helper bonus ?

UPS83

Ive been a driver helper for a couple weeks and have been available to work everyday except for one, in which a family member passed away and I had to attend the funeral. If I provide proof of this will I still recieve the end of the season bonus?

mlhradio

Were you promised a bonus? I know as a driver helper down here, the very idea was never discussed. (Although individual drivers may give out Christmas bonuses out of their own pocket - my driver has bought me lunch three times)

cheddar

Just call your Helper Coordinator and ask. Mine has been very helpful so far with questions that I have.
In AZ here, they promised an extra $100 for showing up every time you are scheduled.
And my driver likes to brag about well he's doing financially but he never offers to buy lunch!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
So sorry for your loss. My prayers to you and your family.

When I jumped, I was there everyday. I received my bonus. I can't imagine that they would not give it to you.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Up here in NoVa the bonus is 250.00 each for the driver and the helper as long as the helper works every day from Dec.1 thru xmas.

Good luck with getting that bonus, I think they should pay you, but this is UPS we're talking about. It could go either way.

Bad Gas!

They don't give a bonus in Ga. unless the driver tips you...I've never heard of that....And the hours are very tight..

UPS83

Were you promised a bonus? I know as a driver helper down here, the very idea was never discussed. (Although individual drivers may give out Christmas bonuses out of their own pocket - my driver has bought me lunch three times)

yah they mentioned to us that we would receive a bonus if we didnt miss a day and the lady during orientation said 'no exceptions'. I will call on monday though, thanks for the replies.

evilleace

I have never heard of a bonus for jumping hope we get one though I have been there early every day the extra cash would be nice.

Dutch Dawg

....And my driver likes to brag about well he's doing financially but he never offers to buy lunch!

Yea, it's funny how that works. By chance have you offered to kick back a portion of your wages for him/her giving you the opportunity to work? I suspect you haven't, but yet your tone implies resentment that they have yet to buy you a meal?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

anyone know when the last day we jump is? dec 24th? (wednesday)?:peaceful:

We have been told that we will be able to use our helpers on the 24th. They will be pulling all closures from last year from the cars, keeping the same number of areas on and encouraging us to get the pkgs del and get off the road (there are no scheduled pickups) so that we can spend some time with our families. I plan on giving my helper his tip and taking him out to lunch on the 24th.

This may vary from your center but this is what our center manager told us Friday morning.

cheddar

Yea, it's funny how that works. By chance have you offered to kick back a portion of your wages for him/her giving you the opportunity to work? I suspect you haven't, but yet your tone implies resentment that they have yet to buy you a meal?

No, not at all. I was surprised to read on this forum that drivers can be so generous so it was meant as a joke. I expect nothing.
He already said that he would recommend me as I try to get into UPS on the ground floor...and that's what I was looking for.

Jigawatts

The one year that I jumped I never got my bonus. I made myself available everyday and jumped everyday they asked me with one exception. The first day I asked the supervisor if I was needed. She told me no. They called me later at home while I was out and left a message that they needed me.

Never got my bonus because I didn't jump that one day. That's the last time I ever jumped.

brownIEman

Ive been a driver helper for a couple weeks and have been available to work everyday except for one, in which a family member passed away and I had to attend the funeral. If I provide proof of this will I still recieve the end of the season bonus?​

Very sorry for your loss.

If the opperation you are working in goes by the book regarding the bonus, you are not eligible. As was stated, the official rule per the bonus is if you are ever asked to go out, and cannot, you are not eligible. The reason you cannot make does not make a difference.

As has been stated, speak with your helper coordinator. They keep the attendance log, and they tell HR and Payroll who is and is not eligible at the end of the season. When I am working as a coordinator, I generally apply some leniancy while staying in the letter of the rules. Here is how:

The rules say if we need you to go out, and you do not for any reason, you have lost eligibility. So, if I have a helper who cannot make it one day, but they have been reliable for me every other time, I will try to find someone to fill their spot. Now, once I have filled that need, I can call that helper back and tell them I do not need you today. So, everytime we needed them, they were there. The one time they were not there, I did not need them. Sure, it was retroactively that I did not need them, but never the less.

My best advice is to speak with your coordinator, and always try to be possitive. I can tell you that helper coordinator is, by far, the most miserable job I have seen at UPS, and I have seen many. Everyone has expectations of them that are unrealistic, and almost everyone they deal with is generally not happy about something.

Good luck.