Help! Should I quit my other job to be a casual package driver?

RMR46

Hi, all. I was recently hired without an interview as a casual package driver, so I wasn't informed of much before training started. And training was just three days on Zoom, during which I couldn't even ask questions because we had to stay on mute so as not to slow the schedule down. I applied and accepted the job thinking driving would be my second job, but then I learned about DOT Hours of Service regulations, which means I cannot work both jobs at once; I have to choose between them.

Off the cuff, UPS is the obvious better choice. It pays $5 an hour more and I assume is 40 hours of work a week, whereas my other job is only 32.

But is it only seasonal?? My online application says "casual package driver", which people here say means "on call as needed". My Zoom trainers said we were being hired seasonally, but my HR rep said there were two permanent positions open in my city that they'd be filling with seasonal drivers. And when I got my DOT physical, the examiner scoffed at the idea that I'd only be working seasonally because "they're hurting for drivers", she said. So now I don't know what to expect.

I would quit my other job and stick with UPS, but if it's only seasonal or on call, that could put me in a worse financial position than I'm in now!

Plus I'm nervous about getting hired permanently because I'm worried whether a series of minor slips might sour the road supervisor toward me. On the first day of on-site training, I had to be late (with permission) because I had to get my DOT physical right beforehand. But it just happened to snow and close the interstate overnight, so on my way back from the physical, I got stuck in traffic for an hour. I ended up just doing the online training and coming back the next day. But the next day, I didn't have my DOT card (because my doctor had to fax a letter to the examiner first, so I didn't get my DOT card the same day as the appointment, which I didn't even know was the routine. I have my DOT card now.) So the road supervisor had to reschedule my training AGAIN for the week after he gets back from vacation. None of this is my fault, exactly, just unavoidable circumstances. But still, it makes me nervous.

Besides which, I haven't even tried my hand at the job yet, and though I'm optimistic about my abilities, for all I know, I could be rotten at it and just get fired right away anyway.

Meanwhile, I still haven't given my notice to my other job because I'm so uncertain what UPS has in store for me! That means, how it shakes out right now, even if I do quit and go to UPS instead, I'll have to work both jobs for up to two weeks anyway, violating DOT Hours of Service regulations during that time and exhausting myself besides!

Should I give my notice and just suck it up and work both jobs for two weeks? Should I quit UPS and stick to my existing job? Do you see any other options? Thank you for your advice.
I think you should quit you need a break

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I was a male prostitute for the 3 years I worked casual.
Made more money and hated to quit , I just couldn't pass up the benefits and all......:wink2: