help please!!

Box Ox

$10+/hr for a year with no insurance or paid sick/option/vacation days. Gets better if you can get over the first year hump.

browner89

$10.10 is the new minimum wage for a package handler I believe after the minimum federal wage was changed. Massive $.10 raise!

If you start out as a preloader or learn to sort/pick off you can bump that up an additional $1.

Speaking of the federal wage change, is first year seniority "skilled" pay considered a $1 pay raise or is it a flat bump to $11. I know a few in their first year still making $11 with the raise of the federal minimum wage, should it be $11.10 or simply a bump to $11? (sorry for the small hijacking but the OP was answered)

Lol...well anything more than 10 bucks an hour would great. I can survive off 10 for now with roommates and all but was just wondering if it was hard to move up in the company.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Lol...well anything more than 10 bucks an hour would great. I can survive off 10 for now with roommates and all but was just wondering if it was hard to move up in the company.

Keep in mind that package handlers typically work 3.5 hours. So thats $35 a day minus taxes. Plus when you havent made book, you arent guaranteed any hours, so they typically send you home day here and there.

browner89

You don't move up in a traditional sense. Simply put, there are 4 jobs:

Package Handler - The grunt, loads, unloads, sorts (Yearly minimal wage increases)

Package Car Driver - Home/business delivery and pickup (4 year progression starting at 18.75 and topping out around $34)

Feeder Driver - UPS' tractor trailer drivers (similar to PC I believe, not sure)

Management - nearly universally hated whip bearers, there are some good ones though (starts around 12-14/hr, no benefits, your boss hates you, your employees hate you, and you can be transferred or fired for many reasons, but if you don't want a career at UPS its the best fit on your resume for future jobs)

To get the driver jobs you basically need to "reapply" where you'll be put on a seniority based list against fellow employees and the high man on the pole gets the first kick at the job. You then go to school and either pass or fail and return to your package handler job until an opportunity comes up to train you on a route.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Can anyone tell me what the package handlers make per hour? I have a tour set up for today and was wondering if it was worth going to?
Starting pay for most package handlers is $10.10/hr, typically work 15-25 hours/week. Raises annually, some positions will pay $1/hr more.

If you are a student, some locations (or perhaps only certain shifts in those locations) offer some tuition reimbursement.

If you are looking for fringe benefits such as medical insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation; you wouldn't be eligible until 1 year of employment (most of the country).

Unless you are in a so-called "Right to work" state, you will become a member of the Teamsters Union after you pass the probationary employment period. An initiation fee and monthly dues (or a service or agency fee if you don't want to join). These vary around the country.

browner89

So they don't get a full time schedule? I'm def looking for 40 hours a week. That kind of blows!!

No, it's a "part-time package handler".

You're guaranteed 3.5hrs a day once you reach seniority. UPS runs several shifts called "sorts", most buildings run 2 or 3, some run 24 hours a day. You'll be applying to work on one of those sorts, some last longer than others. You won't be working more than one though.

UPS is a job you take if you want the benefits for short work days while you have another job, are in school, or you're sticking it out for a financially secure life which may take a few years to reach.

If you just want a 40hr/week dead end job there are plenty of machining/industrial jobs that start at 10-14/hr with little to no experience required.