Hazmat test? on or off clock....

Kis124

I usually show up for my shift about 20 minutes early so I can shoot the breeze and have a smoke before start time. Our safety sup cam out to the break area with a hazmat test and said, here...do this. I told him I wasn't on the clock and I am not taking any safety test off the clock. He said just fill out your name and sign..I will do the test for you. Opinions?

UPSGUY72

I usually show up for my shift about 20 minutes early so I can shoot the breeze and have a smoke before start time. Our safety sup cam out to the break area with a hazmat test and said, here...do this. I told him I wasn't on the clock and I am not taking any safety test off the clock. He said just fill out your name and sign..I will do the test for you. Opinions?

If you signed you name your where working off the clock. Should have told him sure I'll take the test I first need to punch in. Then when he said just sign the form tell him again hold on I need to sign in first...

NEVER SIGN A BLANK PIECE OF PAPER...... In this case you will be ok because he needs the paper work for his file and he needs the paper work to be correct not wrong so he isn't going to put in the wrong answers it would make him look like a a hole more than you.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The sup wouldn't have done this if he hasn't been successful before. Inform your fellow employee that all training is done only on the clock and not to sign anything they havn't completed themselves.

ymelord

how ever long the training took is how long you get paid for it's not a set time, but it probably takes about an hour is my guess

kingOFchester

READ people. OP stated test, not training. If it were me, I would clock in and take the test. free money. If I was busy enjoying a conversation I would inform the safety sup that I would be able to clock in early the following day to take the test.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Kis124,

This is a serious integrity issue.

This exposes the character, methods and honesty of this department in your area to be in direct conflict with UPS Policy and Conduct.

This kind of behavior can not be tolerated by any UPS employee.

This incident needs to be reported.

The employees of this company deserve honest individuals at least in the Safety Dept.

If we don't stand up to corruption in this area then employees and their families will continue to suffer the most when honesty and care is needed the most.

Sincerely,
I

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Punched in every time I was asked to do the hazmat review, does not last more than 5 minutes

READ people. OP stated test, not training. If it were me, I would clock in and take the test. free money. If I was busy enjoying a conversation I would inform the safety sup that I would be able to clock in early the following day to take the test.

pretty sure I read and understood the OP post
I punch in, the sup pulls me into the room and asks questions about hazmat and I answer those questions. I call it a review because that is what it feels like, test,review all the same to me in the context of this topic.
Oh and outside of the original training, have not been requested to or have not signed any document regarding hazmat test / review

Kis124

we can punch in when we get there, but we don't start getting paid until our start time. I have spoken to our steward, and am filing a greivence tomorrow. he was actually in the preload this morning and saw a whole lot of violations. The new employees are not union savvy. I had 2 unloaders in the trailer I was spaing, 1 sorter, and the bay next to me had a sup unloading. Yes, the steward saw that, and is filing

btrlov

Don't sign it because you will eventually have to do it legit anyway. Your doing the sup a favor. The Sup clearly forgot that you needed to be certified on some obscure exam and trying to be efficient m asked you do it when he spotted you. Its is an integrity issue. However another viewpoint is simply the sup has employees whom refuse to answer safety questions in a correct manner, so he has been accustomed to doing it the wrong way. In my hub the hourlies, despise UPS safety management so much that they answer the questions in a manner that makes fun of UPS. They know the contract requires them to answer but nothing about what is actually is being said. Some employees only care about safety as it relate to how much time they can extent themselves on the clock- they point every safety problem in this instance...This often leads faking paperwork too

rod

Retired 22 years
Make sure you are on the clock and then take your sweet time taking the test. The longer the better------it drives them nuts. Go for the record on how many times they say "Aren't you done yet?" Who knows---they may even leave you alone the next time they are looking for bodies to test.