Hello. Unbelievable Hiring Process.

hello all,
recently had an interview for a casual driver...was hired beginning of June.and not sure why they hired me. but I need work so I am running with it. basically they did background check, mvr. and went and did driver test and DOT exam . passed all. so hired....unbelievable that I never asked a question (I guess its just my dashing good looks and UPS human resources insight)..:) that they just know im the guy for the Job....lol on road sup says he just needs drivers..so after all that I ask first question of if they think they could tell me hours maybe? ( they did tell me starting Pay however is 18.75 as casual driver.) I do like that...so I asked center manager about full time. he says "it'll be a while" I wasn't surprised. so still rolling with it. anyway. I sat for several days and did all the safety vids. and pre req computer work that apparently needs done before I go to 1 week school. human resources said I would be paid for that. however I came in sat down did training and left...no one ever discussed the actual hours it took.? so from what I see on these boards. I figure im screwd there. not to worry I still roll with it.....
so here is my questions. since school is a month and a half away and they already ordered all my clothes, I feel like yeah ok. I will stick with this crazy hiring process...PROCESS i say lightly.
anyway...so i have been interviewing elsewhere and have been offered (actually given information pertaining to their offer) i believe i will accept there (other guys) offer....is it possible that if i do the schooling and take UPS Casual job . that i can work when they call me if its suits my other job schedule. sorry if im typing a lot but at this point im actually experimenting how far ican go with UPS before i meet someone who actually KNOWS what is going on.? can i work full time elsewhere and say get calls from the center saying hey come in and drive? and me say cant help ya today i have to go to my real job.....Honestly im not being any way disrespectful....i like the idea of a good paying driver job. im just not sure if its a Carrot on a stick. or if everyone in this hiring process really is this clueless....and on that note. does everybody that works here go thru the same process of accepting a job that nobody in management knows what it is.....?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
All that typing...and you're not even a driver yet..wow. Tomorrow, I will tell my boss that sorry I can't work today because I have to go to my real job...I'll let u know how that works out...lol

hello all,
recently had an interview for a casual driver...was hired beginning of June.and not sure why they hired me. but I need work so I am running with it. basically they did background check, mvr. and went and did driver test and DOT exam . passed all. so hired....unbelievable that I never asked a question (I guess its just my dashing good looks and UPS human resources insight)..:) that they just know im the guy for the Job....lol on road sup says he just needs drivers..so after all that I ask first question of if they think they could tell me hours maybe? ( they did tell me starting Pay however is 18.75 as casual driver.) I do like that...so I asked center manager about full time. he says "it'll be a while" I wasn't surprised. so still rolling with it. anyway. I sat for several days and did all the safety vids. and pre req computer work that apparently needs done before I go to 1 week school. human resources said I would be paid for that. however I came in sat down did training and left...no one ever discussed the actual hours it took.? so from what I see on these boards. I figure im screwd there. not to worry I still roll with it.....
so here is my questions. since school is a month and a half away and they already ordered all my clothes, I feel like yeah ok. I will stick with this crazy hiring process...PROCESS i say lightly.
anyway...so i have been interviewing elsewhere and have been offered (actually given information pertaining to their offer) i believe i will accept there (other guys) offer....is it possible that if i do the schooling and take UPS Casual job . that i can work when they call me if its suits my other job schedule. sorry if im typing a lot but at this point im actually experimenting how far ican go with UPS before i meet someone who actually KNOWS what is going on.? can i work full time elsewhere and say get calls from the center saying hey come in and drive? and me say cant help ya today i have to go to my real job.....Honestly im not being any way disrespectful....i like the idea of a good paying driver job. im just not sure if its a Carrot on a stick. or if everyone in this hiring process really is this clueless....and on that note. does everybody that works here go thru the same process of accepting a job that nobody in management knows what it is.....?
I wanted to read your whole post,but my battery died!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You can experiment all you want, but you will quickly learn that you won't even make UPS blink at your demands.

IOW, don't let the door hit ya'............

Last edited:
I would think maybe a hiring packet or maybe an actual interview would be in order first. Nope just test him. and send him to school in 2 months. Keep in mind this was the second time i was in the building and when i was done with computer work...I just came home cause nobody else was there. interesting philosophy for hiring talent. don't say nothing , don't ask nothing. think i got this gig down...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What demands Cosmo..? "can you explain my new Job" :)

Your "demands" seem to be UPS honoring the fact you have another job and working around that.

If you are hired as a casual, you damned well better be prepared to show up when you are called, or that will be the last call.

Don't let the door hit ya'............

Last edited:
Just thinking maybe a job description that mentioned that. wouldn't be to much effort from company. maybe give some parameters of hours expected to work on what schedule for how long under what terms...you know human resources hiring procedures most fortune 500 companies utilize in order to keep a interview process transparent so nobody has time wasted and resources wasted for no reason.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Just thinking maybe a job description that mentioned that. wouldn't be to much effort from company. maybe give some parameters of hours expected to work on what schedule for how long under what terms...you know human resources hiring procedures most fortune 500 companies utilize in order to keep a interview process transparent so nobody has time wasted and resources wasted for no reason.
Job description....b**ch in a brown uniform. = you

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Sure. But applying as a casual is pretty close to the lowest of the low (sorry, Dave).

Good luck.