Hiring a small female for package handler

Joeegrant

I scheduled an appointment for the tour/interview. I am 5'1" and 115lbs. I know the job is fast paced and physical, but I believe I have the endurance and am very able to withstand the conditions. I'm just afraid they won't send me through because they may have one look at my height and frame and too quickly judge. Does anyone have experience with the hiring of package handlers?

BigBeef42

Ur a "token" for the company. I'm sure you'll get the job. And it sounds like you have a good attitude ... they love that.

Sent using BrownCafe App

HBGPreloader

We've had several petite women work preload and they actually did better than some of the guys.
There are also a few positions that are less strenuous that may be better suited for you.

Joeegrant

Thanks for the optimism! Does anyone know if the tour/interview is the same throughout all locations? I was reading and it seems some places did the interviews the same day then others it took another day or two.

HBGPreloader

At our hub, it really depends on how desperate they are for bodies. When I went through the hiring process, I did the tour, interview and was hired the same morning.
The whole process took about 3 - 4 hours. It would have been shorter, but they were having some issues with my background check.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I'm probably going to catch flak over this, but in my observations over almost 40 years at this company. I have concluded that females, especially petite females have a hard time with the jobs this company requires physically. When I started the max was 50 lbs/package. What is it now? 150? Sorry, I should know that, but it doesn't affect us a lot in feeders. That being said, there seem to be a lot of injuries, including serious, career endangering ones among the employees now, especially the female species. Personally, it doesn't matter to me. I say equal pay, equal work. Knock yourself out. Would I encourage my 115lb daughter to do this job? Probably not. Best of luck to you.

oldngray

nowhere special
Small people whether male or female had little trouble with packages under 70 pounds but with the heavy packages up to 150 now small people usually just don't have enough butt on them to move around the really heavy stuff. They can get help but in the real world they would have to do it by themselves much of the time.

Small people whether male or female had little trouble with packages under 70 pounds but with the heavy packages up to 150 now small people usually just don't have enough butt on them to move around the really heavy stuff. They can get help but in the real world they would have to do it by themselves much of the time.

That's why it's in the contract that one can seek union help in moving said 150 boxes.

And for the OP, just go in and do your best. I knew a lady back in PC that was about your size and she had an industrial route and even ran it through two trimesters of pregnancy. These big tough guys on here are probably weaker pound for pound than you are so don't worry about what they say.

J

jibbs

Maaaaaaan, if I'm 130lbs and can get a 180lb irreg in the truck myself, those muh friend*ers better be able to get <70lbs in theirs solo.

That said, if I can't wrap my arms around an over 70 I'm asking for help, every time. If I can't get help then it just floats on by to the end of the belt and gets recycled through the system eventually.

Derekkka, you should be fine. Getting hired won't be the problem, most people get hung up on holding onto their desire to keep the job... they got their foot in the door no problem, though, big and small alike.

Box Ox

Go for it. Women tend to do a great job and management can't expect you to be loading Weber grills , pallet crates and manhole covers without any help. I'm a strong 200+ and wouldn't even try to load anything heavier than myself.

You'll probably need help with the heavier stuff but management will probably note that you're very diligent in your work and your load quality will probably be excellent. They'd probably be glad to have you in another area handling smaller stuff after they hire a larger piece of meat like myself behind you to take over your routes.

raceanoncr

With your attitude, you'll do just fine. When I was in package car (about 127 years ago), we had lots of "petite" ladies working pre-load that could kick ass. In fact, I would request them to load my car if possible.

Good luck.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
With your attitude, you'll do just fine. When I was in package car (about 127 years ago), we had lots of "petite" ladies working pre-load that could kick ass. In fact, I would request them to load my car if possible.

Good luck.

I had a helper about 15 years ago that was probably the hardest worker I ever saw. She really wanted to stay on and load after peak. Bosses said no, she's too small (maybe 95 pounds soaking wet).

They gave her a chance, and she's probably the best loader in the building.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
At my building, there's a gal who's about 5'1 and 115 lbs. that runs marathons (qualified for the Olympic trials) and is arguably the best driver in the building. 160 stops, 20 pickups, done by 5:30. And that's because she has a 5 o'clock pickup and she's 15 minutes from the hub. She did the pt thing too plus driving is a mother :censored2:er. She pulls it off and so can you. Forget all this job more suited to you business and go out and do what you do. Good luck!