Health Care Reform and extended dependent coverage if you are retired management

justasking

I retired in December 2009 and had a child graduate from college this year. According to the Healthcare Reform Act this child should be able to continue coverage until age 26 unless she has coverage available through her own employer. I am being told by both UPS human resources and Aetna that she will NOT be extended coverage because I am retired. I have spent hours reading the actual HCR and the only loophole that seems to be out there is that plans that are "retiree only" are not required to comply to any of the reforms although there is no definition or determination of what makes a plan "retiree only." I really can't believe that UPS would take this stance since they voluntarily adopted the extended coverage early for all other employee plans. It does not make sense that they would decide to leave the relatively some group of children of retirees out in the cold! Has anyone else gotten different answers to this question?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NYS Teamsters has yet to extend coverage to dependents up to age 26 for active employees, let alone retirees. I would be awfully surprised if retirees are included when this change does take place.

justasking

I guess I should specify this is in Ohio and UPS Aetna plans have already extended that coverage voluntarily to all groups except retirees.

moreluck

golden ticket member
second & third marriages with the trophy wife thing going will cause 60 yr olds to have toddlers. Happens all the time.

justasking

I would be curious as to how many retirees have dependents under the age of 26.

That's part of my point. Not only is this age group (22-26) one of the least expensive to cover , but it is likely a relatively small number of people this would apply to - at this point. I believe it is likely to happen more as retirees become younger.

ZILLA

I'm a 22 year old about to be screwed over by this. If anyone has any more information about this, please let me know :(

ZILLA

Just had a friend link me this;

"Although the extension of coverage to children up to age 26 is mandatory for group health plans as of the first plan year beginning on or after September 23, 2010 (the Effective Date), the requirement generally does not apply to grandfathered group health plans until plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2014.3 There is an important exception to the grandfather rule, however. Specifically, to the extent that a child under age 26 is not eligible for coverage under another employer-sponsored group health plan (other than a grandfathered plan), a grandfathered group health plan is required to extend coverage to the child as of the Effective Date."

Did UPS a loop-hole to get out of this?

Popeye

I retired in December 2009 and had a child graduate from college this year. According to the Healthcare Reform Act this child should be able to continue coverage until age 26 unless she has coverage available through her own employer. I am being told by both UPS human resources and Aetna that she will NOT be extended coverage because I am retired. I have spent hours reading the actual HCR and the only loophole that seems to be out there is that plans that are "retiree only" are not required to comply to any of the reforms although there is no definition or determination of what makes a plan "retiree only." I really can't believe that UPS would take this stance since they voluntarily adopted the extended coverage early for all other employee plans. It does not make sense that they would decide to leave the relatively some group of children of retirees out in the cold! Has anyone else gotten different answers to this question?

You must be thinking of the OLD UPS. The NEW UPS doesn't give a flying fornication about you or your children once you retire. All you are is an expense, and a smaller expense is better than a bigger one. The days of UPS doing the right thing, just because it's the right thing are ancient history. The NEW UPS will smile at you while they're screwing you and tell you how much you should like it.

Six Sides

The information from your post has stopped one of oursupervisors from his planned retirement. It was not stated in the pre-retirement documents that his children areno longer covered to age 26, as they are under our plans for activeemployees. When he called the benefitsline this was confirmed. In hissituation dependent health care is imperative.
This needs to be clearly stated in pre-retirement planningdocuments, or even better do the right thing and include our children in healthcare.