Hiring Process - Package Delivery Driver

Rojam

So I'm currently in the process of being hired (off the street) for a package delivery role. It was not advertised as a combo job but how do i know what the classification is? I was told i'd be starting off at $21.00 an hour and in an email with HR i saw 25.13 as a job code. I tried google searching it but found nothing. Figured i'd come here for help.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
So I'm currently in the process of being hired (off the street) for a package delivery role. It was not advertised as a combo job but how do i know what the classification is? I was told i'd be starting off at $21.00 an hour and in an email with HR i saw 25.13 as a job code. I tried google searching it but found nothing. Figured i'd come here for help.
@Rojam : By any chance are you in Illinois (outside the greater Chicago metro area), Indiana (outside of Indianapolis), or Quad Cities Iowa?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I thought so. I believe 25.13 is a reference to the Teamster Local 710/UPS contract. Their contract is separate/distinct from the rest of the country (as is the Chicago area contract). Anyway, IIRC, that is probably a reference to a 'combo' job, known to the rest of us as 22.4 (or even 22.3). Hopefully someone more familiar with L710 will see this thread and can elaborate.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

I thought so. I believe 25.13 is a reference to the Teamster Local 710/UPS contract. Their contract is separate/distinct from the rest of the country (as is the Chicago area contract). Anyway, IIRC, that is probably a reference to a 'combo' job, known to the rest of us as 22.4 (or even 22.3). Hopefully someone more familiar with L710 will see this thread and can elaborate.
@Rojam just to confirm what @hondo said, 25.13s are the 710 version of 22.4s.

There is almost no difference between the two.

You are going to be a Tuesday through Saturday guy.
(The bid sheets I've seen have all given the company the option to change this to Wednesday to Sunday as an alternative schedule, though we don't deliver on Sundays yet that I know of.)

The bad news is that our local doesn't publish our current contract online. I could get you a PDF with the 2013-2018 one, but that doesn't have the 25.13 stuff in it.

If you have specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Rojam

That helps a lot, i just wanted to know what i was looking at down the road. One of my supervisors while i was a PVD mentioned 22.4 so when the other guy brought up a 25.13 I got a little confused.

I'm still at the beginning stages of the process so not a lot of questions yet but glad to know this place exists.

Michael Scott

I am in 710 and we just started Saturday ground several months ago. The drivers getting hired in since then have been referred to as 25.13s. All are Tue-Sat. I dont know anything about their pay though.

Rojam

What should i expect from the hiring process? Its looking like i'll have my road test next week. I'm not too worried about that. I drove a stick about 8 years ago and I've driven larger vehicles (18 person shuttle bus / 26' uhaul with a car hitched to the back).

I'm assuming after the road test they'll send me for the physical/drug test and then I heard there is a remote program for training?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I don't use any substances outside of caffeine. I'm assuming its probably a 4-5 speed? What vary?

My car was
R-1-3-5
---2-4---
Spicer 5 speed shift pattern

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/d~AAAOSwUKxYmjBZ/s-l300.jpg=Api&friend=1
s-l300.jpg

First gear is not synchronized. Don't try to downshift to first while slowing down, keep it in second gear until truck is completely stopped. Then, with clutch pedal on the floor, quickly shift to first.

Last edited:

Steamer

To be honest. You probably won't make it. Most don't. You will want the money. But it's another thing to be able to think fast on your feet. Be safe; yet efficient. And really want to work for the money. A good days work for a good days wage. It takes some passion to really get this job. You're on your own all day long and have to push yourself. Good luck.

Rojam

It's probably not going to be a stick shift. Most of our trucks are automatics.
I knew they were phasing out manuals but figured they'd probably stick me in oldest thing they had to see how i handled it.

Was thinking about going to some dealerships this weekend to try to test drive a few manuals for practice.

Rojam

Passed my road test today, super simple. Was with a supervisor I knew during my PVD seasonal position. Found out our hub only has 1 manual truck and its used for air only.

Physical on Thursday. Looking forward to getting started!