Hit with a bombshell

nystripe96

Ok, so I don't get it. Supposedly first year hires are supposed to get 5 personal days, and 3 sick days. That's what I was told the day of the tour. Well, today I got my employee information packet, and it states I have to wait 1 year to get my five personal days, and 4 months till I am eligible for my first sick day. WTF!!! Is this true? Really, I don't get my 5 optional holidays first year of employement???? Also it says I get no paid holidays first year of employment either. I've hardly broken a sweat so far, and the nightmare has just begun I guess :(

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The thrift plan has not been around for quite some time.

New hires do not get any benefits for a year--18 months for family members. Delayed benefits are better than no benefits at all.

rod

Retired 22 years
So you've worked a few days and now you want some time off? Life is so cruel. All I can say is-- this will be only 1 of many disappointments when reality sets in. Wait til you get your first paycheck and see all the deductions. That one is always a kick in the rearend.

nystripe96

I never planned on taking those days anyway. Just the fact we were lied to on day one really sucks. Saying on the tour day we're getting paid holidays, personal days and sick days, only to find out we don't get any of them year one is a punch to the gut.

Robert91

Sorry, but you don't receive your benefits until twelve months into it. You will be pro-rated for your vacation after January. You also will be able to take advantage of the 401k after fives months and the discounted stock purchase plan at six months. At least that's how every worked for me.

It's worth it if your willing to put up with it all; I've been around since August of last year, so I've just got all my benefits. I'm very happy with it. I still have a few months until my wife will be covered, but its well worth it in my opinion.

Also, I take advantage of the tuition reimbursement program. If your at a location that offers it, you can start even before you make your thirty days, that is along as your still working there when you submit your grades.

JonFrum

Ok, so I don't get it. Supposedly first year hires are supposed to get 5 personal days, and 3 sick days. That's what I was told the day of the tour. Well, today I got my employee information packet, and it states I have to wait 1 year to get my five personal days, and 4 months till I am eligible for my first sick day. WTF!!! Is this true? Really, I don't get my 5 optional holidays first year of employement???? Also it says I get no paid holidays first year of employment either. I've hardly broken a sweat so far, and the nightmare has just begun I guess :(
Reading the Contract may help.

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 7. Benefit Entitlements
Part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 will receive holidays, personal days and option days provided by any applicable Supplement, Rider, or Addendum no earlier than after one (1) year of active employment. This provision supersedes any provision on the same subject in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum to the extent the provision makes holidays, personal days or option days available earlier than after one (1) year of service.

ARTICLE 34. HEALTH & WELFARE AND PENSION
Section 2. Part-Time Medical Coverage [for those part-timers covered by the Company-sponsored nationwide health care plan called the UPS National Health Plan for Part-time Employees, rather than a Teamsters-sponsored plan].
(b) Notwithstanding Section 1(d) above or any contrary provision in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum, (i) individual health coverage will be made available to part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 after twelve (12) months of active employment and (ii) spousal or dependant coverage will be made available to these part-time employees eighteen (18) months after their initial date of employment.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The thrift plan has not been around for quite some time.

New hires do not get any benefits for a year--18 months for family members. Delayed benefits are better than no benefits at all.

Part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 will receive holidays, personal days and option days provided by any applicable Supplement, Rider, or Addendum no earlier than after one (1) year of active employment. This provision supersedes any provision on the same subject in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum to the extent the provision makes holidays, personal days or option days available earlier than after one (1) year of service.

Section 2. Part-Time Medical Coverage [for those part-timers covered by the Company-sponsored nationwide health care plan called the UPS National Health Plan for Part-time Employees, rather than a Teamsters-sponsored plan].
(b) Notwithstanding Section 1(d) above or any contrary provision in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum, (i) individual health coverage will be made available to part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 after twelve (12) months of active employment and (ii) spousal or dependant coverage will be made available to these part-time employees eighteen (18) months after their initial date of employment.

Stop spreading misinformation. SOME areas that is true, not all. Mr. Perfect continues to slip.

As Jon said, reading the contract may help.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As Jon said, reading the contract may help.

Yes Mr. Perfect, reading the contract does "help".

Have a perfect day.

Indecisi0n

Are you @$@#$ing kidding me!?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
For some areas the wait is 6 months for self benefits, not a year. I am not sure if this will happen with you, but I also had sick days after 6 months. Maybe I had a guardian angel, or maybe it just depends on your location.
...for those that join BC and search for information on WHEN YOU RECIEVE BENEFITS...

it is not one full year for all employees,

only employees who are hired into the UPS health and benefits plan.