Hazmat School

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Soccer97, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Soccer97

Soccer97 New Member

Who is Hazmat Certified? Is there any study material to study from before going to week long class to get certified?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Single digit midget!

Does your center/hub currently have a certified hazmat responder? If so, I would think that this person would/should have the study material that you would need. If not, ask your mgt team or safety committee to secure a copy from their district hazmat coordinator.

• Like Like x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  3. Soccer97

Soccer97 New Member

Thank You! Only certified person on our Local Sort is Sup & she is on vacay for 2 wks. Now they wanna send me.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Single digit midget!

They should be able to e-mail the district coordinator and have the material in hand before you go to school.

5. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

I am...not really much to study beforehand. Though if there is anything you want to know, I can probably help. I also have all of the designated responder books right here.

Actually, you might want to go in there with a blank slate tabla rasa...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  6. DriverNerd

DriverNerd Active Member

I was a responder for years before becoming a driver. You're only going to remember about 20% of what you learn in class. The rest is all going to come from the person who helps train you on the job. Don't worry about studying before hand.

7. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

Generally agree but I didn't get any real training on the job. You learn by taking the class, doing the job and also if you work alongside an experienced responder, you can see what they do and how they handle DMP. The "flow charts" basically tell you exactly what steps to take, anyway.

8. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. capt42

capt42 New Member

No need to study. 25 percent class knowledge, 75 percent on job training. If you have a half decent trainer you will be fine.

10. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

When I was a responder, the key was reading the flow chart and filling out the correct forms. Pretty easy, really.

11. dookie stain

dookie stain Cornfed whiteboy

It’s a sup? Grieve her for every hour she ever worked. Think we care? Roll damn tide.

12. Wally

Wally BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

The company bathroom needs a Hazmat team every Monday morning! What are they ingesting over the weekend?

13. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Our health/ shifter guy recently(allegedly) taste tested a leaking hazmat that later turned out to be medical waste. You will be fine.

14. CentralSup

CentralSup Member

You dont need to study before hazmat acceptance auditor/responder school. The week long class will teach you everything you need to know to pass the test.

15. Soccer97

Soccer97 New Member

Thank you!

16. Soccer97

Soccer97 New Member

I'd have to say, tha seems like our bathroom also

17. Hazmat responder or Hazmat auditor? The latter requires no previous knowledge. But be prepared for 8 hours a day for 5 days of painfully boring regulations.

I'm the hazmat auditor at my hub. It's a cool job and definitely less physical than everything else. But it's the most important! You CANNOT make mistakes. This ain't the load where you can throw 10 missorts and no one gives a :censored2:.

18. Boxslinger11

Boxslinger11 Next gen teamster

Sounds like cake where do I sign up