Here Is What It Looks Like Without A Union...

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This was on a Fed-Ex thread:

Threats, threats and more threats...

Today during our daily A.M. workgroup meeting, our SM threated all us couriers that:

1. Missing hitting route goals in September = OLCCL
2. Missing hitting route goals also in October = Warning Letter
3. Missing hitting route goals again in November = Termination

How about that? Anyone else had been threated like this?

SM also warned that "this new expectations memo will be corporate-wide."​

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/threats-threats-more-threats-345571/#ixzz23rujHq00
---------------

Yeah, our union is lacking. It should represent us in a more professional way. It should grow a back bone. And it should not bow down to UPS when under pressure, but without some sort of protection, we would look like this.

Last edited:
When someone bashes a union in a conversation or on the net I point out I've never been fired just because my boss didn't get laid the night before.

packageguy

I don't understand why fdx does not go union. there are so many of you guys if you were to stick together, you would win. make the same wages here at ups, pension, benefits. Oh yes did I mention the top pay for package car drivers........... What are you guys waiting for Fred S is not your friend ......and every chance he gets he will stick it to you. Just like ups, but at least your paid a very good wage.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They recently (2008) had their pensions taken away.

Their medical benefits have been reduced, while at the same time their out-of-pocket expenses, copays and deductibles have been increased.

For all practical purposes their base pay has been frozen for almost 2 years now and those freezes will continue for the forseeable future. There is a theoretical mechanism in place for them to receive performance bonuses, but the criterion by which their performance is judged has been rigged to make those bonuses basically impossible to obtain.

An increasing number of them are resorting to taking "stress leave" in order to keep from getting fired.

Oh, did you think I was referring to (non union) FedEx employees? Nope...I was referring to (non union) UPS management.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Their medical benefits have been reduced, while at the same time their out-of-pocket expenses, copays and deductibles have been increased.

For all practical purposes their base pay has been frozen for almost 2 years now and those freezes will continue for the forseeable future. There is a theoretical mechanism in place for them to receive performance bonuses, but the criterion by which their performance is judged has been rigged to make those bonuses basically impossible to obtain.

An increasing number of them are resorting to taking "stress leave" in order to keep from getting fired.

Oh, did you think I was referring to (non union) FedEx employees? Nope...I was referring to (non union) UPS management.
Had a chat with one the other day. Wow. Just wow. It's not that I'd change my opinion on how we should be treated, I just think they should be treated better, as well.

bluehdmc

There is a theoretical mechanism in place for them to receive performance bonuses, but the criterion by which their performance is judged has been rigged to make those bonuses basically impossible to obtain.

This seems to be the trend in most businesses now. I have a friend who works for one of the large banks. Her pension has been frozen. New employees get a defined contribution rather than defined benefit pension, health benefits costs up, performance bonus criteria raised, etc. And the CEO's everywhere keep getting larger bonuses.

barnyard

KTM rider
The supe that did my non-productive feeder training said that he became a supe because he figured it would take way too long to become a FT driver. He was going over what he had to pay for family insurance and what was covered. Eeeeck.

I have been looking for another job. Finding something that pays 2/3's is tough.

This is a local non-union package service. According to CL ads, FT drivers can expect to make $35,000

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This seems to be the trend in most businesses now. I have a friend who works for one of the large banks. Her pension has been frozen. New employees get a defined contribution rather than defined benefit pension, health benefits costs up, performance bonus criteria raised, etc. And the CEO's everywhere keep getting larger bonuses.

Every penny I will have spent on union dues during my entire (25 years and counting) career at UPS will basically wind up being refunded to me after my 4th or 5th pension check. Which I will be eligible to receive at the age of 50. Not a bad deal at all.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Just to clarify a couple of things:

Management did not have their pensions taken away if they were hired before 2008. They do get more % wise matching in the 401k.

The MIP (that's what the bonus is called) paid 1.9 months salary last year(3.8 for manager). It's about the same as it ever was.

Other than that, you pretty described it accurately except you left out a few things.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Every penny I will have spent on union dues during my entire (25 years and counting) career at UPS will basically wind up being refunded to me after my 4th or 5th pension check. Which I will be eligible to receive at the age of 50. Not a bad deal at all.

I fully believe in the concept of Unions but you have to realize your luck in choosing a "service" based union job that cannot be outsourced overseas.

Just think if you had taken a union job in the manufacturing industry ... you would be working somewhere else and/or for a whole lot less.

Then they should have started here before us and they could have our jobs. I was always going to be a union employee. To bad they didn't have the same idea.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should have been receiving part of them back each year when you filed your tax returns.

That's beautiful writing right there.