Hello Brown Cafe!

BrownThunder

Just sliding through to introduce myself. I'm a new hire who begins on the 23rd. Starting off as a loader/unloader with the goal of eventually becoming a driver.

I will be working this part time job right after my regular 9-5 is finished. I feel fortunate that my big boss at the hub is really cool and down to earth. During the tour you could see he captured the respect and admiration of the other employees. That, along with his no BS (hasn't shown the video in the last 15 yrs) explanation about the job really helped me decide on whether this was a good decision.

The drivers I interact with on a daily basis during my 9-5 tell me now is a great time to get in the building. My boss told me there will be days when i want to quit, but if I hang in there it will absolutely pay off in the long run.

So, here I am. Sacrificing nights with my wife and baby girl to build a better and brighter future for them.

I hope to one day become a contributor to the many interesting conversations going on in here. Thanks goes to the many of you who have already answered my questions.

Bren_dan

This is kind of a weird time of year to get hired. My guess is you won't be missing out on too much family time the first few months. Unless your hub is short staffed.

That said, welcome to the handling half of shipping & handling. Good luck to you.

BrownThunder

Thanks! One of the drivers told me the "driver list" goes out next month. I'll be brand new by then, so I don't think I'll even have an opportunity to sign up at that point (correct me if I'm wrong). It is only after I make book, or get seniority that I can sign up for anything.

I'm sure I can find this answer if I search, but if you're reading this and feel like answering... let me know something... how often do these driver lists get shown? Right now I am thinking because it'll be shown in March, I'll have to grind it out for a year and wait until March 2016.

PT Car Washer

This is kind of a weird time of year to get hired. My guess is you won't be missing out on too much family time the first few months. Unless your hub is short staffed.

That said, welcome to the handling half of shipping & handling. Good luck to you.
I know my hub has been hiring people since the new year started. Brown Thunder may be thinking of the driver intent sheet. Go ahead and sign it. Not a bid sheet and no guarantees there is even a job opening anytime soon.

BrownThunder

Oh cool, so I can sign that intent sheet right away then that's great.

Cannot wait to get started with this company! I would only be considered for hire when I've signed the bid sheet, correct? And I would have to make book before I was allowed to sign that bid sheet right?

I wonder if they consider everyone who's name is on that bid sheet. My boss over there said last year there were over 70 people who put their name on the bid list. He ended up with 8 people to fill 20 something driver spots when it was all said and done.

I guess all the trucks there are manual, which is great since I exclusively drive manual unless I'm in my work truck making deliveries at my 9-5

Anyways I'm rambling, thanks for your response.

BrownThunder

Do I need to make book before I can sign this bid sheet?

I'm reading there is an intent list and a bid list. They are supposedly different lists.,

Can I sign the bid list on the very first day at work?

NY Grind75

????????
Just get ready for an adventure everyday when you become a driver, because being a cover driver at the bottom of the seniority list is a nightmare in most centers. .....just get ready because this job is not a walk in the park

BrownThunder

Can't wait. I start tonight at 6:30, really excited about finally starting. As far as driving goes, I really enjoy driving my work truck and going on deliveries so aside from the GPS locator and micro management I already like the job description.

BrownThunder

I will happily deal with any "nightmare" ups gives me to one day make what drivers make. My wife and I are about to close on a house in April, so I am chasing a dream to get my family in an even better financial situation. My center manager told me one day I could be making around 2 grand a week. It will take an act of God to prevent me from becoming a driver

BrownThunder

My 9-5 is far more complicated. We are "encouraged" aka bitched at to do the impossible on a daily basis. At the end of the day, we're talking about moving boxes around.

BrownThunder

Wanna re-word that question?

I don't understand what you're asking me.

Any more advice?? - as in, do I have any more advice or do I need any more?

If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. For one, aside from my center manager and browncafe, I'm going to keep my business to myself. I'm just there to do the best job I can and leave. No point in running around telling my co-workers about my dreams. I've learned from my 9-5 that only creates a funky attitude and low key hate from associates.

I'm gonna be a humble team player and just do whatever I'm told to the best of my ability.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Wanna re-word that question?

I don't understand what you're asking me.

Any more advice?? - as in, do I have any more advice or do I need any more?

If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. For one, aside from my center manager and browncafe, I'm going to keep my business to myself. I'm just there to do the best job I can and leave. No point in running around telling my co-workers about my dreams. I've learned from my 9-5 that only creates a funky attitude and low key hate from associates.

I'm gonna be a humble team player and just do whatever I'm told to the best of my ability.
Other than your center manager? You want advice....show up, keep your mouth shut and work. You don't volunteer info to your center manager.

BrownThunder

Well.... he was the one who interviewed me for the gig so he wanted to know why I decided to work here considering I am already employed.

Roger that though, I plan on keeping my mouth shut and busting my a-- for however long it takes.