HEY ATLANTA! Read this!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I was at our monthly grievance panel yesterday and it was just a typical day. The company deadlocking everything as usual. Its become quite an expensive circus here over the last year or so. With all the pending arbitrations coming up over the next 3 months.

And than a grievance gets heard that was filed by a driver for being intiimidated aand harassed during an OJS ride, which was his 11th in 5 months. The river was forced to take a 31 minute unch while other drivers in his center and throughout 705s area were allowed to take little to no lunch. The driver did take some lunch and when he was done eating he said lets go. Sup said no sit down until I tell you we are going back to work.

The driver protested every couple of minutes. The sup said that his route has a lunch built in to it, keep in mind that lunch is 1 hour here. This drivers 15 minute pick up window was missed on pick ups and even pick ups themselves were closed. This is the sups 11th time riding with him, he should know this.

Anyway, thats a small part of the story, the sup forced him to deliver the route different than edd making the driver work unsafe out of his power zone and deliver 5, 6 and 7000 shelves before his 1s and 2000s.

And un top of it the sup urinated in a coffee cup in the back of the truck and than set it next to the drivers drink in his cup holder. This is where I would have inserted my foot in the sups ####$$%%#$%.

The labor manager presenting the case said its true about the urine in the cup, its true that the driver did not deliver according to edd, and agreed that he was forced to sit at lunch and that pick ups were missed.

You know the company said the grievance should be denied. And deadlocked it. The company is saying its ok to sups to treat us like this. How long do you think it will be before a driver gets sick of this and does something that can get him fired?

I cannot believe what I witnessed yesterday, how long can Atlanta allow this kind of treatment to employees? Its obvious that the labor managers are under direct order not to settle any grievances at panel, why would that be?

Atlanta, I trluy hope you get a grip on this before something bad happens, and if left like this under these working conditions we will see it sooner than later.

trickpony1

I cannot believe what I witnessed yesterday, how long can Atlanta allow this kind of treatment to employees? Its obvious that the labor managers are under direct order not to settle any grievances at panel, why would that be?

Atlanta, I trluy hope you get a grip on this before something bad happens, and if left like this under these working conditions we will see it sooner than later.

Atlanta either:
1) doesn't know;
2) doesn't care or;
3) has given free rein to each district to see what they can get away with.

"....before something bad happens".
If it does happen it will, of course, be a complete surprise and the actions of a "disgruntled" employee.

tieguy

Banned
there is a certain flavor to chicago labor hearings that is unique:happy2:

The items you listed seemed to invalidate the OJS ride.?

The harrassment grievance is for all the OJS rides in the past year? I would think this may become more common. Todays onroad supervisor is expected to ride a lot more then they did in the old days.

Isn there a health and safety style grievance you can file for the urine?

oldpaddy

Unbelievable.

I often wonder if Atlanta knows how our company treats its employees. I'm bewildered that UPS a publicly traded company is so unprofessional. Was it like this before we went public? Is this how Casey ran the company?
In my opinion the way UPS has been treating its union workers is going to hurt UPS in the long run.
It's only a matter of time before people start filing lawsuits, myself included.

trickpony1

The actions of the supe and his urine cup seem to fit well within the subject line of a recent thread that mysteriously disappeared early in it's development......"Baiting at UPS".

705red

Browncafe Steward
there is a certain flavor to chicago labor hearings that is unique:happy2:

Tie we have some good labor managers, and some bad ones just like anywhere else. And just like anyone else they have a boss to answer to and THAT DIRECTS THEM!

The items you listed seemed to invalidate the OJS ride.?

Absolutely in our opinion and now yours.

The harrassment grievance is for all the OJS rides in the past year? I would think this may become more common. Todays onroad supervisor is expected to ride a lot more then they did in the old days.

No it was for this ride and combiined the previous rides. The driver is a 9.5 and has had rides and even on these rides works over 9.5. They cannot get him to match the time study allowance. He maintains around the sporh and in many cases exceeds it. The rides are to intimindate him to fix him instead of fixing the routes allowance or taking work off to get him under 9.5 Just bad management IMO.

Isn there a health and safety style grievance you can file for the urine?

What good would that do? I have just shwon you a grievance that everything points to it being a valid grievance, but the company wants to deny it. By the way article 17 paid for time, 37 harassment and 18 safety where all argued by the union.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Unbelievable.

I often wonder if Atlanta knows how our company treats its employees. I'm bewildered that UPS a publicly traded company is so unprofessional. Was it like this before we went public? Is this how Casey ran the company?
In my opinion the way UPS has been treating its union workers is going to hurt UPS in the long run.
It's only a matter of time before people start filing lawsuits, myself included.

This is documented, all Atlanta has to do is ask its labor department for the deadlocked grievances from yesterdays panel, or pm me and I will get a copy and scan it along with the write up from the driver.

tieguy

Banned
What good would that do? I have just shwon you a grievance that everything points to it being a valid grievance, but the company wants to deny it. By the way article 17 paid for time, 37 harassment and 18 safety where all argued by the union.

