Heat in Warehouse

irregguy89

I woke up this morning and the temperature was -6 it felt like -35. I went to work this morning and I thought to myself I know that the warehouse wouldn't be stupid enough not to have the heat on today. Of course I'm not surprised I walked into the building today and find that a main water line has frozen and busted with water all over the floor and ice starting to form . I thought well they'll have to turn the heat on now so it won't freeze. Nope the maintenance guy is putting down salt so the water won't freeze and another guy sucking it up with a vacuum type thing. In my area today it was 21 degrees and I had to work a four hour shift with only a 10 minute break to get warm. I'm not one to complain but I think something has to be said as to why UPS will not turn on the heat on the coldest night of the year. Wondering if other people have to deal with the same thing?

TheFigurehead

Seriously?

The OP's hub has heat. UPS doesn't want to turn it on.

UPS has a responsibility to provide a reasonably safe workplace. I don't think asking them to flip a switch to turn on the heat is an unreasonable request in terms of employee safety. The only reason not to is greed.

This is just another example of the company putting a few pennies above the safety of it's employees. You are ok with that?

You'd be ok being sent out in -6 degrees with no heat in your truck? Somehow, I doubt it.

This isn't a private business owner trying to decide whether to turn on the heat or make payroll this week. It's UPS. They can afford it. There is no morally justifiable reason to force anyone to endure those conditions.

brett636

I agree that isn't right. The sad truth is there is a building heat provision in the contract, and you have every right to file a safety grievance on the matter. The issue comes in when the grievance process takes till next July for the company to finally settle and agree to turn the heat on on X degrees only for the same issue to arise next winter when you rinse and repeat. If turning on the heat in a building is going to make the difference in the company being profitable that day or not then this company has bigger issues than cold buildings. I think its pretty obvious the heating system is there and needs to be utilized when the temperatures get this bad as a simple matter of respect for your fellow human beings who deserve at least that much.

over9five

Staff member
We have the state law regarding heat in warehouses etc posted in our union bulletin boards. At least in Mass, they can't NOT heat the building.

Sent from Mordor using BrownCafe app

oldngray

nowhere special
The question is, is UPS refusing to turn on heat, or is there a problem with the heat? If there was a water line break then I suspect its an equipment problem. UPS certainly pinches pennies when its a matter of worker's comfort, but they won't go so far as where it causes damage to facilities. UPS values its buildings more than its people.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I woke up this morning and the temperature was -6 it felt like -35. I went to work this morning and I thought to myself I know that the warehouse wouldn't be stupid enough not to have the heat on today. Of course I'm not surprised I walked into the building today and find that a main water line has frozen and busted with water all over the floor and ice starting to form . I thought well they'll have to turn the heat on now so it won't freeze. Nope the maintenance guy is putting down salt so the water won't freeze and another guy sucking it up with a vacuum type thing. In my area today it was 21 degrees and I had to work a four hour shift with only a 10 minute break to get warm. I'm not one to complain but I think something has to be said as to why UPS will not turn on the heat on the coldest night of the year. Wondering if other people have to deal with the same thing?
You're cold?? Move faster! No matter how cold it is in your building....it's nothing compared to the subzero temps a lot of drivers are dealing with today. I'd take 5 hours loading in a cold building to 10+ hours being outside today (it's -15 here with the wind chill).

oldngray

nowhere special
when I preloaded it was about 40 degrees on the boxline in winter. Even colder if any doors were open. We all had to wear jackets when loading. None of this sissy running around in shorts like now.

irregguy89

Move faster! Yea, there is nothing like getting paid 14 dollars a hour and break your back in 21 degrees unloading a ireg trailer because the company doesn't want to pay a heating bill. Go home and turn the heat off in your house see how your family likes it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Move faster! Yea, there is nothing like getting paid 14 dollars a hour and break your back in 21 degrees unloading a ireg trailer because the company doesn't want to pay a heating bill. Go home and turn the heat off in your house see how your family likes it.
And pay them $14 an hour too.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm sure that it's quite uncomfortable... but there IS a heater, is there not? The master agreement states every truck must have a functioning heater.
The can blow out l the hot air it wants. Makes no difference when there's more cold air coming into the package car.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
We must all do our part to insure that Dear Leader gets his well deserved bonus especially after such a successful well run peak. Think of that when it so cold inside that you can see your breath or drive a package car with a "heater" that just makes noise.