Help filing for short term disability

Cyclops

Since I got denied my WC claim, I have to file for std. I've got all the forms I need. With the actual teamcare std form, the doctor who is treating me is required to sign off on it. However, they said I may have to wait for 10 business days for the form to be returned to me. Then once it is returned and I submit the form, I have to wait the following week to get a check. WTH? I have no income right now.
Also, I've heard you have to withdraw from the union to go on std. Is that true and why would you have to do that?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, you do not have to withdraw from the Union to file for and collect STD; however, if you are going to be out of work for at least 30 days it would be a good idea to do so. Just remember to call the local when you go back to work.

Yes, you have to wait at least 10 business days and, yes, there is a delay before you receive your first check. If you are hurting for money you may want to take a cash advance off of a credit card or perhaps ask a family member or close family friend for a short term loan.

You can continue to fight the WC denial while on STD. If the denial is overturned your comp payments MAY be reduced by the amount that you received while on STD.

barnyard

KTM rider
You should call your union hall and ask them what you should do.

In my state, once a doctor determines that it is work related, you will not be able to get coverage through your personal insurance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my state, once a doctor determines that it is work related, you will not be able to get coverage through your personal insurance.

....for that particular injury only....if another non-related medical issue were to occur while you are out on comp your regular insurance should cover it...

Notretiredyet

You can file for STD and still pursue your WC claim in this area, if you appeal and win the WC claim you can pay back the STD benefits you received. Unfortunately it won't get you money any sooner, it usually takes a least a few weeks to receive the first check from either one. I would contact your local asap and talk with someone there regarding this issue. Just another reason to buy some type of STD policy to cover your expenses if you are unable to sock the money away for times like this.

Cyclops

No, you do not have to withdraw from the Union to file for and collect STD; however, if you are going to be out of work for at least 30 days it would be a good idea to do so. Just remember to call the local when you go back to work.

Yes, you have to wait at least 10 business days and, yes, there is a delay before you receive your first check. If you are hurting for money you may want to take a cash advance off of a credit card or perhaps ask a family member or close family friend for a short term loan.

You can continue to fight the WC denial while on STD. If the denial is overturned your comp payments MAY be reduced by the amount that you received while on STD.
Thanks for the info. Isn't there a deadline to submit the disability paperwork from the date you are out of work? That's why I was not happy about the having to wait for the doctor to sign off on the paper work.

Cyclops

Are you saying that my insurance won't cover my surgery because I hurt it at work even though my workers comp claim got denied? So if WC won't cover it and my insurance won't cover it, how am I supposed to get the surgery? I can't go back to work until I get the surgery.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Are you saying that my insurance won't cover my surgery because I hurt it at work even though my workers comp claim got denied? So if WC won't cover it and my insurance won't cover it, how am I supposed to get the surgery? I can't go back to work until I get the surgery.

Call your local union hall

Your not the first to go threw this

barnyard

KTM rider
Are you saying that my insurance won't cover my surgery because I hurt it at work even though my workers comp claim got denied?

I am saying it is past time for you to call your union hall. Asking here for info on your case is going to get you nowhere. Every state has different WC laws, which is why I started my sentence, "IN MY STATE."

Johney

Why would Teamcare want to pay for an injury they shouldn't have to cover?

Cyclops

Why would Teamcare want to pay for an injury they shouldn't have to cover?
According to the person from Teamcare whom spoke with, they will pay for my STD and medical expenses since the WC claim was denied. Then if I challenge the denial and win, Liberty Mutual will have to pay for any treatment Teamcare paid for. Any WC settlement I would get would go to reimburse Teamcare for for STD payments. There would be a difference and I would keep what is left over.