Helper ???

smokey711

If I'm currently making about $19/hr working PT on a pretty easy job (primary sorter), am I nuts for signing up for helper at $12.88 for this peak??? How much am I going to hate this? One driver just said, "Don't do it" while I was looking at the sheet.

I've never wanted to do it before, due to other jobs/better pay, etc... But this year money is a little tighter, so... Any thoughts/advice?

StopCount

If you are in good shape from your sorting job then it will be easy for you.

The job will be a look into what drivers do on a daily basis and a nice change of pace for you.

It might get boring depending on the driver you are paired with, but just keep the extra money in mind.

You can zone out and run the packages off or you can learn the DIAD and keep your mind busy...

Bring some water and a snack and have fun!

smokey711

Thanks Stop... I'm just a little hesitant, largely due to the fact that I would be the highest seniority PT'er (by FAR) to sign up so far...

gostillerz

I'd do it. We get OT after 5 hrs on preload, then any other work after 8 hours total time worked for the day was OT. You can really bank some money. You'll get some good Christmas party food too. You'll be a zombie at the end of peak though.

gostillerz

if we make over $14 in building, we make $14 helping...this is local 710

My point is the overtime. Last year I did preload 1am-8:30am, so that's 2.5 OT (7.5 total) hours, then helper from 10am-6pm or so, but after my first 1/2 hour running packages, everything was OT.

smokey711

My point is the overtime. Last year I did preload 1am-8:30am, so that's 2.5 OT (7.5 total) hours, then helper from 10am-6pm or so, but after my first 1/2 hour running packages, everything was OT.

Hmmm... This could be bad for me actually. I work Twilight (so it will be after helping...) and if I hit OT during the TWI, they could send me home... Even in peak last year OT was VERY rarely allowed for pt/combo/inside guys around here. It would not be cool to be getting a ton of hours at $12.88, then getting sent home from my $19/hr gig at night.

Well, thank you for the input. I've signed up, so I guess I will just hope for the best!

BROWN430

Hell I use my helper all day. Every year I have a helper from 9 to 430 or 5 and I still dont get done till 630 or 7......................Look at all the extra Christmas money

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center prefers using outside hires as helpers but will use insiders if they need to. The only problem with using insiders is their hours are limited as they do not like to pay them OT.

UPSGUY72

If I'm currently making about $19/hr working PT on a pretty easy job (primary sorter), am I nuts for signing up for helper at $12.88 for this peak??? How much am I going to hate this? One driver just said, "Don't do it" while I was looking at the sheet.

I've never wanted to do it before, due to other jobs/better pay, etc... But this year money is a little tighter, so... Any thoughts/advice?

You can sign up but there probably not going to use you much becasue they won't want to pay you overtime. They rather pay some guy off the street $9.50

evilleace

If he signs up they have to use him in seniority order before they use any off the street hires. Sounds like he has enough seniority to be working everyday.

UPSGUY72

If he signs up they have to use him in seniority order before they use any off the street hires. Sounds like he has enough seniority to be working everyday.

No they don't.

Anyways if you work the preload and then go out as a helper you run into a problem with working to many hours without enough time off. In which then you can't work at all the next day.

When I worked the preload 5:00 to 9:00 and was a helper for two days I had to be off the clock by 5:00 pm or I couldn't work the next day.

evilleace

No they don't.

Anyways if you work the preload and then go out as a helper you run into a problem with working to many hours without enough time off. In which then you can't work at all the next day.

When I worked the preload 5:00 to 9:00 and was a helper for two days I had to be off the clock by 5:00 pm or I couldn't work the next day.

Right I work the preload and have to be off at 5 when I help but in my center at least they have to go by seniority.