heavy volume!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Luck had nothing to do with it. I was qualified for the job and my status as a veteran put me ahead of the other applicants. As brown monster said I was hired under the 3:1 along with two others. Two of us gained our seniority; unfortunately the other died in an airplane crash. The other drove for 18 years before leaving UPS to go to NYSEG. 23 years in and I have more than repaid any gift that you feel I was given. I don't apologize for anything.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was hired on a 6 to 1. But I was pt sup. I had to drive to a center, 76 miles each way. I also paid my dues, for being "lucky" enough to go full time. I have 28 yrs at 54 and my pension will never match a ftimers. Ill still leave ASAP, money aint everything. I can make up the difference sitting at my pc.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Luck had nothing to do with it. I was qualified for the job and my status as a veteran put me ahead of the other applicants. As brown monster said I was hired under the 3:1 along with two others. Two of us gained our seniority; unfortunately the other died in an airplane crash. The other drove for 18 years before leaving UPS to go to NYSEG. 23 years in and I have more than repaid any gift that you feel I was given. I don't apologize for anything.
Others on here have served their country and still did it the hard way. That's not a justification for having had it easier than others. Own the fact that we are right. Who asked you to apologize? Own it.

I thought you walked away?

U

uber

lol, what qualifications did the military give you? I know guys who served in the military who bitch and moan about unloading trucks for 4 hours a night.

And again, I could care less that you were an off the street hire. Congrats. But, don't act like you know whats its like to be long-time PT'er and think we are just whiners who feel we should be handed the keys right off the bat.

Your pretty pompous so I'm sure that flew right over your head.

lol, what qualifications did the military give you? I know guys who served in the military who bitch and moan about unloading trucks for 4 hours a night.

And again, I could care less that you were an off the street hire. Congrats. But, don't act like you know whats its like to be long-time PT'er and think we are just whiners who feel we should be handed the keys right off the bat.

Your pretty pompous so I'm sure that flew right over your head.
Pretty pompous is an understatement nancy is a prissy princess.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Others on here have served their country and still did it the hard way. That's not a justification for having had it easier than others. Own the fact that we are right. Who asked you to apologize? Own it. I thought you walked away?

I brought up my veteran status as the DM at the time was a vet and he told me personally that it was my veteran status that put me ahead of the other applicants. I was hired under the provisions of a contract put in place long before you were an employee. I had the same 30 day qualification period as any other new hire. I spent the next 11 months busting my ass trying to get my seniority, often showing up the older drivers to the point where they pulled me aside to tell me to slow down as I was making them "look bad". 23 years later I have more than repaid the faith that a certain DM had in me when he took a chance on me.

Was I lucky? I think people make their own luck but, yes, I have been fortunate. I was fortunate to get hired during a period of growth. I was fortunate that my first center manager and on-car properly trained me. I was fortunate that the work ethic instilled in me by my parents paid off. I am very fortunate that I will retire in 7 years with a company leading pension and a fully-funded 401k and will relocate to be closer to my daughter and her (hopefully) growing family.

I feel most fortunate that I don't feel the need to justify myself to you or any of your buddies, let alone apologize.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I brought up my veteran status as the DM at the time was a vet and he told me personally that it was my veteran status that put me ahead of the other applicants. I was hired under the provisions of a contract put in place long before you were an employee. I had the same 30 day qualification period as any other new hire. I spent the next 11 months busting my ass trying to get my seniority, often showing up the older drivers to the point where they pulled me aside to tell me to slow down as I was making them "look bad". 23 years later I have more than repaid the faith that a certain DM had in me when he took a chance on me.

Was I lucky? I think people make their own luck but, yes, I have been fortunate. I was fortunate to get hired during a period of growth. I was fortunate that my first center manager and on-car properly trained me. I was fortunate that the work ethic instilled in me by my parents paid off. I am very fortunate that I will retire in 7 years with a company leading pension and a fully-funded 401k and will relocate to be closer to my daughter and her (hopefully) growing family.

I don't like the term lucky either in relation to my employment, but for the reason that 8 years of perseverance in the part time ranks made me more deserving of the opportunity than lucky.
You on the other, caught a break initially, then made the best of it in your sorted mind.

U

uber

Damn, I knew I should have went into the military if I wanted to get a package car job sooner. Why didn't anyone notify me of this.

