Hired off the street

By The Book

Nope. I just get tired of those people who say that anyone hired off the street has been given a gift.

I wasn't given anything. I was hired, in part, because I am a vet, and I have earned every penny that I have made ever since.
You were first hired due to the fact your center needed a driver and because of the contracts hiring ratio. They didn't hire you by circumventing the contract. Your being a vet is just a bonus. Thank you for your service!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Don't worry too much. You have to remember most people don't go online to talk about how much they love their job. You're always going to see the worst of what happens here, and it's a massive company. Every building is different, everyone has different circumstances. Am I saying you're going to hop on the vehicle and fall in love with the job? Probably not, especially the first few days But it's a job that pays well and gives you excellent benefits.

Stay focused, work hard, ask questions, and you'll be fine.

minttoast

Don't worry too much. You have to remember most people don't go online to talk about how much they love their job. You're always going to see the worst of what happens here, and it's a massive company. Every building is different, everyone has different circumstances. Am I saying you're going to hop on the vehicle and fall in love with the job? Probably not, especially the first few days But it's a job that pays well and gives you excellent benefits.

Stay focused, work hard, ask questions, and you'll be fine.
Thanks for that. I am in retail now, I work 65-80 hour weeks salary, and constantly see retail stores close left any right. I've worked my butt off to get to where I am, but like I said I have 3 kids and worrying about not having a job, especially one with no pension, I pay $300 a month for benefits, etc. Is not for me anymore.

I have always been a very fast learner, and extremely hard worker (to much pride not be). I plan on busting my tail off to make a good impression.

My only worry is I know what hub I'm going to buy not a clue about anything else, no idea what routes there are, if they have a training route, etc. I guess only time will tell how this decision works out.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies, definitely helps me out!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Thanks for that. I am in retail now, I work 65-80 hour weeks salary, and constantly see retail stores close left any right. I've worked my butt off to get to where I am, but like I said I have 3 kids and worrying about not having a job, especially one with no pension, I pay $300 a month for benefits, etc. Is not for me anymore.

I have always been a very fast learner, and extremely hard worker (to much pride not be). I plan on busting my tail off to make a good impression.

My only worry is I know what hub I'm going to buy not a clue about anything else, no idea what routes there are, if they have a training route, etc. I guess only time will tell how this decision works out.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies, definitely helps me out!
Bust your butt, but don't rush. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it's not. When you rush, you make mistakes. And seriously, don't be afraid to ask questions. You're completely new to UPS, there is a lot you have to learn. Driver school doesn't give you enough info to do well immediately.

As for the route side of it, everybody has been there. Nobody starts Day 1 and knows the routes by heart. It just doesn't happen. Pay attention on your ride along day. Maybe even ask for a dispatch on that route and drive it on your personal time if you're really worried. Once you qualify you're set, just getting over the hump is the hardest part. Everybody FT driver has been there before, don't stress too much.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Bust your butt, but don't rush. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it's not. When you rush, you make mistakes. And seriously, don't be afraid to ask questions. You're completely new to UPS, there is a lot you have to learn. Driver school doesn't give you enough info to do well immediately.

As for the route side of it, everybody has been there. Nobody starts Day 1 and knows the routes by heart. It just doesn't happen. Pay attention on your ride along day. Maybe even ask for a dispatch on that route and drive it on your personal time if you're really worried. Once you qualify you're set, just getting over the hump is the hardest part. Everybody FT driver has been there before, don't stress too much.
Thank you ol wise yoda

DOK

So I am a little worried I might have made a bad decision. I have someone who is 30+ years seniority getting me in as a full time driver. Already passed the driving test, did the precourse work, and started training.

So the decision I made was to quit my full time job (a job I absolutely hated, a terrible career, but made a decent salary). I made that decision after talking with my friend who got me in, and another family friend who is 30+ years in as well. They said the center I am going to is in desperate need for ft drivers. With all of that I felt pretty secure in my decision, even with the pay cut I am taking to start.

Well now I have found this website, and everything I read about being hired off the street as a driver seems like I am going to get brought on, and then not be able to stick around, or just be kept seasonal or something like that. I consider myself a very hard worked, and really fast learner. You guys have me worried now!

I guess my question is....did I just make a terrible decision for me and my family?
It's different in every building. You might be getting hired off the street and stepping into a fulltime permanent position. You can ask hr to confirm this.

El Correcto

god is dead
Show up to work an hour early your first day. Walk up and down the belts where package cars are being loaded. Write down the names of all the sups you see working. Give them to the union rep to grieve you sign as a witness. You need to establish dominance on your first day, welcome to Alcatraz.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I think it's bull that some people get hired off the street...not saying they can't be good drivers but everyone should have to go through being a preload or twilight employee...chit pigs

BrownArmy

I was an off-street hire, and I'll easily admit I was in the right place at the right time (after applying unsuccessfully on and off for a decade).

But, I had ten years of truck driving experience when I did get hired. I went to the week-long UPS driving class, and a month later I actually started.

Haven't stopped working since.

It's true, this job isn't for everyone, but it's not rocket-surgery, and if you have a can-do attitude you can make it work.

Oh, and if you can acclimate to the physical nature of the job...not everyone can. If you're not used to the sheer physicality of this particular work, the learning curve is steep.

But, after not too long, you'll be busting 350lbs on a hand-truck up a curb like you're a boss.

(Physics is your friend).

Like Upstate says, work smarter, not harder...[emoji6]

KOG72

I’m full of it
The guy right behind me in our driver group was hired off the street,good guy but I believe I would be a little pissed if he was ahead of me after all my time in the building.