Help me stop running

BrownThunder

Hello BC world!

I'm a full time driver (6 months), learning the ropes and mastering as many routes I can.

So far I'm up to 7 routes and the management team says I'm doing one hell of a job.

I have a problem with trying to blast through a route as quickly as I can. I don't literally sprint, but I don't take breaks until all of my deliveries are off.

Whenever that notice pops up saying I qualify for a break, I never take one. I'm offended it even popped up because I still have so much work to do.

I just need some feedback from veterans who can talk about their evolution from runners to reasonably paced drivers.

I'm getting tired of busting my ass and being sent back out to help someone who (in my eyes) didn't leave the hub with the same sense of urgency as I did.

That above statement is probably false, but speaks to the problem I'm having.

I have decided to take long as he'll when they send me back out, but during the day I am still working with a feverish sense of urgency like I'm still in my 30 day probation.

Some things I want to start doing:
-take all breaks, at the appropriate time
-drop air at the meet spot (I always take my own in)

Anything else?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
You can either slow down because you want to, or slow down because you have to. UPS doesn't care about your knees and hips. Put yourself first because this company won't care if you drop dead.

rod

Retired 22 years
Everyone runs in the beginning. You will slow down to a safe speed after they have crapped on you enough. It usually don't take long for them to turn a runner-gunner employee into one who don't care anymore. They are experts at taking the "give a damn" out of a person.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Keep Running!!!! No seriously, your sense of urgency is a necessary component to assure that you complete your route everyday. That being said, in order to make this job a career you must come to realize that this is not a sprint but a marathon. Adopt a nice pace that you can easily maintain and still keep the boss happy. By running you have become your own worst enemy, and that resentment in your co-workers will only get worse as time goes on.
Take your breaks, and by all means take your lunch. Other drivers may occasionally need help and at some point so will you. But if you are not in the helping position everyday the resentment will ease and you will develop a greater respect for those around you as they may be called in to assist you.
Best of luck to you and KEEP, I mean stop running.

BrownThunder

I'm feeling the give a damn spirit exiting quickly.

I think my motivation for going so quickly is I remember what it was like to die on a route. I don't want to feel that again, so I figure what I lack in area knowledge I can make up with hustle.

It's that sense of urgency that has helped me not die on any route I've been on since week 2 on my own.

Maybe I should hustle until I know a route well enough. When I understand the general flow of a route, I know where I need to be at what time, and when I'm running late or early overall in my run.

union4life

You have put your finger long your problem. You are a seniority driver. Focus on proper methods and take time to develop proper habits. Work safe and smart. There is no need to worry about "dying on a route". You get paid by the hour to be a professional. Hone your skills and set the example for junior drivers. Everyone will benefit from your choice to do your job to the letter.

Hope you have a great career.

ManInBrown

From your post you can't be helped. BOL when you get into an accident or get hurt. They will treat you like a piece of garbage who never did anything for them.

Oh yeah one more thing....When you're finished come meet me and take 15 stops. Thanks Runner Gunner

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm feeling the give a damn spirit exiting quickly.

It will if you keep up that pace and have to always go help. Helping once in a long while is fine but all the time gets old. I have always hated this company for that reason. You do all your own work only to have to go out and do someone else's work. Drives me nuts but that's what the 9.5 list is for.

I'm getting tired of busting my ass and being sent back out to help someone who (in my eyes) didn't leave the hub with the same sense of urgency as I did.

That right there is one of the best reasons to take your breaks / lunches, work safe and by the methods, and at a pace that is steady. The sense of urgency is fine but stop assuming people don't have the same sense of urgency as you have. Everyone is different in that aspect and you will just be getting annoyed over something you have no control over. Stop rushing, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. I feel your pain, we all have. You want to get your work done and get home at a decent time and not be out 14hrs.

It will all come together just don't rush it. You will be fine, we have all been there.

undies

Take your morning break, no matter what. Take your lunch in the afternoon, no matter what. Take your afternoon break, no matter what. If you fall behind on business or pick ups, it means you had too much work to begin with. Stay consistent above all else and maybe you can retire without a wheelchair.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hello BC world!

I'm a full time driver (6 months), learning the ropes and mastering as many routes I can.

So far I'm up to 7 routes and the management team says I'm doing one hell of a job.

I have a problem with trying to blast through a route as quickly as I can. I don't literally sprint, but I don't take breaks until all of my deliveries are off.

Whenever that notice pops up saying I qualify for a break, I never take one. I'm offended it even popped up because I still have so much work to do.

I just need some feedback from veterans who can talk about their evolution from runners to reasonably paced drivers.

That above statement is probably false, but speaks to the problem I'm having.

I have decided to take long as he'll when they send me back out, but during the day I am still working with a feverish sense of urgency like I'm still in my 30 day probation.

Some things I want to start doing:
-take all breaks, at the appropriate time
-drop air at the meet spot (I always take my own in)

Anything else?

Pick one day and before you leave your house in the morning tell yourself you will be out late. Plan in your mind that you will not get done until 8:00 or 9:00 that night. As your day goes on talk to the customers say hi, ask them how their day has been. Walk back to your truck. Take your break when they message,you its time to. Eat some food. Get on BC if you get bored. When you finish break remind yourself you will be out late. You will still get done at a decent time even though you keep telling yourself you won't and you will find without killing yourself to get done early that your day will be more enjoyable and you will feel better

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
More guys like you will give UPS record profits and help out during contract negotiations. Keep on keeping on, I gave up trying to convince people like you years ago. You'll either stop running when you really do get tired of it or when management turns on you because you didn't run 30 stops an hours instead of 35.

If you somehow last running and gunning for an extended amount of time, your body will convince you to stop, then you'll have another half of your career in pain telling younger guys not to do what you did to no avail.

Good Luck

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Take your breaks and lunch when the contract mandates. Follow all methods and get them down to second nature. You're hurting yourself by taking your lunch at end of day. Organize your route in your head and break it up into sections and decide when lunch will fit in like 1-2 or 2-3pm.

You will never walk out of here retired after 30 plus years without a major injury if you don't adopt this mentality