health care cost on W-2s

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
....talk to me in 2016 if, assuming, we still have freedom of speech. I'd be interested in what your opinion is. Unions are great and, yes, I am a union member but I'm not willing to whore out my country for a paycheck.

Yeah, 2016 was the year I heard freedom of speech was going away...deep breaths, man, deep breaths...

bbsam

Staff member
Technically speaking, your FedEx Ground drivers shouldn't be "independent contractors."
They aren't. You really should update your Fedex dispersions. I am the contractor and I have several drivers who work for me...but that's for a different thread...or five.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Can anyone explain to me why it's ok to complain about what taxes are being raised instead of wanting full transparency on what the govt. is spending stuff on? I can guarandamntee you that they're things we spend money on that should be discretionary at best. Why raise taxes when we could get rid of pork spending? We can stop rebuilding foreign countries. We can not send military jets and several Abrams tanks to ehffing Egypt. There's plenty of ways to cut loads of spending FIRST and then see where we are. And they need to use accrual accounting like the US makes companies that make over $5 million instead of cash accounting. The US double counts so much that if they were a corporation, they would be audited and fined immediately.

bbsam

Staff member
Not really. You could cut all discretionary spending and not come close to dealing with the deficit. Sure there's waste,fraud and abuse, but not nearly the trillions and trillions needed to be cut.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I understand that sam. I didn't mean to come across that that's the panacea to our budget. That's not the point though. We spend billions each year on things we don't need and things that don't have a payoff. What I'm saying is cut what we don't need first and then look at taxes. It's the right thing to do. If we cut out reoccurring expenditures that have zero payoff then our year end would surplus and over time it chips away at the mountain. I believe a country shouldn't have a surplus per se. The last time the government had a zero debt obligation was 1836. After that there was a 5 year depression and then the debts soared from then on.

bbsam

Staff member
The problem arises, sort, in that nobody wants the cuts "in their back yard". Have you noticed that they continue to talk about cuts to entitlements but somehow lately defense is left out of the discussion? We have a very vocal right wing contingent around here about making budget cuts until they start talking about closing the very large local employing Rock Island Arsenal. Federal money spends very well in local economies.

Ms.PacMan

The tax will be on the insurers. If they go over $27,500 for a family plan starting in 2018 they will be penalized with an excise tax.

And for those of you saying "but that cost will be passed on to me" then tell me how.....because if they raise your rates the tax will only be higher for them.

The tax will be 40% of every dollar over the limit, which can then be used to lower the cost of exchange plans that you can buy. Checkmate!

barnyard

KTM rider
Defense spending could be cut in half and we would still have a very effective military. Except our economy is so dependent on defense spending that it it were cut to a reasonable level, it would drive us into a depression.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
With the drop in the share price of Apple, Exxon Mobil is again the wealthiest company in the US.
Why do we give them billions of dollars a year in tax breaks?

Please get the big picture, bbsam.
Are you one of those people that proudly announce to others that, "well.....you just don't like him because he's black."?
I have to go to work pretty soon so I can support the freeloaders, welfare recipients and those that just don't feel like rolling out of bed, otherwise I would post a big, long response to your question.

It astounds me that people like you apparently don't know that the "many" that you refer to already have "free" (at my expense) healthcare.
Some people in the healthcare industry that I know are afraid the older people with co-morbidities will be sent home to die, of course, this doesn't immediately affect you so you probably don't care.
Who cares if he is black?????

browned out

I noticed on my W-2 that ups is paying $18994.92 for my families insurance for last year. Anyone else notice this?

Just wondering if others with families had different amounts on thier w2's. Mine was very close to the above figure. UPS offers many different benefit plans. What is the amount on supervisors w2's? Is the amount different in Areas where UPS offers 3 plans; an HMO, PPO and Traditional? They all can't cost the same or be worth the same? I don't know if this amount is based on what UPS pays or what the individual would have to pay on their own.

balland chain

We are going to be taxed for the amount UPS pays for our Shi**y insurance, that is insane.. I would not mind if it was good insurance, but having to pay for Central States insurance, that pisses me off. !!

barnyard

KTM rider
I am in the Central States plan. For our family, it is the best insurance that we have ever had from any employer. My wife has worked at 3 different jobs while I have been a UPSer. All 3 offered benefits, that she would have had to pay for and all 3 paid her a higher wage when she refused their benefits. She was required to sit through annual benefit meetings and comparing their plan to ours, CS was far superior.