HEY ATLANTA! Read this!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That is indeed my attitude. I could not care less that I pissed them off. I was placed in a no win situation by UPS. I was simply doing my best.
BR, I couldn't agree with you more. I have been in this situation so many times it ridiculous. Every rte I know I have learned on my own with no help from mgt and I didn't have edd to follow. I have had so many businesses pissed off because of this same issue. I felt the same as you do. I could've cared less. If mgt wanted it del. by the customers standards they would have given me half a chance to do it. The way I look at is this, "Someone has to be last and today wasn't your lucky day."

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Here it is AGAIN, read carefully.
I

Your right Bubblehead, I apologize for not reading 2nd quote well. I only saw 1st quote I pissed off a huge national company today. Major complaint action. Hey man, if UPS wanted me to deliver them early then they wouldn't be on shelf 5 which gave no background to what, where, why and how. His quote stuck out like a sore thumb with no explanation. I apologize to all.
But I still stand by my opinion - dont like flippant attitude - Cant we take this experience and work together. Rather than having a no care attitude, go to your management team with a do care attitude to prevent this from happening again..

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I

Your right Bubblehead, I apologize for not reading 2nd quote well. I only saw 1st quote I pissed off a huge national company today. Major complaint action. Hey man, if UPS wanted me to deliver them early then they wouldn't be on shelf 5 which gave no background to what, where, why and how. His quote stuck out like a sore thumb with no explanation. I apologize to all.
But I still stand by my opinion - dont like flippant attitude - Cant we take this experience and work together. Rather than having a no care attitude, go to your management team with a do care attitude to prevent this from happening again..
The problem with going to mgt with an "I do care" attitude is that most mgt could care less. I know, I've had those mgt types. And it doesn't prevent anything. All it does is give the driver an IDGAS attitude. Mgt doesn't care, why should I? You are being idealistic and I aplaud you for it but it doesn't (for the most part) work in the real UPS world. All UPS wants is for us to go out and bust our asses trying to do a job that is difficult at best, get the sales leads, meet the expected sporhs, meet the commits and on and on and on. If we can't do that then we get harrassed badgered and belittled (kind of like what you did with your career assessment comment, which leads me to believe that you have never covered and are indeed mgt), bullied, threatened and I can go on with this too. I don't take kindly the tactics that UPS uses, in fact I tend to get a little pissy about it. :biting:

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
The problem with going to mgt with an "I do care" attitude is that most mgt could care less. I know, I've had those mgt types. And it doesn't prevent anything. All it does is give the driver an IDGAS attitude. Mgt doesn't care, why should I? You are being idealistic and I aplaud you for it but it doesn't (for the most part) work in the real UPS world. All UPS wants is for us to go out and bust our asses trying to do a job that is difficult at best, get the sales leads, meet the expected sporhs, meet the commits and on and on and on. If we can't do that then we get harrassed badgered and belittled (kind of like what you did with your career assessment comment, which leads me to believe that you have never covered and are indeed mgt), bullied, threatened and I can go on with this too. I don't take kindly the tactics that UPS uses, in fact I tend to get a little pissy about it. :biting:

