Hired off the street as a "cut route" driver -navigation worries

Dumbo

Hello,

I was just hired as an off the street permanent package driver. I'm really excited except for 2 issues:

I was told I'd be a cut driver, or utility driver I think somebody else called it. Basically I don't have an assigned route and every day could he different city or route.

My major worry is navigation. How am I supposed to learn or efficiently deliver packages if every day is a totally new area? I'm a good driver, and a hard worker, but I know it's demanding. How can I keep up if so much time is dedicated to where my next stop is going to be? The Diad just tells you the next stop, not how to get there. Im worried I'll get fired because Im taking too long looking for my next stop.

How do you all navigate around?

I'm just worried because I'll be giving up a 15 year career in a stable job and I've got a wife and 3 kids to feed.

Any tips or advice appreciated. It's not that I'm opposed to started from the bottom and waiting my turn for an assigned route. I understand being a newbie and taking my licks. I just don't want to get set up to fail and fail my family.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello,

I was just hired as an off the street permanent package driver. I'm really excited except for 2 issues:

I was told I'd be a cut driver, or utility driver I think somebody else called it. Basically I don't have an assigned route and every day could he different city or route.

My major worry is navigation. How am I supposed to learn or efficiently deliver packages if every day is a totally new area? I'm a good driver, and a hard worker, but I know it's demanding. How can I keep up if so much time is dedicated to where my next stop is going to be? The Diad just tells you the next stop, not how to get there. Im worried I'll get fired because Im taking too long looking for my next stop.

I'm just worried because I'll be giving up a 15 year career in a stable job and I've got a wife and 3 kids to feed.

Any tips or advice appreciated. It's not that I'm opposed to started from the bottom and waiting my turn for an assigned route. I understand being a newbie and taking my licks. I just don't want to get set up to fail and fail my family.

Ever heard of a map?

Dumbo

I'm not an idiot. Of course I've heard of a map. However, you don't see a lot of UPS drivers looking at a map on the side of the road. You don't see them reading a map while driving. I've read on this site and been told that they constantly push you to go faster and not waste time. In my head, I don't see how reading a map book after every stop is not going to slow you way down and have supervisors looking at why you are slow.

I understand being on a regular route and learning it. That is efficient. I don't quite understand how you can be efficient if you are in an entire different city or area every day.

Does this paint a better picture for you as to why I'm a little worried? My question in case you were confused is how to most efficiently be a good driver and if there are certain methods to learn in doing so. I was a courier in 2000 for a while and I read map books. Just wondering if being it's 2017 things have changed.

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

I'm not an idiot. Of course I've heard of a map. However, you don't see a lot of UPS drivers looking at a map on the side of the road. You don't see them reading a map while driving. I've read on this site and been told that they constantly push you to go faster and not waste time. In my head, I don't see how reading a map book after every stop is not going to slow you way down and have supervisors looking at why you are slow.

I understand being on a regular route and learning it. That is efficient. I don't quite understand how you can be efficient if you are in an entire different city or area every day.

Does this paint a better picture for you as to why I'm a little worried? My question in case you were confused is how to most efficiently be a good driver and if there are certain methods to learn in doing so. I was a courier in 2000 for a while and I read map books. Just wondering if being it's 2017 things have changed.
I had a country route where there is little to know cell service. I relied mainly on the moon and the stars. Rough days were when it got cloudy out.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

See post #2

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Hello,

Your first few days blind you'll have an ORS out with you so that will help since he'll have a tablet and can tell you where to go. Usually if you're some sort of cover driver you'll be on the same route for a few days then switched to another route. This can give you time to get acclimated to the route. Don't be afraid to use a GPS from time to time. It's frowned upon by a good number of people on here but it can help you in a bind. I used my GPS for the first week or so on my peak route then slowly weaned myself off of it. Try studying areas on google maps when you go home and try memorizing certain large businesses, landmarks or housing developments as reference points on your route. No one is expecting you to get it instantly. You'll most likely have an "a-ha" moment a few weeks in. We all did.

