Heat Wave Hits Northeast.... "Let's cut some routes!"

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Today was one of the short days, but when I pulled in they were on me about not answering my phone or seeing the green message light on my diad (that whole silly thing about no distractions while driving, I guess).

I don't blame you. I stopped bringing my phone to work all together. When the company begins to pay 1/2 of my cellphone bill per month, I will start bringing it in again. And that green light BS? They ask me for an ETA at 2pm and they have their cute little Big Brother system that can tell at any time with no more than 15 minutes delay what I have left on my truck. If you wait until I'm on my way in to send a message, then shame on you.

I've refused when asked to help others twice already this week. They told us we could shorten our lunches if we wanted to in order to get done earlier and out of the heat. I've done it twice (I took 50 minutes instead of the full hour) and both times I've gotten messages asking for me to help someone (and in both instances it was a slacker) and both times I told them no.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I don't blame you. I stopped bringing my phone to work all together. When the company begins to pay 1/2 of my cellphone bill per month, I will start bringing it in again. And that green light BS? They ask me for an ETA at 2pm and they have their cute little Big Brother system that can tell at any time with no more than 15 minutes delay what I have left on my truck. If you wait until I'm on my way in to send a message, then shame on you.

I've refused when asked to help others twice already this week. They told us we could shorten our lunches if we wanted to in order to get done earlier and out of the heat. I've done it twice (I took 50 minutes instead of the full hour) and both times I've gotten messages asking for me to help someone (and in both instances it was a slacker) and both times I told them no.
1/2?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What they need to do with the DIAD is this; they need to have different categories of messages that will cause the green light to blink at different intervals. If the light is on then its just an "all page" message for everyone that you can respond to at your next stop. If the light is blinking, the message is specifically for you and you need to make sure to respond to it before returing to building. If the light is blinking fast, the message is urgent and you need to get off the highway and pull over immediately to respond to it.

I cant count how many times I have been on my way in at night and the light goes on, so I go to the trouble of finding an exit and pulling over only to discover the message isnt even for me.

probellringer

over....i hope you banged in....found out my route was cut---so i banged....i'm done going out and collecting back my work from other drivers....not going to help them fudge #'s as to amount of routes sent out...so for now-----i'm off on fridays till further notice

over9five

Staff member
I cant count how many times I have been on my way in at night and the light goes on, so I go to the trouble of finding an exit and pulling over only to discover the message isnt even for me.
Why on earth would you go an inch out of your way because some damn little light was on? Of course, if you like OT I can respect that.

over....i hope you banged in....
Nope, I'm all talk. I like getting paid my unused sick days too much.

The heat wave should be just about over. The first wave of thunderstorms came through here around noon and Round Two is building in the western sky.
Hopefully a better week coming up.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Why on earth would you go an inch out of your way because some damn little light was on? Of course, if you like OT I can respect that.

Nope, I'm all talk. I like getting paid my unused sick days too much.

Hopefully a better week coming up.

Hopefully a better week coming up.[/QUOTE]
Yup On vacation, the best part of UPS.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hot_out.JPG

browniehound

I think its funny when i see people in parts of the country that are not used to the extreme heat complain about it,cause down here in south east texas its always a heat wave from may till september.

I hear ya and I'm not complaining. Give me the heat 365 days a year. Its the same people who complain when it 10 below or snowing. "Its so hot out there" I hear all the time. My response will be: "Well it is July you know? "

Overpaid Union Thug

If I went down there in the middle of summer I would freaking die.

I dont mind the constant , cloudy, rainy gloom of the Pacific Northwest. I dont mind the snow or freezing cold of winter. But I cant stand the heat. Last year we had a record breaking heatwave in early August where it got up to 107 for three or four days in a row and I was getting physically ill with cramps and nausea. There is only so much water a person can physically force themselves to drink, and I just couldnt keep hydrated.

Fortunately, I have a new high-efficiency central AC system in my house. I like it. A lot. During the summer I keep that bad boy pegged. When I get home after a hot day in the truck, I want to see my breath fogging up in the air. I want to have to piss thru 2 inches of ice floating in my toilet. I want to be scraping the frost off of the mirror in the bathroom before I use it. I like it COLD!!

I'm "used to" the heat here in the southeast but one time I had to return to the center and be taken to the emergency room because of nausea and cramps and was given several IVs. The doctor said I had actually drank too much water and not enough Gatorade. Said eating a good breakfast and lunch is important too.

cino321

What they need to do with the DIAD is this; they need to have different categories of messages that will cause the green light to blink at different intervals. If the light is on then its just an "all page" message for everyone that you can respond to at your next stop. If the light is blinking, the message is specifically for you and you need to make sure to respond to it before returing to building. If the light is blinking fast, the message is urgent and you need to get off the highway and pull over immediately to respond to it.

On the way out to the route and back to the building my diad stays in the back of the truck behind the bulkhead door. No distractions that way.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
On the way out to the route and back to the building my diad stays in the back of the truck behind the bulkhead door. No distractions that way.

We cant do that because we are on Telematics and if the board isnt in the holder when the vehicle is moving it will generate a report and someone will whine and cry about it.

pretzel_man

We cant do that because we are on Telematics and if the board isnt in the holder when the vehicle is moving it will generate a report and someone will whine and cry about it.

The whining and crying part is true.

The report being generated if the DIAD is not in the holder is not. Telematics has no idea if the DIAD is in the holder or not.

P-Man

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I always keep my diad with me, I dont want it to over heat, or freeze. It is my friend. It actually quit on me a few times friday, I think it was hot. People actually didnt want to hold it to sign, it was so hot.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I always keep my diad with me, I dont want it to over heat, or freeze. It is my friend. It actually quit on me a few times friday, I think it was hot. People actually didnt want to hold it to sign, it was so hot.

I keep my diad with me if I am on the clock. If I'm not, it stays in the truck.

browniehound

I'm "used to" the heat here in the southeast but one time I had to return to the center and be taken to the emergency room because of nausea and cramps and was given several IVs. The doctor said I had actually drank too much water and not enough Gatorade. Said eating a good breakfast and lunch is important too.

Its my perception or understanding that your body can't get physically "used to the heat" Its my understanding that if you are born in the arctic a physiological change happens to their bodies that cannot be duplictaed in another scenario. Its why eskimos sleep naked in their igloos.

After a few days of age you can't get "used" to the cold. A physiological "stamp" if you will or change happens so they are "adapted" to the cold. Obviously they would freeze do death under extreme conditions, but anything above freezing is balmy to them!

You may be able to tolerate it, but I bet you would never sleep naked (with animal skin blankets off course) inside an igloo.

I live in New England and have experienced 10F and wind chills of 25F below too many days. I hate it. I hate the snow. I hate knowing that when the sunsets in January its going to be really cold! Yes I am a wuss. I hate frozen toes and finger tips.

I just want to say I love the heat and humidity at work. I love sweating at work and I love to go for a run after. I love drinking lots of water and not needing to pee. I feel like I'm cleansing my body. I like losing weight because its difficult to eat anything but fruits and veggies.

Its been a great summer here in MA with temperatures close to or above 90 everyday. I can understand how many drivers are uncomfortable in the heat and I respect that, but give it to me everyday baby!

Snow, cold and winters are for the birds!!!!!