I thought there was a health and safety grievance process that could bypass the local grievance process?

tieguy

Banned
The actions of the supe and his urine cup seem to fit well within the subject line of a recent thread that mysteriously disappeared early in it's development......"Baiting at UPS".

Sounds like a great conspiracy theory to chase. I hope it did dissapear since it reflects the seedy side of all of us here.:happy2:
did you pm our hosts to ask them what happened to it or did you just figure you would blast them publicly?

trickpony1

Sounds like a great conspiracy theory to chase. I hope it did dissapear since it reflects the seedy side of all of us here.:happy2:
did you pm our hosts to ask them what happened to it or did you just figure you would blast them publicly?

I don't recall "blasting" anyone publicly. I just commented that it disappeared.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
So in essence what we are saying here - is that its ok for the driver to urinate in a cup/bottle and leave it in the truck - but a management person cannot.

Can you see why the sup is riding with him, heck he was gone long enough for the sup to urinate in a cup in the truck. Ever thought the driver was taking too much time to make the delivery.

You see it half full. We see it half empty. :happy2::peaceful:

705red

Browncafe Steward
So in essence what we are saying here - is that its ok for the driver to urinate in a cup/bottle and leave it in the truck - but a management person cannot.

Can you see why the sup is riding with him, heck he was gone long enough for the sup to urinate in a cup in the truck. Ever thought the driver was taking too much time to make the delivery.

What I see is that you and this sup have a lot in common. Maybe you should both practice asking "would you like to super size that". Socks can be your fry boy!

satellitedriver

Great,
I can save all my cups and leave them on my sups desk.
Tit for Tat.
All jokes aside,
it is a Haz Mat issue that should not be taken lightly.
Personally, if a sup did that to me I would stop my car and ask him/her to dispose of it properly.
If he/she would not, I would pick up the cup and throw it into their face.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet

Great,
I can save all my cups and leave them on my sups desk.
Tit for Tat.
All jokes aside,
it is a Haz Mat issue that should not be taken lightly.
Personally, if a sup did that to me I would stop my car and ask him/her to dispose of it properly.
If he/she would not, I would pick up the cup and throw it into their face.
I would just puke on their shirt....

brownrod

Only thing that bothers me about this story is the sup urinating in a cup and putting it in the cup holder. Other than that just do what the sup says. Who cares if pickups are missed. I certainly wouldn't. I would del the route anyway the sup told me to even if it's totally retarded. It's not my ass. If a sup is riding with me and we have missed pickups and other service issues it's definitely not me the center manager is going to be questioning.

I pissed off a huge national company today. Major complaint action. Hey man, if UPS wanted me to deliver them early then they wouldn't be on shelf 5.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
This is documented, all Atlanta has to do is ask its labor department for the deadlocked grievances from yesterdays panel, or pm me and I will get a copy and scan it along with the write up from the driver.
Wow...That urine thing registers a 10 on the "straying over the line" meter.

You have no idea what, when or how this incident took place yet you try to blame a driver for a supervisor's disgusting behavior.
You have posted some pretty stupid remarks in the past, but this one may top them all.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Could this "left pee in the cup next to the driver's drink" be racially motivated? This reads like someone who really has a target on their back. After the 11th OJS ride this sounds like a personal vendetta between the sup and the driver or maybe he was directed to be personally harassed by the center manager? Obviously he getting under somebody's skin.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Only thing that bothers me about this story is the sup urinating in a cup and putting it in the cup holder. Other than that just do what the sup says. Who cares if pickups are missed. I certainly wouldn't. I would del the route anyway the sup told me to even if it's totally retarded. It's not my ass. If a sup is riding with me and we have missed pickups and other service issues it's definitely not me the center manager is going to be questioning.

I pissed off a huge national company today. Major complaint action. Hey man, if UPS wanted me to deliver them early then they wouldn't be on shelf 5.

I re-read this (twice) to see if there were any signs of sarcasm and couldn't find any. It is your route and if your EDD and/or pickup log are screwed up it is your job to fix them. Missed pickups and a poor trace are a reflection on you, not your sup, as he is only with you for a day.

You know your route better than your sup so how hard is it for you to go through your EDD to see if your "huge national company" has been PALed to the wrong shelf location and to alter your trace to ensure that they get their pkgs in a timely manner? You will deservedly get an earful when you go back to that stop on Monday for not taking care of them on Friday.

You need to take ownership in your route. Those are your customers and you need to do a better job of taking care of them, whether they are a "huge national company" or some little mom and pop store.

You need to take ownership in your career. Placing the blame for missed pickups and a poor delivery trace on the sup reflects poorly on you. If you know that a "huge national company" wants their delivery early then you break off and get their packages to them early.

As far as the sup and the cup it wouldn't have gotten to that point as we would have stopped somewhere to let him use the restroom. Adults don't pee in cups--hell, I have a hard enough time peeing in a trough when I go to Fenway.

It is truly sad how far we have fallen as a company.

Last edited: