Holiday Pay

yalpa84

How does Holiday Pay work? Particularly the day after Thanksgiving? What does Holiday Pay mean?

Also, in the contract, Friday is listed as a holiday. However the UPS calendar does not list it as a Holiday.

browner89

Holiday pay is straight time, for either 4 or 8 hours depending if PT or FT, you only receive this starting one year after your seniority date.

Depending on your local contract, if you work on a Holiday (in my local, Sundays receive the same benefit), you may also receive 1.5x or 2x your normal pay rate for hours worked.

In my particular local, on a day like Black Friday ( "the day after thanksgiving" in the contract):

"Section 2:
All time worked in job classifications subject to hourly rates and worked on Sundays or holidays shall be paid at double (2) time in addition to the holiday pay, except in the case of any employee whose regular work period starts on a Sunday or holiday evening or - 219 - ends on a Sunday or holiday morning"

The best answer is to find your local supplement and look up your Holidays. Shortly after your holidays are listed you should see how your local union will handle those holidays and their pay rates. From what I've seen, most are at least time and a half, and many are double. But some are still straight rate.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How does Holiday Pay work?

You get paid for the holiday if you have been here at least 1 year for all contractual holidays.

Particularly the day after Thanksgiving?

You get holiday pay if you have been here at least 1 year for this day.

What does Holiday Pay mean?

It means you get holiday pay if you have been here at least 1 year. 4 hours PT, 8 hours FT.

Also, in the contract, Friday is listed as a holiday.

Yes.

However the UPS calendar does not list it as a Holiday.

No.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Thanks for the help guys.

UPS changed Friday after Thanksgiving last year. It used to be a scheduled holiday on the calendar. They delivered air packages only and asked for volunteers to work. Now it is a scheduled work day with everyone being "forced" to work.

Forced is in quotes because they cannot "force" you to do anything.

It is still a paid holiday in the contract, so you get your holiday pay plus your pay for working this day.

There are, I believe, 2 local agreements that cannot force you to work this day. Volunteers only.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS changed Friday after Thanksgiving last year. It used to be a scheduled holiday on the calendar. They delivered air packages only and asked for volunteers to work. Now it is a scheduled work day with everyone being "forced" to work.

Forced is in quotes because they cannot "force" you to do anything.

It is still a paid holiday in the contract, so you get your holiday pay plus your pay for working this day.

There are, I believe, 2 local agreements that cannot force you to work this day. Volunteers only.

Locals 177 and 804.

JL 0513

So on a working holiday such as Black Friday, we got 8 hrs plus time and a half (in my local) for working hrs. Some locals actually pay double time for hrs worked. It's a $700-$1,000 easy day. Barely any p/u's, no commits. You have to have a damn good reason not to want to work it. There's several seniority guys in my center that take all of these easy big money days off but are always on the hard days at straight pay.

UPSER110

So on a working holiday such as Black Friday, we got 8 hrs plus time and a half (in my local) for working hrs. Some locals actually pay double time for hrs worked. It's a $700-$1,000 easy day. Barely any p/u's, no commits. You have to have a damn good reason not to want to work it. There's several seniority guys in my center that take all of these easy big money days off but are always on the hard days at straight pay.

I would love to have so much money I wouldn't want to work an easy day like that lol... I had 65 stops 260 miles and punched out at 2045. 11 hours at time and a half plus 8 hrs holiday pay, I'll take it. Cant wait till I am at top rate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would love to have so much money I wouldn't want to work an easy day like that lol... I had 65 stops 260 miles and punched out at 2045. 11 hours at time and a half plus 8 hrs holiday pay, I'll take it. Cant wait till I am at top rate.

It's not the money. It's about spending quality time with your family.

I was on vacation this past week but had I not been I would have been working both Friday and Saturday (today).

I'm pretty sure it was straight time for hours worked (plus holiday pay).

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Worked 10 hours at time and a half barely broke a sweat. Passed people going home in their Browns and just shook my head..... IDIOTS They told you to be there a 9 Demand Your 8 at least

Sounds like you got the hell beat out of you. How many miles on washboard roads? Did you lose any fillings?

JL 0513

I was on vacation this past week but had I not been I would have been working both Friday and Saturday (today).

It's a working Holiday now, so it is indeed time and a half or double rate depending on local. Even checked my time card on UPSers.com and the time card lists Friday as "legal holiday". Also checked my stub from last year and was paid overtime rate + 8 hrs.

The family time is nice but if you're not actually traveling on Black Friday, take a straight pay day off to spend that time with the family and earn more for your family on a stress free day.

Oh, and traffic was so much cleaner Friday (unless your route is around a mall area). It was smooth sailing all day.

jaker

trolling
It's not hard , I pick my family over money

If you do your money right then days like this are not a big deal , but being with the family is

UPSER110

It's not hard , I pick my family over money

If you do your money right then days like this are not a big deal , but being with the family is

No kids, no wife. Thanksgiving spent with my parents, sister and brother in law.

UPSER110

Sounds like you got the hell beat out of you. How many miles on washboard roads? Did you lose any fillings?

Thats actually alot of work for that route and there are some crappy roads, but its so easy just driving all day. One day I drove 22 miles between stops.

No1b4Me

I know i will get paid for thursday and friday. At airhub i work at. Because i will show up tuesday for work. 22 bucks an hour .also overtime starts next week... plus great insurance...