Holiday Pay Requirements for PT Package Handlers

deemoni

You had me at "Hello World!"
I just was wanted to clarify in order to get paid for the holiday (christmas eve and christmas or new years eve and new years), you have to be there the day before and day after or either one? When I first started working as a Package Handler in 2008, the supervisors always told me both days you have to be there. But once I started getting informed by these in the union, my steward told me that that I have to be there either one of the days.

deemoni

You had me at "Hello World!"
Since my union steward said different, justin is wrong. I went to work today, jeff, this is about my pay for christmas because i missed a day since i was traveling to see my family.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Since my union steward said different, justin is wrong. I went to work today, jeff, this is about my pay for christmas because i missed a day since i was traveling to see my family.

Actually, Justin is right---unless you take a scheduled day off you may forfeit your holiday pay if you call in on either the day before or day after.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

to be paid for Christmas, you had to be there Christmas eve. Justin is correct about New years

I should add that your center manager does have the final say as to whether you get paid for the holiday(s)---if he feels your absence was justified you will get the holiday pay.

We had a driver call in sick Thursday and Friday this week---his route sat on Thursday as there was simply no one to run it---they called in a 22.3 to run it Friday---he was slammed and was told to do what he could but to be safe about it. I will be curious to see whether the driver gets paid for the holiday(s).

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Actually, Justin is right---unless you take a scheduled day off you may forfeit your holiday pay if you call in on either the day before or day after.
Actually, it depends on the fiefdom you work out of. In my local, you have to report the day before OR the day after to be paid for the holiday.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
where can i find the contract for my union, im in the local 705.

Go to 1645 W. Jackson Blvd (Chicago IL 60612), 7th floor. You want the "cage" window off to the side, not the office you'll first see when you get off the elevator. Easy access from I290 (the "Eisenhower/Ike/Congress" expressway Ashland/Paulina exits (depending on which way you're headed), free parking by the Auditorium building on VanBuren; or the CTA Blue line "Il Medical Center" stop (Paulina St entrance/exit)

The L705 language is (paraphrased): only need to work your scheduled day before or after the holiday to be paid.
  • Christmas Eve not a paid holiday
  • Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day are paid holidays

Norma

In the New England Supplement you only have to work one day of the holiday week to be paid for it.

I remember back in 1990 when they gathered me into a room with higher ups and told me my co-workers didn't know what they were talking about. They didn't know what they were getting paid for, and I shouldn't be paid for a holiday.

I called the union the next day (midnight shift) and got my holiday pay.

It's a lesson I've never forgotten.