OK.. I didnt mean to belittle, and I apologize if thats how it came off. And agreed, there are managers as you describe. I've been around a long long time. I am in the UPS world - the drivers who still care work every day with DPS team to correct their EDD, etc We have 3 on road sups - 2 old timers who support and back their drivers up and a rookie from IE, who tries in everyway possible.
It does work in the real world. Of course there are those drivers who have become burned out and get that dont care attitude - those are the ones who have become plain difficult and always have something to complain about. And it wears everyone around them out. And the same is true with some managers. I am just lucky this time around to be around very few of these kind.
But seriously, dont you agree for the most part, the system does work. UPS is still operating - delivering and picking up. And yes it is the drivers (bid, cover and air drivers) who make it happen. Most of us, just want to work and go home.
Dont you agree that complaining is counterproductive? All this negativity, flippant comments - it just wears you down and nothing good will come from it. Isnt it just better to try to work with your on-road sups or DPS sups to work out the problems.... Not all are as you described - just give them a chance. You cant generalize - UPS tactics. Not all use UPS tactics.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
OK.. I didnt mean to belittle, and I apologize if thats how it came off. And agreed, there are managers as you describe. I've been around a long long time. I am in the UPS world - the drivers who still care work every day with DPS team to correct their EDD, etc We have 3 on road sups - 2 old timers who support and back their drivers up and a rookie from IE, who tries in everyway possible.
It does work in the real world. Of course there are those drivers who have become burned out and get that dont care attitude - those are the ones who have become plain difficult and always have something to complain about. And it wears everyone around them out. And the same is true with some managers. I am just lucky this time around to be around very few of these kind.
But seriously, dont you agree for the most part, the system does work. UPS is still operating - delivering and picking up. And yes it is the drivers (bid, cover and air drivers) who make it happen. Most of us, just want to work and go home.
Dont you agree that complaining is counterproductive? All this negativity, flippant comments - it just wears you down and nothing good will come from it. Isnt it just better to try to work with your on-road sups or DPS sups to work out the problems.... Not all are as you described - just give them a chance. You cant generalize - UPS tactics. Not all use UPS tactics.

I come to work most every morning with the very attitude and mindset you have described and prescribed.
Problem being, it rarely lasts past noon.:happy2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I come to work most every morning with the very attitude and mindset you have described and prescribed.
Problem being, it rarely lasts past noon.:happy2:

Noon? The PCM usually ends it for me. As for a Supe peeing in a cup, I would have headed to one of the clinics on my area and takin the sample in for testing. Anyone who would do that has to be on something.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yes, I do agree with you in many respects. And you agree that in many cases (not all but many) the reason drivers have an IDGAS attitude is because of their mgt team. Yes, there are drivers that just plain have nothing nice to say. Our center, albeit as small as it is, has the drivers that just bitch to bitch. It does make the environment less tenable. Yes, the complaining is counter-productive. Mgt's constant badgering and harrassing is also counter-productive but they seem to not have a clue about that.

Yes, the system does work and it works much better when the mgt team actually tries to fix problems. Not always the case though. I would be one of the drivers that would work with the DPS team to get my rte in perfect order. I would not be happy until it was in perfect order. Even though I do not have a rte of my own I have set up several rtes because the regular drivers refuse to do it. I set them up the way that makes sense to me. If the regular driver doesn't like it then tough ****. They should have done it themselves.

I accept your apology and offer my own for getting testy.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Yes, I do agree with you in many respects. And you agree that in many cases (not all but many) the reason drivers have an IDGAS attitude is because of their mgt team. Yes, there are drivers that just plain have nothing nice to say. Our center, albeit as small as it is, has the drivers that just bitch to bitch. It does make the environment less tenable. Yes, the complaining is counter-productive. Mgt's constant badgering and harrassing is also counter-productive but they seem to not have a clue about that.

Yes, the system does work and it works much better when the mgt team actually tries to fix problems. Not always the case though. I would be one of the drivers that would work with the DPS team to get my rte in perfect order. I would not be happy until it was in perfect order. Even though I do not have a rte of my own I have set up several rtes because the regular drivers refuse to do it. I set them up the way that makes sense to me. If the regular driver doesn't like it then tough ****. They should have done it themselves.

I accept your apology and offer my own for getting testy. [/Q

Thats ok Dilligaf. We all get passionate about our ideas and opinions - and sometimes words are said before thought.

I got involved in this thread when I read one line of a post, which hit me the wrong way. All I saw was: large national account - major complaint (to me that means a corporate complaint with District Manager and possibly above involved). It seemed to me that the driver knew stop was in the 5000 section and purposely ignored it and casually said Oh well, if they wanted me to deliver earlier than it wouldn't be loaded in the 5000 section. I didn't see the whole picture.

And I bet those regular drivers who refuse to set up their own routes are the first to complain.. I hope they at least thanked you for your efforts!!!

