Hiring process

HardknocksUPSer

Hey guys, I have a friend who has family that is a driver at the center I work at, his family member was the one who helped to get me my job on the preload, now that my friend is home from college he is too needing a job, I have communicated to management that he would be a good loader and that he would be on time and at work everyday since we would be carpooling. Anyhow the current trend at my center is people working less than a week and quiting. There has been many orientation tours with new groups of people but none have been hired, meanwhile my friend has filled out the app and it keeps saying "no orientation available at this time" but yet there has been multiple orientations going on. My question is, is this a first come first serve kind of deal? I'm assuming the people coming in for a tour are people who have applied a long time ago and have never gotten the chance to come because UPS did not need them at the time? I told him to wait it out and keep checking back on his application status daily.

HardknocksUPSer

Is your friend done with college or is he just on summer break?
He will be finishing up his last semester online due to the cost of housing on campus. When I first applied at UPS for the first time HR denied me and told me I could not work two jobs (even though they had no conflict of interest) on the second try after quiting my other job I was hired.

HardknocksUPSer

The key is to not let them know about your second job.

Keep bugging your sup and HR to get your friend an interview and/or orientation date.
I found that out too late! But I didn't want to falsify my employment history because I plan to my a full career of UPS, anyhow thanks, I will keep nagging them. The sups want him hired but our HR isn't the most friendly of cooperative. Thanks again.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It isn't always first come first serve. It all depends on if you fit the bill. Often times HR only sends people for a tour if they are on the border about them. I don't think I have given a tour to anybody that ever ended up getting hired. I never gave tours/interviewed any of the guys I have working for me now.

Just a heads up, I wouldn't ever put my neck out for a buddy in this job. If it doesn't work out you don't want to look bad over it. My brother asked if I could get him a job and I told him straight up to apply on his own. I knew he wouldn't make it and I wasn't going to look bad because he couldn't stick it out.

HardknocksUPSer

It isn't always first come first serve. It all depends on if you fit the bill. Often times HR only sends people for a tour if they are on the border about them. I don't think I have given a tour to anybody that ever ended up getting hired. I never gave tours/interviewed any of the guys I have working for me now.

Just a heads up, I wouldn't ever put my neck out for a buddy in this job. If it doesn't work out you don't want to look bad over it. My brother asked if I could get him a job and I told him straight up to apply on his own. I knew he wouldn't make it and I wasn't going to look bad because he couldn't stick it out.
Thanks for your insight on the subject, it's good to here from someone in management, if that's the case things may be looking up for him. As far as sticking my neck out for him, he's possibly one of the only people I would and can trust to stick my neck out for and still keep my reputation as being dependable, he's more like a family member than a friend and I know he will do well due to the fact that me and him work together outside of UPS and I know he can handle the physical aspect of it all, I will also be able to explain to him all of the techniques and ways to reduce misloads and ect, I gave him my papers to study from my 30 days of safety as a new hire so he's a step ahead. Thanks again for your insight appreciate it a lot.