Health Care when retired

tunemixer

Don't hold your breathe expecting to see univeral health care in your lifetime. They all talk big when they want to get elected. Tell you what you want to hear for your vote.
I can still hear Bushs old man on tv saying." Read my lips. There will be no new taxes " I didn't vote for Obama but now that hes going to be our president I support him . I hope he turns out to be the best president we have ever had. But his hands are tied . Right now health care is an issue that will be put on the back burner. Too many other issues .

rod

Retired 22 years
Right now health care is an issue that will be put on the back burner. Too many other issues .

I predict that EVERYTHING will be put on the back burner and it will be business as usual. O has already been back pedaling in issues like the war and the economy. Now he says stuff like "we might not get it fixed in my first term but bare with me". Meanwhile the rich will get richer and the middle class will continue to wither away. Damn that's depressing- I think I will go have a beer.:peaceful:

satellitedriver

Im in local 597 . I will be retiring n 362 days. At age 62. My insurance will be paid for me alone from age 62 until age 65 thats when medicare takes over.I'm told by our BM the nsurnace is almost as good as what we have now. We will both be covered fully for 6 months after I retire.Under the same plan we have now. My wife is much younger so she is not covered. I will have to find insurnace for her.
Tune,
Read the fine print on taking your SS at 62.
If you do, then you do not get MediCare until you are 66 years old.
You will have to Cobra from 65 to 66 and that is very expensive.
Good Luck.

29th Christmas

Yo WyoBill,
This is your neighbor in the opposite corner of the state (formerly 25yr vet). Looks like just under 3 yrs till I can retire @ age 50 and 31 years with the company. Has your fishin' buddy Grant found a place up there in your neighborhood to move to when he retires this year? :wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Putting the max into the 401K is the best advice.

I had to use the majority of mine to buy out and up my teamster retirement. Only time will tell if that was the smartest move, considering the stock market.

d

ups79

Tune,
Read the fine print on taking your SS at 62.
If you do, then you do not get MediCare until you are 66 years old.
You will have to Cobra from 65 to 66 and that is very expensive.
Good Luck.

Can you tell me where you have read this? Under what part of the SS or Medicare site.

ups79

Thanks. I will look into this. I have heard Cobra is expensive.I am also looking into a part time job that pays benefits .

In our local, if you get a part time job with benefits, kiss your UPS insurance good-bye. You might also loose your pension temporarily until you quit that part time job.

tunemixer

I just got off the phone with the SS office. I found out I can collect Medicare at age 65 and NOT age 66. My cost IF would be 96.40 per month. Thats the 2009 rate. It did not go up from 2008. Its possible it could go up a couple of bucks in 2010. I will retire at age 62 Dec.28 2009 I need to file 3 months ahead and I will get my first check the 2nd Weds in Feb of 2010. As it stands right now. I can earn 14160.00 a month in retirement. If I make more then that they take 1.00 for every 2.00 I earn. At age 66 I can earn up to 37680.00 .
They are sending me some booklets. If I see anything that anybody might be interested in I will pass it on.
I know a friend of mine from UPS retired two years ago with 30 years at age 52. he is receiving something like 3500.00 a month. He took a hit in the benefit a few years ago when they did away with 30 and out and changed the retirement age to 57. I was not affected by that.I feel for many of you that will have to stay longer to get your retirement.
I will receive about 4079.00 a month at age 62 with 26 years .
Age 64 is when retiriees can receive the maximum benefit. Because I am closer to 64 I receive more. Looks like age has its advantages sometimes. They feel they won't have to pay me as long as my friend. But I'm going to fool them and live to 100.

P

pickup

"but I am going to fool them and live to a hundred"
Amen , brother, and when you break that mark and get your picture on the today show , go for at least another fifty in good health.

ups79

I just got off the phone with the SS office. I found out I can collect Medicare at age 65 and NOT age 66. My cost IF would be 96.40 per month. Thats the 2009 rate. It did not go up from 2008. Its possible it could go up a couple of bucks in 2010. I will retire at age 62 Dec.28 2009 I need to file 3 months ahead and I will get my first check the 2nd Weds in Feb of 2010. As it stands right now. I can earn 14160.00 a month in retirement. If I make more then that they take 1.00 for every 2.00 I earn. At age 66 I can earn up to 37680.00 .
They are sending me some booklets. If I see anything that anybody might be interested in I will pass it on.
I know a friend of mine from UPS retired two years ago with 30 years at age 52. he is receiving something like 3500.00 a month. He took a hit in the benefit a few years ago when they did away with 30 and out and changed the retirement age to 57. I was not affected by that.I feel for many of you that will have to stay longer to get your retirement.
Age 64 is when retiriees can receive the maximum benefit. Because I am closer to 64 I receive more. Looks like age has its advantages sometimes. They feel they won't have to pay me as long as my friend. But I'm going to fool them and live to 100.[/QUOTE

not knowing where he got his imformation, I thought he was wrong. Never have I read anywhere that if you start collecting SS at 62(which is what I plan on doing this year) that you can not start medicare until you reach the age of 66.

