Helper stories

chase

I had a helper that I had set a regular meet time. One day he was not there, called his house, this was way before cell phones, his wife answerd and told me he was not there a hung up.

Three days later he shows up at UPS still in his browns, he had just got out of jail, something about warrants and a domestic dispute. He did not work with me any more.

old levi's

blank space
About 5 years ago during peak my supe. shows up on area in the middle of the afternoon with a helper for me.
This sumbeach was older than me! WTF, are you kidding me? I think he wanted enough money for 1 more bottle of Night Train before the final roundup.

Anyway this sumbeach was so slow you had to drive a stake in the ground for a reference point and then sight across it to tell if this joker was even moving! He didn't work out.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Last year, I had a 19 year old Army recruit as my helper. We kicked butt all peak !!

This year, my helper is 60 !!! ............. and he's just as good as last year's helper !! Just goes to show about judging a book by it's cover !!!

JustTired

free at last.......
Back in the day....most of my helpers from year to year were college kids on break. The females were usually the best although I did have one male that was darn good. I started my day running rural, so I would pick them up in the small town I delivered when I got there. after delivering the town, I would ask them if they wanted to make money. Most did so I would take them into the country. They ran the stops while I got the next stop ready to go. We made great time and I would get back to the town and use them to help make pickups. Then I would turn them loose, take my break and return to the building. I would get done at a decent time and they would make the money they were promised when hired.

I got into a little talk with one of the sups about keeping them too long. When I did the math about how long it would take me to run that many stops alone and the cost.....verses the total cost and hours with the helper, nothing was said to me again and I almost got to enjoy the peak seasons. Then the last couple of years I worked they said I could only use a helper for 2 -3 hrs. I said forget it...I'll do it myself. And I did.

Some day I'll tell you about when I trained 2 sups and a center manager from a neighboring center to use diad 1. Oh brother!!

BrownArmy

My helper this year rocks, he's a machine...

Two years ago, not so much:

This one guy showed up between 30-45 min late everyday, still drunk (stinking of it) from the night before. Useless.

We must have been hard up for helpers, it took me a week and a half to get a different helper!

Indecisi0n

My helper this year rocks, he's a machine...

Two years ago, not so much:

This one guy showed up between 30-45 min late everyday, still drunk (stinking of it) from the night before. Useless.

We must have been hard up for helpers, it took me a week and a half to get a different helper!

I would have refused to pick him up. I almost left my helper the other day because he wouldn't get off his cell phone.

Chnandler Bong

I had one show up this year with a tupperware bowl full of spaghetti. I just looked at her with disbelief and decided to just roll with it. I made all of the deliveries until she was finished. Sometimes when a customer was outside when I pulled up, she would sit in the cab and holler at them to come get it. She always claimed to know them and said she was just joking with them...but I kept explaining to her that we GET PAID to take it TO them! Some people just don't understand exactly what it means to put in a hard day's work, but by the end of peak she seemed to get it.

hembone

I had one show up this year with a tupperware bowl full of spaghetti. I just looked at her with disbelief and decided to just roll with it. I made all of the deliveries until she was finished. Sometimes when a customer was outside when I pulled up, she would sit in the cab and holler at them to come get it. She always claimed to know them and said she was just joking with them...but I kept explaining to her that we GET PAID to take it TO them! Some people just don't understand exactly what it means to put in a hard day's work, but by the end of peak she seemed to get it.
You have more patience than me. It is a virtue.

tarbar66

My peak season question for all the experts here is...... Has anyone ever used 2 helpers at the same time? Back before PAS/EDD I got a message that a driver's child had a medical emergency and I was asked to let a supervisor finish my route and could I take over the medical emergency route. The center manager at the time sweetened the deal by giving me a 2nd helper. I used to run the route and the 1st helper knew the area as well as I.

I had my doubts but I was up for a challenge. The hardest part was dividing up the work once we were done with the commercial area so I only had 1 helper in the car at a time. We got the route done and I returned to the building long before the Sup that took over my route. I told the center manager that his idea was a one shot deal because I went home with a headache(back then stress related issues didn't exist yet).