Help needed concerning treatment of disabled

TrimCarp

I could really use some guidance concerning bullying of an upser that has been diagnosed with cerebal palsy... My son and I both work at UPS, my son has been there slightly over 10 years. He is diagnosed with cerebal palsy, and receives some social security money because of his disability. My point in bringing up the social security is simply to say this isn't some made up thing,its real, very real. He has good days and bad days, and has multiple doctor visits monthly, which does cause him to miss work some days.UPS human resources has even drawn up a separate (for lack of a better word) "contract" with clauses such as, must work on floor level, as in no heights,no working in front of flashing lights, and things like that. We have 1full time supe at our hub who continually just bullying him constantly. He writes him up,suspends him, threatens to fire him,puts him up off floor working at heights which he's not supposed to be at, literally follows him around when pushing carts, and just flat bullys him. I should mention also he does the same thing too deaf guy that also works there. And fired a young autistic guy a year ago, who did get his job back but had to switch areas. The guy is a pattern bully of people with disabilities. He actually transferred to another local hub several months ago but transferred back this week the day after labor day and he's right back to his old BS. In the past the union has helped with recending suspensions and stuff but the constant bullying and harassment doesn't stop. We have had 3 part time supes tell us in the pre shift supervisor meetings hehas called my son a scam artist,he is not this is real. It literally affects my sons mental health. We are over it, the union prevents him from being let go but doesnothing to stop the continuing bullying. We don't wont to be "that" guy, but its to the point of getting in touch with the EEOC or a lawyer we are literally at wits end. Listen, i know its not an ideal situation for the company, there are things he cannot do. But there are laws protecting the disabled, and the company is always talking about how they accommodate for disabilities, even in the hazmat class we take yearly they talk about it in the video tapes we are made to watch. I should say its only the 1 full time supervisor most the other supes are more than accommodating. ANY thoughts, recommendations, or advice would be GREATLY appreciated...... sorry for such a long post, but its another to try to explain...thanks

takesteady

First of all, I am really sorry that your son is going through this. I’m sure he deals with enough BS just living his every day life. There is something about being a UPS supervisor that either attracts or turns people into utter cretins.

I would call the ethics hotline and tell them an employee is being harassed on the basis of his disability and name the sup doing it. I would also try to reach out to your BA if your stewards can’t fix the issue.
If none of these remediations work, then I would absolutely contact an employment attorney to see what your options are. Disabled people are a protected class who have certain rights under the law.

I would guess a call or a letter from an attorney would put a stop the issue real quick.

TrimCarp

Thank you, I appreciate your sincerity. I was worried about getting killed in comments. I don't really post much at all,but I do get on here alot to see whats current and it can be harsh at times.... very much appreciate your advice

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I could really use some guidance concerning bullying of an upser that has been diagnosed with cerebal palsy... My son and I both work at UPS, my son has been there slightly over 10 years. He is diagnosed with cerebal palsy, and receives some social security money because of his disability. My point in bringing up the social security is simply to say this isn't some made up thing,its real, very real. He has good days and bad days, and has multiple doctor visits monthly, which does cause him to miss work some days.UPS human resources has even drawn up a separate (for lack of a better word) "contract" with clauses such as, must work on floor level, as in no heights,no working in front of flashing lights, and things like that. We have 1full time supe at our hub who continually just bullying him constantly. He writes him up,suspends him, threatens to fire him,puts him up off floor working at heights which he's not supposed to be at, literally follows him around when pushing carts, and just flat bullys him. I should mention also he does the same thing too deaf guy that also works there. And fired a young autistic guy a year ago, who did get his job back but had to switch areas. The guy is a pattern bully of people with disabilities. He actually transferred to another local hub several months ago but transferred back this week the day after labor day and he's right back to his old BS. In the past the union has helped with recending suspensions and stuff but the constant bullying and harassment doesn't stop. We have had 3 part time supes tell us in the pre shift supervisor meetings hehas called my son a scam artist,he is not this is real. It literally affects my sons mental health. We are over it, the union prevents him from being let go but doesnothing to stop the continuing bullying. We don't wont to be "that" guy, but its to the point of getting in touch with the EEOC or a lawyer we are literally at wits end. Listen, i know its not an ideal situation for the company, there are things he cannot do. But there are laws protecting the disabled, and the company is always talking about how they accommodate for disabilities, even in the hazmat class we take yearly they talk about it in the video tapes we are made to watch. I should say its only the 1 full time supervisor most the other supes are more than accommodating. ANY thoughts, recommendations, or advice would be GREATLY appreciated...... sorry for such a long post, but its another to try to explain...thanks
My advice would be to get your doctor to sign off on the plan that UPS drew up for him. If he has restrictions but is able to work, then he must adhere to the restrictions even if they order him to do something outside of the restrictions. Get your BA involved and if things don’t improve I’d talk to a lawyer. Just because we have a contract between the Teamsters and UPS doesn’t mean you give up all other rights.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thank you, I appreciate your sincerity. I was worried about getting killed in comments. I don't really post much at all,but I do get on here alot to see whats current and it can be harsh at times.... very much appreciate your advice
Time to lawyer up
It’s the only thing some folks understand

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
ANY thoughts, recommendations, or advice would be GREATLY appreciated...... sorry for such a long post, but its another to try to explain...thanks

Has your son ever applied for an ADA accommodation ?

Has he filed a grievance or an EEOC complaint ?

Get your BA involved and if things don’t improve I’d talk to a lawyer.

Definitely talk with the Local Union BA.

Paying money to a lawyer isn't necessary at this point. (unless it's to help with his boat payment)

over9five

Staff member
I like the Ethics Hotline suggestion. (We still have one, right?). Don't do it anonymously, give your name, his name, the sups name. Make a stand.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Eeoc today..the crap will stop immediately..and some bully will be on the street when it is over..bypass all the other stuff..do this first..then do the rest..get it stopped so he can breathe. From my experience..thanks to many on this site..for the guidance.

TrimCarp

Ups hired him didnt they? They are happy im sure to claim the tax credits for hiring the disabled. They shouldn't have hired him if they don't want to follow ada guidelines. You sir are an :censored2: I hope you or someone you care about don't have to deal with a disability they were born with. Are you management? I'm guessing you are

Last edited: