Droosies

I just got back from my first interview for PT package handler (preload). It was scheduled for 5:15 AM. There were 3 people ahead of me, and each took about 30-45 minutes to interview. I didn't get in until 5:50. 10 minutes later, my interview was over. The subject of my felony conviction was brought up almost immediately. I read online that UPS was friendly towards felons, and I figured that since I pled guilty and didn't do any jail time, I'd have an even easier time. Was I given the brushoff? I did receive a lot of the time tested "go away" responses such as "we're taking applications" and "we'll give you a call if something opens up". Also, are there some convictions that UPS wouldn't touch? Thanks for any responses.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With more applicants than job openings many companies, including UPS, can be much more selective during the hiring process and, yes, your conviction may very well hold you back.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I read online that UPS was friendly towards felons
Might I ask where on line you read something crazy like that?

When employed at UPS, you must be bonded. As a former felon, that becomes a problem.

Dont get me wrong, helping out someone that got caught, did time, and has turned over a new leaf is a lot better than hiring someone that does the same things, and just has never been caught.

d

Agree with Danny. The nature of the felony could be a deal breaker also. I would think they frown more on a felony theft than a felony drug conviction. Mind you, this is only speculation.

Danny, I thought that the bonding that UPS does was internal, self bonding. If that is the case, they can tweak who does and who doesn't qualify.
I have read on this very board in the past where people with felony convictions were indeed working on the pre-load.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tpl

What is posted on this board needs to be taken with 2 aspirin and a motrin extra strength. While there is a lot of good stuff, there are those that thrive on spreading misinformation.

I understand UPS to be self bonded as well, just as they are self insured. But there are general rules that must be followed to be able to have an employee bonded that must be followed by all bonding companies.

And I do believe you are correct to the position that not all felonies are judged equally. But over all, if you are a convicted felon, the process of getting on at UPS will be an up hill battle, if not impossible, especially if there is a body pool to select from that has clean records.

d

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
When hired I was told that the company under no circumstances hires felons. I also understood that I was bonded upon becoming a driver rather than when hired pt inside.

When hired I was told that the company under no circumstances hires felons. I also understood that I was bonded upon becoming a driver rather than when hired pt inside.
I was to;d the same thing and was also told that under no circumstances would they hire immediate family, not even second cousins. I've seen father and son, husband and wife and other combination working in the same building.
I was told I was bonded when I started as a cleark, never handling packages.

Tpl

What is posted on this board needs to be taken with 2 aspirin and a motrin extra strength. While there is a lot of good stuff, there are those that thrive on spreading misinformation.

I understand UPS to be self bonded as well, just as they are self insured. But there are general rules that must be followed to be able to have an employee bonded that must be followed by all bonding companies.

And I do believe you are correct to the position that not all felonies are judged equally. But over all, if you are a convicted felon, the process of getting on at UPS will be an up hill battle, if not impossible, especially if there is a body pool to select from that has clean records.

d
Oh, trust me, I don't believe everything I read on here, but I don't disbelieve everything either. I was just saying that I had read it here, not that it was a fact.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
was also told that under no circumstances would they hire immediate family, not even second cousins. I've seen father and son, husband and wife and other combination working in the same building.
Policy changes as the times and needs change. We had several drivers wives work as helpers with their husbands over the last few years. But it was not that long ago, a driver married one of our clerks, and one of them had to quit. So policy does change, even when it is in writing (just one example for I)

The way I understand bonding, if you haul items interstate, then anyone working in your buildings, or handling the packages need to be bonded. So yes, clerks would be bonded.

d

Shryp

We used to have families working together at PTers in my hub. Some of them are still there, but they won't do it anymore. Because of the district changes last year the new policy is no family on the same shift, even if they are in different areas. I believe when I started the policy was no family in the same area as to not cause a disruption during a family emergency and having half the area not show up. It came up because someone I work with was trying to get his daughter in there.

As for the felony, maybe it has more to do with who is interviewing you and their impression of you. When I started, UPS made a big deal about how much it costs them to go through the process of hiring and training someone so I would think if the felony was a problem they would have cut you off at the first step. But, maybe they have to play along for legal reasons otherwise it can be claimed as discrimination if they flat out say no.

I am assuming you admitted to the felony on your application and didn't just get called out on it after the fact.

Droosies

Here are the things though.

1.) I was 17 when the crime occured. I'm now 31.

2.) I did not spend a day in jail. I plea bargained and got 3 years of probation.

3.) I have had no run-ins with the law since then.

Are these things not taken into consideration at all or is it just "Oh well, they have a felony, forget this guy."