In my defense, a large national account in my bldg would have a preferred delivery window. And any cover driver would be aware of this and would know where the stop is loaded. Was this stop in driver's EDD? Was it loaded on the same shelf as usual?

brownrod

[
And I bet those regular drivers who refuse to set up their own routes are the first to complain.. I hope they at least thanked you for your efforts

In my defense, a large national account in my bldg would have a preferred delivery window. And any cover driver would be aware of this and would know where the stop is loaded. Was this stop in driver's EDD? Was it loaded on the same shelf as usual?

Of course the stop was in EDD. But I had never delivered to that company before and did not know their address. I did not even know what areas were on the route. I was completely cold with no area knowledge. As I said before, it was all greek to me. I had no idea if any particular address in my EDD was resi or com.

Our center has been on PAS for about 6 months. After PAS was implemented, every morning the center manager would tell us to come in and fix our routes!!! Get them set up. I tried to do that with a couple routes but the IE/PAS guy just blew me off and never spoke to me.

When we got PAS I asked many drivers how the edd was on their route and the two most common replies were - "Totally friend'd UP" and "totally friend'ing retarded."

I've never been asked my opinion. I've never been asked to help fix any routes. Actually the routes change drastically every day. You never know what version of the route you will get from one day to the next. Sometimes the route changes so much that maybe only 1 or 2 shelves are the same from the previous day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Of course the stop was in EDD. But I had never delivered to that company before and did not know their address. I did not even know what areas were on the route. I was completely cold with no area knowledge. As I said before, it was all greek to me. I had no idea if any particular address in my EDD was resi or com.

Our center has been on PAS for about 6 months. After PAS was implemented, every morning the center manager would tell us to come in and fix our routes!!! Get them set up. I tried to do that with a couple routes but the IE/PAS guy just blew me off and never spoke to me.

When we got PAS I asked many drivers how the edd was on their route and the two most common replies were - "Totally friend'd UP" and "totally friend'ing retarded."

I've never been asked my opinion. I've never been asked to help fix any routes. Actually the routes change drastically every day. You never know what version of the route you will get from one day to the next. Sometimes the route changes so much that maybe only 1 or 2 shelves are the same from the previous day.
BR, we were like this for a long time. It has gotten better. It sucks to be on our end of the stick, especially when the bid driver refuses to fix anything. It is what it is. We do what we can do. We have one rte here, part of it isn't even on a map. The bid driver won't make a map of the delivery area. I have done this rte very few times and most of the area that is not on the map I bring back. My sup knows that whenever he puts me on it some of it is coming back. I do what I can.

Rose, I understand that you didn't get the whole picture. I understood it without even reading the whole OP. Again, you have never covered so it would be easy to not get the whole picture. My words were well thought out, I just didn't have to put the bite into them. No, there was not one thank you in the lot.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Let me get this straight. The Supes don't have the time or the ambition to train these cover drivers on the routes they run and the customer (you know, the business we are all trying to get and keep) suffers. These same Supes seem to have all the time in the world to do observations 2 at a time, do 3 day rides over 10 minutes of production, or just hang out in the center nitpicking paperwork. This company can consolidate districts, start initiatives, come up with a million acronyms but the business starts and ends with the driver serving the customer to the customer's satisfaction. If not, the white and green or white and purple trucks delivering next door would be happy to take the work.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!

Brownrod,

First of all I want to apologize for not reading your successive posts explaining what happened. As Dilligaf said it will get better. We've been on PAS for at least 2 years and I guess I forget the beginning... Things do run smoothly - but those bid route drivers DO have to get involved. Can't you talk with your on road sup - its in their interest also to fix the routes in their group. I remember in the beginning sups spending lots of time with PAS team to fix routes of their drivers.
Honestly, I feel like we work for completely different companies.

CRASH501

We had it different . they sent supes out with GPS enabled palm pilot's that they would count steps stop by stop and classify how long the walk was to and from the truck along with notes of special circumstances Doormen , supers that hold for tenants ect. they rode the entire building about a year prior to pas/edd being implimented . to the best of my knowledge its still screwy , depending on the cuts