Acax22

If you have google maps in your phone all you gotta do is keep it on all the time and you'll be good, also before going out ask someone who knows the route for tips, that always helps a lot. Also you got to be very observative, after day 1 you should be able to remember most of the route. I am in the same situation as you and already know 6 routes upside down and don't worry about the times at the beginning, since you don't know the routes they know you may :censored2: things up, but don't! Do your best to deliver everything

Danny1987

Hello,

I see that you left this comment about 3 months ago so I hope you've already worked out the issue with success. But honestly, simply wip out your GPS on your phone. "Google Maps" or an app called "Here" available in the Play Store. In my recent orientation at UPS I asked if we could use our GPS and the answer was yes. The 10 to 15 seconds it takes to type in the address is much less time that it would take driving back and forth looking all over for an address. I used to deliver pizzas and for each delivery I simply typed in the address like the other drivers did, and it takes you right to the door :chaseups:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I see that you left this comment about 3 months ago so I hope you've already worked out the issue with success. But honestly, simply wip out your GPS on your phone. "Google Maps" or an app called "Here" available in the Play Store. In my recent orientation at UPS I asked if we could use our GPS and the answer was yes. The 10 to 15 seconds it takes to type in the address is much less time that it would take driving back and forth looking all over for an address. I used to deliver pizzas and for each delivery I simply typed in the address like the other drivers did, and it takes you right to the door :chaseups:

Let's assume that you have 100 stops and that it takes you 15 seconds to enter each address in to your phone. 60/15 = 4 addresses per minute. 100/4 = 25 minutes (of wasted time) that you would spend in total entering addresses in to your phone.

Danny1987

Let's assume that you have 100 stops and that it takes you 15 seconds to enter each address in to your phone. 60/15 = 4 addresses per minute. 100/4 = 25 minutes (of wasted time) that you would spend in total entering addresses in to your phone.
Yes I hear you.
But if you're driving around spending 30 seconds two maybe a minute and a half looking for an address multiply that times 100 stops and it would be much more than 25 minutes.

As a newbie driver off the street working in an area that you are not familiar with I think it would be wise to use your GPS until you don't need your GPS any longer which hopefully is soon.

And I also wouldn't recommend using your GPS on every delivery on the same street, simply use it as needed :thumbsup:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes I hear you.
But if you're driving around spending 30 seconds two maybe a minute and a half looking for an address multiply that times 100 stops and it would be much more than 25 minutes.

As a newbie driver off the street working in an area that you are not familiar with I think it would be wise to use your GPS until you don't need your GPS any longer which hopefully is soon.

And I also wouldn't recommend using your GPS on every delivery on the same street, simply use it as needed :thumbsup:
You will learn much quicker looking at a map.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thats the goal. To learn the area so you don't need a map or GPS. GPS is a useful tool but it can become a crutch.
Gps simply doesn't allow you to see a large enough area to learn stuff well.

You should be able to look at a map and line out your next 5-15 stops depending on how tight the area is.

On rural routes I take 10-15 minutes and make a dry eraser mark where each stop is on the map.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
This debate rages on every day in our center. It seems to be an age-related thing. The over 45s look at GPS as either alien technology or useless while the under 45s will use them when needed.

MC0493

I know this is a never ending argument, but i still say the phone is better. I use it for a map, maps are downloaded to my phone so they work whether i have service or not. I do exactly what @Brownslave688 said, look at the map on the phone to map out the next street or two, or next few stops. I'd say it's faster since you don't have to get your bearing and if needed you can just type in a street rather than hunting around for it.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you need to check your maps every few stops (whether or not its a phone) you are taking too long. Its OK for when you are learning a new area but you should get to the point where its all in your head and you seldom need to look at a map.

I know this is a never ending argument, but i still say the phone is better. I use it for a map, maps are downloaded to my phone so they work whether i have service or not. I do exactly what @Brownslave688 said, look at the map on the phone to map out the next street or two, or next few stops. I'd say it's faster since you don't have to get your bearing and if needed you can just type in a street rather than hunting around for it.
You only use the GPS if you really can't find something. That's not the way to learn an area.