tunemixer

I didn't just pull these figures out of the air.I got the information right from the horses mouth on the phone to the Social Security office. 1-800-772-1213 I had to go through pushing a few if you want buttons and wait about 15 minutes but I was on with a very nice person and I didn't feel rushed.It was well worth the wait. You can also go to www.socialsecurity.gov and get info.
The age to collect IS 62 IF your birthday is by a certain date.Not sure what that is. I think its before 1955-1956 Mine is Dec 7 1947 My wife is also qualified at age 62 and she is 54 now.They changed it a few years ago and I seem to remember she was just under the wire.Her Birthday is May 26 1954. But I can get Medicare at 65 NOT 66. I will look into the parttime insurance deal as well.
Make the call if you don't believe what I wrote. You have to call at least three months before you plan on retiring anyway. I won't get my first check until the second Weds of Feb 2010 and as of right now thats about 1500.00 a month.My last day at UPS will be Dec.28 or 29 2009 .And they take the Medicare right out of the check so you don't have to make payments. They don't take taxes out either. You are on your own with that.

ups79

I didn't just pull these figures out of the air.I got the information right from the horses mouth on the phone to the Social Security office. 1-800-772-1213 I had to go through pushing a few if you want buttons and wait about 15 minutes but I was on with a very nice person and I didn't feel rushed.It was well worth the wait. You can also go to www.socialsecurity.gov and get info.
The age to collect IS 62 IF your birthday is by a certain date.Not sure what that is. I think its before 1955-1956 Mine is Dec 7 1947 My wife is also qualified at age 62 and she is 54 now.They changed it a few years ago and I seem to remember she was just under the wire.Her Birthday is May 26 1954. But I can get Medicare at 65 NOT 66. I will look into the parttime insurance deal as well.
Make the call if you don't believe what I wrote. You have to call at least three months before you plan on retiring anyway. I won't get my first check until the second Weds of Feb 2010 and as of right now thats about 1500.00 a month.My last day at UPS will be Dec.28 or 29 2009 .And they take the Medicare right out of the check so you don't have to make payments. They don't take taxes out either. You are on your own with that.

I hope you don't think I am disagreeing with you. I believe you completely. The "satellite" poster has it wrong.

wyobill

Yo WyoBill,
This is your neighbor in the opposite corner of the state (formerly 25yr vet). Looks like just under 3 yrs till I can retire @ age 50 and 31 years with the company. Has your fishin' buddy Grant found a place up there in your neighborhood to move to when he retires this year? :wink2:
Hi Neigthbor
I sure hope you Retire in 3 yrs. I highly recommend it. Bye the way
there's no fish up here.:happy-very:

satellitedriver

Age 64 is when retiriees can receive the maximum benefit. Because I am closer to 64 I receive more. Looks like age has its advantages sometimes. They feel they won't have to pay me as long as my friend. But I'm going to fool them and live to 100.
I can only address the early taking Of SS at the age of 62 and that delays Medicare till the age of 66.
A phone call to SS means nothing.
Call again and you will get another answer.
My brother is going through this dance with SS and Medicare at the age of 65.
He retired at age 55 and started SS at 62.
Great thing you are not in Central States.
$2,500 a month for a 25 and out, but you must deduct 1/2% for every month that you are under the age of 65 and no health insurance if you are younger than 57.
I am 55 1/2 years old with 22yrs in.
Maybe I should start taking better care of myself, since it looks like I now have 10 more to go.

tunemixer

I'll have it in writting in a couple of weeks. I know what you mean about getting different stories from different people.
I'm not saying anybody is right or wrong.I know how words can get twisted just going from one person to another. I will be doing lots of research in the next year.
Sat. I hope things work out with your brother.
And yes you need to take care of yourself. We just lost a driver to cancer a couple of weeks ago. He was only 46-47 years old.His advice to use just two weeks before he died was. If you have something wrong with you don't let it go. Get it checked out. Thats what he DIDN'T do. We have had two other drivers with cancer in the last four or five years . They both beat it. One retired early this past May . The other is just 51 .
I'm in great shape and feel good.The guys at work are always asking me how I do it.One thing I think helps is NOT to complain. The job is hard enough but adding stress makes it worse.I know what I have to do and I just do it. Trust me. I have my days . But I adjusted my attitude several years ago because I knew I was in it for the long haul.