Hey! (New UPS Employee)

stoavio

Just thought I'd stop in and say hello. I think it's really cool that there's a centralized area for all UPS employees to visit and share information online.

I just accepted a position as a loader/unloader in the P.M. So far the process has been very smooth. I went in for my first interview June 10th and went into the facility today to watch a few videos and sign off on the remaining papers regarding taxes and policies.

I hear the loading/unloading job is really fast paced and physically demanding. Can anyone offer some pointers or words of advice? Anything a newbie might benefit from knowing right off the bat?

Thanks! :)

rod

Retired 22 years
All you have to do is get used to the fact that you will never be "fast enough" and you will do just fine. That brings up another question. Has anybody EVER been told you were "fast enough"?

stoavio

Thanks rod, I'll keep that in mind. Can any loaders/unloaders shed some light on the position? I know I have to move packages, and fast, but any tips about handling, stacking, moving, etc? Anything that will make me more efficient?

Also, what have some of you other loader/unloaders seen as far as physical benefits go? Have you shed some weight? Put on some lean body mass? That's one of my reasons for taking this particular job. I'm really interested in being physically active. :)

helenofcalifornia

From my experience when I first started, I remember thinking I broke my back it hurt so bad. Your back muscles will hurt for about three weeks until you get used to the work. Anyone can do it, it just takes getting used to. Bring LOTS of water, ice water, if you work in a hot area. Unloading is mindless drone work, loading is like the game of Tetris. Some people have an eye for it others don't. Good luck. Report back.

stoavio

diadlover said:
$20 bet to anyone that this noob quits in his first month.

Thanks for the support ..pylon.

From my experience when I first started, I remember thinking I broke my back it hurt so bad. Your back muscles will hurt for about three weeks until you get used to the work. Anyone can do it, it just takes getting used to. Bring LOTS of water, ice water, if you work in a hot area. Unloading is mindless drone work, loading is like the game of Tetris. Some people have an eye for it others don't. Good luck. Report back.

@helenofcalifornia: I'm looking forward to the physical challenge. I'm a bit nervous but I think I can handle it. I don't plan on quitting either ;)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Do not plan on doing anything else strenuous the first week, even tho its only 3 hrs a day. No grocery carrying, no picking up the garbage, no Sex. Just saving all your strength to make it to Payday, or Friday. Then you can recover and the next week maybe take out the garbage.............
You will be told how many pieces per hr to do, and you will be trained and instructed on how to do this safely............
And then you will figure it out on your own.

helenofcalifornia

Believe me, they need you more than you need them. New employees don't stay around like they used to. Some new PT'ers have issues with getting to work on time on a regular basis, others call in sick before they have achieved senority (DON'T!!!). If you really want to keep the job and drive some day, play the game. Management will leave you be if you aren't a problem, unless you work for some tripped out center.

stoavio

helenofcalifornia said:
Believe me, they need you more than you need them. New employees don't stay around like they used to. Some new PT'ers have issues with getting to work on time on a regular basis, others call in sick before they have achieved senority (DON'T!!!). If you really want to keep the job and drive some day, play the game. Management will leave you be if you aren't a problem, unless you work for some tripped out center.

Thanks for the sound advice. I was hired as a seasonal employee, so I'm not part time yet am I? I'll be working 4 hours a day 5 days a week.

brownieboy

Summer hire. We have that BS here too. If you work ONE single day after Labor Day, you are a permanent hire. I think your seniorty will retro back, if you get perm. status. Good luck. Just remember NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS. LOL Oh yeah, WELCOME ABOARD!

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I work local sort. This is my second time around. The first time I shed about 20 lbs by the end of August. This time I've only been working for 2 weeks but everyone is right. Prepare for physical agony, especially in the morning.
Tip: Protein shake before bed. The reason your muscles hurt is because there is small tears in them and all muscle is made of protein. This will give them [muscles] a chance to heal overnight. You will still be in pain but it'll be more bearable.

Best of luck.

UPSn00b

boxchucker
And always remember, Tylenol is your friend...unless of course you're allergic to it...then...well...stay away from that crap!

aspenleaf

A gal on my line was told she was too slow and bringing down the boxline. Her reply was "I am a middle aged woman with a fat ass and this is as fast I move!" Oh and her leg is “bad” from the time a UPS driver backed into her (this was before the cameras were installed). She has been with UPS for 12 years and she works her butt off. Her drivers like her and have not complained. Some in management think her numbers are not good which just two weeks ago were fine but they raised the numbers on us (from 200 pph to 230 pph).

I used to try to be faster to do a better job but. . .my drivers told me to stop. They said that no matter how good or fast I was it would never be enough according to management. I am so thankful they told me. I still the best job I can but at a more normal pace.

stoavio, hang in there and don't forget to drink your water.

stoavio

brownieboy said:
Summer hire. We have that BS here too. If you work ONE single day after Labor Day, you are a permanent hire. I think your seniorty will retro back, if you get perm. status. Good luck. Just remember NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS. LOL Oh yeah, WELCOME ABOARD!

Thanks! What do you mean by numbers, numbers, numbers? :confused:1

B

brownISer

is anyone happy working for UPS???...if not, leave, and stop complaining about it here!

stoavio

aspenleaf said:
A gal on my line was told she was too slow and bringing down the boxline. Her reply was "I am a middle aged woman with a fat ass and this is as fast I move!" Oh and her leg is “bad” from the time a UPS driver backed into her (this was before the cameras were installed). She has been with UPS for 12 years and she works her butt off. Her drivers like her and have not complained. Some in management think her numbers are not good which just two weeks ago were fine but they raised the numbers on us (from 200 pph to 230 pph).

I used to try to be faster to do a better job but. . .my drivers told me to stop. They said that no matter how good or fast I was it would never be enough according to management. I am so thankful they told me. I still the best job I can but at a more normal pace.

stoavio, hang in there and don't forget to drink your water.

Oh, that's interesting. So, there's a quota all package handlers (which is what I'm considered, right?) have to meet every hour?