Gosh, I guess I'm just a product of the entitlement generation...D'oh!

menotyou

bella amicizia

I feel most fortunate that I don't feel the need to justify myself to you or any of your buddies, let alone apologize.
You just did. And, if you want to call if fortunate, then fine. As you will notice Dave, I was very nice in how I phrased it originally. You wanting to get an attitude over a comment that you should have just accepted at face value is what, usually, lead us down this path. I simply stated that in the scheme of things, you did catch a lucky break. But, you can't just leave it at that.

You haven't changed.

anonymous4

Upstate has been handed well in this thread as before I read his response I knew military duty would be brought up on his part. Everything has already been said but all I can add, and the only thing that REALLY gets on my nerves about this guy is his view on what's next. Two tier wages, lower top outs, longer progressions coming from a guy that just stumbled into this job. Sorry, "made his own luck". It really is a big joke as he claims it "isn't what he wants" but I can gurantee he will vote for all of it, if it should come up. If it isn't what you want buddy, you don't do it. You're a sicko with a twisted mentality. You believe in your sick head 10 years part time inside is not enough to earn myself the income you now enjoy. Not just that, but you also think it should take not just 3 years to reach a lower top out rate than you now enjoy, but longer. Oh that's right, you don't believe any of that, you just think it will help save this great company! I didn't know we were in need of being saved. After retirement you should start a political career.

Almost no one is just "stumbling" into this kind of job anymore, and that's closer to how it should be. 10 years ruining my body to wait another 3 for $30/hour is quite enough for me. It's a long enough journey the way it is right now. You live in a false reality and if it wasn't because you just stumbled into this job, what could it be?

Upstate has been handed well in this thread as before I read his response I knew military duty would be brought up on his part. Everything has already been said but all I can add, and the only thing that REALLY gets on my nerves about this guy is his view on what's next. Two tier wages, lower top outs, longer progressions coming from a guy that just stumbled into this job. Sorry, "made his own luck". It really is a big joke as he claims it "isn't what he wants" but I can gurantee he will vote for all of it, if it should come up. If it isn't what you want buddy, you don't do it. You're a sicko with a twisted mentality. You believe in your sick head 10 years part time inside is not enough to earn myself the income you now enjoy. Not just that, but you also think it should take not just 3 years to reach a lower top out rate than you now enjoy, but longer. Oh that's right, you don't believe any of that, you just think it will help save this great company! I didn't know we were in need of being saved. After retirement you should start a political career.

Almost no one is just "stumbling" into this kind of job anymore, and that's closer to how it should be. 10 years ruining my body to wait another 3 for $30/hour is quite enough for me. It's a long enough journey the way it is right now. You live in a false reality and if it wasn't because you just stumbled into this job, what could it be?
+100 this post is right on

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Should a guy making 20 plus an hour with a pension and free health insurance for working 3 1/2 hours a day apologize to anyone?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I wouldn't ask them or anyone else to apologize. But, I would expect the guy making $22 an hour scanning, oh I don't know where, to be aware of the fact he could be loading and have it much worse. Again, perspective.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I brought up my veteran status as the DM at the time was a vet and he told me personally that it was my veteran status that put me ahead of the other applicants. I was hired under the provisions of a contract put in place long before you were an employee. I had the same 30 day qualification period as any other new hire. I spent the next 11 months busting my ass trying to get my seniority, often showing up the older drivers to the point where they pulled me aside to tell me to slow down as I was making them "look bad". 23 yearster I have more than repaid the faith that a certain DM had in me when he took a chance on me.

I doubt ups gives veterans a chance just out of the goodness of their hearts but more likely for the tax benefit or trying to cover their ass from getting sued.....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I was hired on a 6 to 1. But I was pt sup. I had to drive to a center, 76 miles each way. I also paid my dues, for being "lucky" enough to go full time. I have 28 yrs at 54 and my pension will never match a ftimers. Ill still leave ASAP, money aint everything. I can make up the difference sitting at my pc.

Tooner, how many years were you a sup and how long have you been driving for? Does your sup years count for anything toward the pension?

Griff

Yeah, he's a fool and most non-comatose users on this forum know it. If he had his way, UPS would immediately fire all UPS drivers (including himself) and replace them with illegal mexicans for $3/hr under the table. UPS should also seize all pensions and 401k contributions made by teamsters and give it all directly to the shareholders in the form of an earth shaking dividend increase. All stewards and union officials would be arrested and indited on blackmail, extortion and racketeering charges.

Upstate is the guy that goes out drinking with management after hours, probably how he got to be such a brainwashed zombie. He's the guy that works off the clock in the morning. He is also that guy that punches out by 9.5, even if hes out on area with 30 stops left. In short, Upstate is the guy that is harming this union with his weak mind and soft membership.