Heat Protections for UPS Employees in Washington State only. (On topic only please)

Box Ox

This is on-topic since these have been the average monthly temperatures in Seattle. Don't see a whole lot to be concerned about when it comes to heat there.

SW.png

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is on-topic since these have been the average monthly temperatures in Seattle. Don't see a whole lot to be concerned about when it comes to heat there.

View attachment 395793
Averages are not relevant when addressing heat related illness/injuries. What is relevant is the days of high heat.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Box Ox

Averages are not relevant when addressing heat related illness/injuries. What is relevant is the days of high heat.

I’m in the south. I know what’s relevant when it comes to heat.

Mainly: typical temperatures. There will always be outliers everywhere but that’s not what drivers are typically dealing with and not what typically ends up taking them out.

Box Ox

"On July 16, 2021, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a rapid analysis of emergency department visits during late June's northwestern heat wave.

According to the report, the mean daily number of heat-related illness emergency department visits from June 25-30, 2021 in Region 10 was 69 times higher than that during the same days in 2019. The most affected groups were males and people age 75 and older."

Integrity

Binge Poster
I’m in the south. I know what’s relevant when it comes to heat.

Mainly: typical temperatures. There will always be outliers everywhere but that’s not what drivers are typically dealing with and not what typically ends up taking them out.
That is not the position of safety and health professionals.

Do you view this to be a serious issue?

Integrity

Binge Poster
"On July 16, 2021, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a rapid analysis of emergency department visits during late June's northwestern heat wave.

According to the report, the mean daily number of heat-related illness emergency department visits from June 25-30, 2021 in Region 10 was 69 times higher than that during the same days in 2019. The most affected groups were males and people age 75 and older."
So the heat was bad.

Box Ox

That is not the position of safety and health professionals.

Do you view this to be a serious issue?

Health and safety professionals are paid to be hammers looking for nails even when there are no nails around. Heat is in general not an issue for outdoor workers in Washington. Nor are unusual and short-term heat waves.

So the heat was bad.

Sure. Wouldn't your time be better spent making sure Washington's 75+ senior citizens have access to air conditioning in case another unusual and short-term heat wave arrives based on the actual statistics?

Trucker Clock

The following protections are in place by standard in the state of Washington.

Please read and comment on where UPS in Washington State is or is not adhering to these clearly spelled out responsibilities.

Please limit your replies to comments about the text of the document please.

Outdoor Heat Exposure 2022 Emergency Rules Summary

Your theory about the employer being responsible to make sure that each employee drinks enough water throughout the day is out the window in Washington....and every other State.

Chapter 296-62 WAC Safety Standards for General Occupational Health Standards

WAC 296-62-09530 Employer and employee responsibility.

(2) Employees are responsible for monitoring their own personal factors for heat-related illness including consumption of water or other acceptable beverages to ensure hydration.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your theory about the employer being responsible to make sure that each employee drinks enough water throughout the day is out the window in Washington....and every other State.
This is not and has not been my position.
Chapter 296-62 WAC Safety Standards for General Occupational Health Standards

WAC 296-62-09530 Employer and employee responsibility.

(2) Employees are responsible for monitoring their own personal factors for heat-related illness including consumption of water or other acceptable beverages to ensure hydration.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Health and safety professionals are paid to be hammers looking for nails even when there are no nails around. Heat is in general not an issue for outdoor workers in Washington. Nor are unusual and short-term heat waves.
I don’t see it this way.
Sure. Wouldn't your time be better spent making sure Washington's 75+ senior citizens have access to air conditioning in case another unusual and short-term heat wave arrives based on the actual statistics?
No I don’t think so.

I am more interested in workers safety at this point.

Frank888

Is there anything that we could say if the trailers are too hot to load or unload? They should not let you handle boxes until the truck has been there for a half hour to hour.

Trucker Clock

This is not and has not been my position.

Really.

You say it is the employers responsibility to make sure each employee has an adequate supply of water with them, ie, you say it is not the employees responsibility to make sure he/she /it has enough water with them.

And you then also go on to say that if an employee does drop from heat, it is the employers responsibility, not employees. Don't blame the employee for not staying hydrated, blame the employer.

Remember these?

I definitely wouldn’t take a “blame the worker attitude,

I do not support the “blame the worker” first culture that exists at UPS.

You seem to have a “blame the worker” first attitude.

Am I reading your attitude correctly?

Are you a “blame the worker” first, “company man” type person?

UPS “blame the worker” safety culture is disgraceful.

UPS “blame the worker” safety culture is disgraceful.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Really.

You say it is the employers responsibility to make sure each employee has an adequate supply of water with them, ie, you say it is not the employees responsibility to make sure he/she /it has enough water with them.
Yes. I did say this.
And you then also go on to say that if an employee does drop from heat, it is the employers responsibility, not employees.
I did say I don’t take a “blame the employee first” approach that is so common in UPS culture, that is true.
Don't blame the employee for not staying hydrated, blame the employer.
Never addressed the responsibility to remain hydrated directly, couldn’t get you past the obligation of UPS to provide an adequate supply of suitable drinking water.
Remember these?
Yes

Trucker Clock

Never addressed the responsibility to remain hydrated directly, couldn’t get you past the obligation of UPS to provide an adequate supply of suitable drinking water.

My point exactly.

Your statement about not blaming the employees first leads to the fact that if UPS did not supply enough free drinking water to the drivers, and you say they don't, then don't blame the drivers for dropping due to dehydration because they didn't drink enough water.

'nuff said.

Integrity

Binge Poster
My point exactly.
Not really following your point.
Your statement about not blaming the employees first leads to the fact that if UPS did not supply enough free drinking water to the drivers, and you say they don't, then don't blame the drivers for dropping due to dehydration because they didn't drink enough water.
It has been established by testimony of some here in the BC that in some UPS buildings UPS management takes their responsibility to pay for and supply suitable drinking water better than others.

They seem to be, not always perfect, but trying very hard to fulfill this responsibility.

I believe you have denied that it is UPS responsibility to pay for and provide an adequate supply of drinking water to package car drivers.

No?

If you would like to discuss a heat related illness/injury investigation report and how to find out about the circumstances surrounding a possible heat related emergency you might want to start a thread.

Maybe I will put one together.

'nuff said.
Sound good?

textat3

No matter the state, heat awareness Is the responsibility of the employee. Communicate with management before, during and after work. Use your cool solutions training at your discretion. Use common sense. Take lunch at the proper time. When in doubt, take a break and get some drinks/rest. Don’t hesitate when It comes to communication and hydration.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
No matter the state, heat awareness Is the responsibility of the employee. Communicate with management before, during and after work. Use your cool solutions training at your discretion. Use common sense. Take lunch at the proper time. When in doubt, take a break and get some drinks/rest. Don’t hesitate when It comes to communication and hydration.
Your crystal clear, succinct, logical & responsible opinion will be debated by the OP. He'll undoubtedly not understand something you've said although a 4 year old would completely get it. He can't take being wrong although he is 99.999% of the time.

takesteady

I'm not sure what your deal is, but your obsession with OSHA, Cool Solutions™ , and your general vitriol towards other users here leads me to believe you are either a management plant or dumb enough to buy the government/insurance mandated company line. Either way, you aren't a good faith actor and it isn't worth engaging with you