high value damage claim denied. Seeking advise

DS

Fenderbender
ARLESHEIM, CH 11/26/20098:09 P.M.MULTIPLE TRACKING NUMBERS WERE FOUND ON THIS PACKAGE
did you reuse an old box? I would go to extreme measures to ensure this very pricey item arrived in good shape.If I were you I'd accept it if they send it back,after all its the only evidence you have.If it was damaged by a forklift or something similar,I hope you get your money back.

hpc

No we did not reuse a old box. 100% new packaging. I am assumings the double label is the original label and the second is the return label.
again on accepting teh package am I accepting teh laiability/

hpc

That is another thing I have called three attorneys and have yet to have one return a call. (they must be the only boom industry right now)

JonFrum

One poster says he hasn't seen a forklift in his building in 30 years. Another says there are no forklifts in the system.

Actually there are forklifts at some UPS facilities and we do handle palletized parcels. My facility in Lynnfield, Ma. has a forklift, and I drive it on occasion. (It's also used, among other things, to move air igloos, though they are empty at the time.)

It's possible to spear something with the tines and there is a lot of force behind it when you do.

Maybe the package could be traced to determine if the facilities it passed thru have forklifts?

High Value packages are handled seperately from other packages. They must be hand-delivered to the High Value Clerk by the pick-up driver and the Clerk inspects them and wraps them in a special white bag with red stripes for visibility. They are them placed by hand on the end of the appropriate trailer under the watchful eye of the High Value Clerk. Records are kept at every stage of transport. If the package was damaged along the way, their should be a detailed paper trail.

It's even possible a trailer went by rail along the way and was speared by the railroad. I've seen trailers with "forklift" holes in the side, which I assume is from an overhead crane lifting the trailer off the rail.

hpc

That is exactly how my driver explained it as well with the high value end. Do remember this went overseas and I am sure things differ at that point from the locals here in the US.
It definitely seems like it has been trying to be covered up since we made the claim.

hpc

I have look at that as the adjuster emailed me a link. He actually said that declared value is not a insurance and is not relegated to the normal insurance standards. Can you explain some of the back talk on that?

upandcomer

hpc, I should be able to PM you tomorrow at work with the correct contact information. I don't want to comment on anything but I can at least get you a hold of somebody that can.

hpc

hpc, I should be able to PM you tomorrow at work with the correct contact information. I don't want to comment on anything but I can at least get you a hold of somebody that can.
Thanks for all the help. A good point of contact would be great. I am still convinced that I can straighten this out if I can actually get someone to take a look at it. Our system is tied to UPS so I really do not want to switch companies but if we cant I just cant see continuing business with them.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
We sold a unit a couple of months ago for 24500 (international sale)
Our customer received the unit and notified us that it was damaged and sent pictures of the devise plus pictures of the boxes.
on the boxes you can see a nice hole where it appears to of been pierced from my guess a forklift tine. Damage to the unit correlates to the box damage as well.
We insured the unit for our cost of the device $16400 and thought at least we were covered on it. Now after fighting with UPS for 2 months now they have completely denied the claim as they say we shipped it in that condition (hole in box and all) Even after our driver and the local manager at the shop testified to the UPS insurance adjuster that the unit was not shipped that way and did not leave their depot in that condition. (I assumed that was going to cinch the case for me)
The adjuster said the only way they would pay the claim is if we had pictures of the box at time of shipment.
We are now faced with taking this to court and throwing more money at it or just eating it. neither option seems good.
Take pictures of a box and tell them that its the one you shipped. How could it be proved otherwise?????

UPS doesn't like to pay claims - its always usually deemed "insufficient packaging" on the customers behalf

hpc

We thought about doing just that as we do have the same boxes and equipment that we could and we will do that for court (we wont it is teh package but we will say it is identical to the one we sent ( will have same codes and everything.) We hired a attorney today as I recieved a call from a UPS rep who basicly said friend-off.

hpc

That is funny you mention that. The rep who called today said that UPS does not use forklift. Then he shut up when I told him that people from this site said that they do.
Well the package showed up this afternoon and of course it is severely even more damaged now as UPS sent it back with no packing material at all(some popped air bags, not ours we do not use them) and in two boxes just taped together.
What a bunch of idiots.
(not anyone here)
The rep also said this morning that the claim is being denied for a new reason as it is shock damage and not their fault. Never mind the now smashed front and the forklift hole that was not why the unit doesn't work.

That is funny you mention that. The rep who called today said that UPS does not use forklift. Then he shut up when I told him that people from this site said that they do.
Well the package showed up this afternoon and of course it is severely even more damaged now as UPS sent it back with no packing material at all(some popped air bags, not ours we do not use them) and in two boxes just taped together.
What a bunch of idiots.
(not anyone here)
The rep also said this morning that the claim is being denied for a new reason as it is shock damage and not their fault. Never mind the now smashed front and the forklift hole that was not why the unit doesn't work.
HPC, I am sorry that our company is treating you in this manner. It's thingd like this that has kept me from telling new acquaintances where I work(ed).
The only advice I have for you is to continue with the legal aspect with your lawyer.

8up

keep pursuing the company via the center manager or your account representative hopefully they'll come around. be aware as a large company we see a lot of damage fraud because folks think we are so big we will payoff everything. i picked up a package once, heard the broken glass inside and opened it right there on the shippers dock. the tv tube was already broken, they didn't have much to say. i've also seen wooden crates dropped from poor and lazy handling, the grate fell apart, but the device remained intact. never heard of Crawford, is that a claims company?
good luck,

Integrity

Binge Poster
If any UPS employee treats you or speaks to you in a manner that is less than professional, my advise to you is to report that employee to UPS Help Line. The number is (800)-220-4126.

I