you or sticking up for the "storm rubber neckers", I'm just taking a different point of view.
I'm sure you'll admit to making some stupid decisions when you used to drink. How are the storm warnings and danger the rescue and emergency personnel were in that you complain about any different than the warnings you received and the potential danger you put the same rescue and emergency personnel in.
As far as I can guess, the only difference is that you didn't ever get caught.

Respectfully

Yes I did make plenty of stupid decisions, and for the most part I wound up facing the consequences of those decisions. People whose actions place other peoples lives in danger need to face consequences. I know many people for whom a night or two in jail was the "wake up call" they needed to start making better choices for themselves. Anybody who willfully disregards a tsunami warning and goes down to the beach deserves a "wakeup call" of their own.