Higher Expectations for Ground Employees

franknitty

Once E2 and XS services have been shifted over to Ground completely, isn't it safe to assume that FedEx is going to expect higher performances onroad from Ground drivers. such as pickup/delivery, SPH, leave/return to building times, sales leads, etc. ? I'm not saying these items don't affect ground drivers at this time, but if earnings are up on the ground side Fred S will want to continue that trend to process upward every year.

bbsam

Staff member
Once E2 and XS services have been shifted over to Ground completely, isn't it safe to assume that FedEx is going to expect higher performances onroad from Ground drivers. such as pickup/delivery, SPH, leave/return to building times, sales leads, etc. ? I'm not saying these items don't affect ground drivers at this time, but if earnings are up on the ground side Fred S will want to continue that trend to process upward every year.
Yes. And as a Ground ISP, wouldn't I expect to pay more for the higher performance since I too will be making more?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Here's the deal as I see it. FedEx has to toe a fine line with Ground drivers because if they exert too much control, the drivers could potentially be re-classified as employees. Obviously, Fred doesn't want that. Higher performance? You bet, and once again, FedEx cannot push too hard in this area. I, however, think they WILL push, and push hard, thereby threatening the very slave wages basis of the Ground scam.

I've been explaining the concept of Express-style PUD to the Ground drivers I know, and they aren't thrilled. They are used to basically straightlining everything, which Express can only do when we have a disruption. Some of them are good enough to figure it out, but a lot are not. FedEx is going to be asking for more, yet not be willing to pay more. Sound familiar?

bbsam

Staff member
Actually, I think I do. Without you, Fred would have a bunch of employees. With you, he has "non-employees" he can indirectly control just like the real thing. Win-Win for Mr. Burns.

You should stop in your local Ground facility and talk to the Ops managers and get a feel for just how little control they really have. I think you would be astonished.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You should stop in your local Ground facility and talk to the Ops managers and get a feel for just how little control they really have. I think you would be astonished.

Not from what I hear, although I don't work in a Ground facility. IMO, they are going to be watching their actions more closely when the switchover occurs.

bbsam

Staff member
Not from what I hear, although I don't work in a Ground facility. IMO, they are going to be watching their actions more closely when the switchover occurs.

Exactly. You may have talked to contractors. You've heard from some here. But you've never heard it from the company ops side. They are hamstrung. They are micro-managed from Pittsburgh and towing a hard-ass line with contractors can cause huge ramifications. What senior manger wants a contractor to walk out and leave 5 full trucks sitting on the dock with nobody to drive them? How does that senior manager answer Pittsburgh? That's not to say that I go out of my way to screw the company, because I don't. My goals are much the same as FDX's, but for us to succeed, they have to hold up their end of the agreement as well.

CJinx

Well, Sam is right. There isn't a whole lot anybody can do as long as the ISP is meeting the guidelines laid out in the contracts they negotiated. Even when they do something stupid, I think some managers don't think it's worth the effort. (07s in multiple towns in the span of 10 minutes? BS.)

bbsam

Staff member
Well, Sam is right. There isn't a whole lot anybody can do as long as the ISP is meeting the guidelines laid out in the contracts they negotiated. Even when they do something stupid, I think some managers don't think it's worth the effort. (07s in multiple towns in the span of 10 minutes? BS.)

Actually that can get a driver fired and a contract sent up for termination. There is oftrn quite a bit of bonus money tied to that kind of falsification so the company has a double complaint. Falsification and theft. Terminal probably won't want to rock the boat if they can help it.

CJinx

Actually that can get a driver fired and a contract sent up for termination. There is oftrn quite a bit of bonus money tied to that kind of falsification so the company has a double complaint. Falsification and theft. Terminal probably won't want to rock the boat if they can help it.
I've only seen action taken like this when a complaint gets called in. If it gets caught at the station then it tends to get swept under the rug.

bbsam

Staff member
I've only seen action taken like this when a complaint gets called in. If it gets caught at the station then it tends to get swept under the rug.

True. But it is filed away should "future action" be deemed necessary. Document everything.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
What I hate about this whole ISP/Contractor stuff is when a complaint gets called in it's basically deemed legit whether it is or isn't!
There 'ya go! A Ground driver forged my signature on a ISR package about 3 years ago even though I was home at the time. Seems like the fool couldn't wait 5 more seconds for me to come to the door. I called the Ground terminal and complained and I get this "Oh he shouldn't be doing that" reply and the excuse that he's an independent contractor BS. He still has his job by the way.