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
The immediate family rule has changed at least twice in 10 years. They tend not to notify us. I just happened upon the new regs on upsers.com

Andorian440

If you were 17, I don't think it should matter so much, but that probably depends on how old you are now. Shouldn't your record have been sealed though, since you were a juvenile? If that's the case, I would not even tell them about it.
It may not pertain to you, but a big part of not being taken seriously in a job interview may be how you looked when you interviewed. If you dress like a gangster, people are going to assume that you're a gangster. You know what I mean.

Droosies

If you were 17, I don't think it should matter so much, but that probably depends on how old you are now. Shouldn't your record have been sealed though, since you were a juvenile? If that's the case, I would not even tell them about it.
It may not pertain to you, but a big part of not being taken seriously in a job interview may be how you looked when you interviewed. If you dress like a gangster, people are going to assume that you're a gangster. You know what I mean.

I was charged as an adult so it still shows up in background checks. Also, I didn't dressed as a gangster. I don't even own any "gangster clothes". I dressed for the job. Long-sleeve shirt, work pants, shoes, belt, combed hair, freshly shaven. I was up front with the charge, didn't deny it, admitted I was just a stupid kid and was trying to move on with my life.

The sad fact is that there are THOUSANDS of people in my situation. It doesn't matter what the offense is, but as soon as employers see that "Yes" box checked, it doesn't matter, the application goes into the garbage. I even explained to the interviewer that I was looking for a lifetime position. I understood that because of my situation, opportunities were going to be few and far between, so I was willing to do whatever was asked of me in order to become the best "whatever" I was. Seems to me that's a solid quality she wouldn't get with most people.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I was charged as an adult so it still shows up in background checks. Also, I didn't dressed as a gangster. I don't even own any "gangster clothes". I dressed for the job. Long-sleeve shirt, work pants, shoes, belt, combed hair, freshly shaven. I was up front with the charge, didn't deny it, admitted I was just a stupid kid and was trying to move on with my life.

The sad fact is that there are THOUSANDS of people in my situation. It doesn't matter what the offense is, but as soon as employers see that "Yes" box checked, it doesn't matter, the application goes into the garbage. I even explained to the interviewer that I was looking for a lifetime position. I understood that because of my situation, opportunities were going to be few and far between, so I was willing to do whatever was asked of me in order to become the best "whatever" I was. Seems to me that's a solid quality she wouldn't get with most people.

Unfortunately for you, UPS can and will be very particular about the people they hire. We do not sell a product. Our service is the only thing we have. Would you want a convicted felon responsible for several thousands of dollars of merchandise(not to mention the equipment costs) everyday with no immediate supervision? We are highly paid and highly trusted(by the customers) professionals, that UPS cannot afford to take unnecessary risks on.

All that being said, WE DO NOT HIRE CONVICTED FELONS, NO MATTER WHAT THE CHARGE OR HOW LONG AGO!!! SORRY!!!!!

curiousbrain

If you have an exceptional history (not sure what that is, since that is subjective) since your arrest/conviction, and you can make a proper case that you are trying to get on with your life, you may be able to go back to the district where the conviction took place, speak to a judge, and appeal for your record to be expunged.

It may be a long shot, but it is better then a no shot; also, it may cost a fair amount, as a lawyer may be necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonFrum

Might I ask where on line you read something crazy like that?

When employed at UPS, you must be bonded. As a former felon, that becomes a problem.

Dont get me wrong, helping out someone that got caught, did time, and has turned over a new leaf is a lot better than hiring someone that does the same things, and just has never been caught.

d
Really???

I've never heard of UPS drivers or inside workers being bonded.

Who is the Surety Company? How much is the bond?

Although UPS is self-insured for some things, it's illogical to be "self-bonded." Being self-insured means when UPS sustains a loss they simply "eat" the loss. But if they were self-bonded and and employee stole $50,000, UPS would have to pay itself $50,000 to make itself whole. That doesn't make sense.

Can anyone provide a link to UPS saying their hourly employees are bonded?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Jon

That is what was told me when several people that came to apply for a job were turned down. One case, simular to this guy. But in his case, he was 16 but still charged as an adult.

It is my understanding that anyone involved in the movement of interstate transport of goods has to be bonded. It is also my understanding that in many companies, the employees must pay for their bonding "insurance", which is really what it is. AT UPS, they pay for the employees to be bonded.

As for them being self bonded, they are self insured, why not self bonded?

d

Really???

I've never heard of UPS drivers or inside workers being bonded.

Who is the Surety Company? How much is the bond?

Although UPS is self-insured for some things, it's illogical to be "self-bonded." Being self-insured means when UPS sustains a loss they simply "eat" the loss. But if they were self-bonded and and employee stole $50,000, UPS would have to pay itself $50,000 to make itself whole. That doesn't make sense.

Can anyone provide a link to UPS saying their hourly employees are bonded?
Wouldn't they be paying the $50k to make the customers whole?