holiday surepost

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Delivering today I was seeing a TON of our packages delivered by the post office...like way more than I was delivering. I was thinking maybe all the sure post they would have routed to us on the holiday was given to the post office the next day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Delivering today I was seeing a TON of our packages delivered by the post office...like way more than I was delivering. I was thinking maybe all the sure post they would have routed to us on the holiday was given to the post office the next day.

​Makes sense.
Unintended consequences.

You mean the shipper would never do that?

​Shippers don't care.
no......I meant what I said. If a shipper uses surepost thats their option. But if I have a delivery to the same address or an address close by, we are supposed to deliver it.......All that im saying is, UPS might be will to (sneak) a few extra packages to the Postoffice to screw us! Full time job elimination is their goal!..................Wonder why we wont ratify this (con)tract??

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My thinking behind this was that with the way they were so gung ho about limiting the people working on the holiday because of holiday pay... They usually route us surepost to deliver if we'll be nearby but maybe they didnt divert any to us to save money and held it all until the next day.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I expected surepost to be heavy on tuesday after the holiday but yesterday it was still double the volume....I hate surepost.

kingOFchester

We may all hate surepost, however, I am seeing a lot more Amazon packages sitting on steps with a post office label. Not Surepost. Makes sense, if I was the post office and or Amazon, I would bypass surepost and make a deal to eliminate the middleman.

I am also seeing a lot of Amazon packages being delivered by A1. They are a small same day delivery service in the Philadelphia area and other major cities across the US. Amazon is not going to continue to pay our rates if they can save money and get the same service. With the obsession of Orion, seems service is not the up most importance. Can't charge top rate and give 2nd class service. Also, Amazon is going to keep as much of the $'s as they can. As they grow, their ability to keep everything in house will continue to grow as well.

In a perfect world, UPS would go into the internet sales business to take over Amazon.

worldwide

In a perfect world, UPS would go into the internet sales business to take over Amazon.

It may be the other way around...Amazon has a market cap of $141B to UPS' $86B. Amazon has more cash on hand, $7.4B, to UPS' $6.2B. UPS is more profitable but Amazon has operated for years on razor-thin margins and continutes to grow. Their largest expense is logisitcs and shipping so a tie-up with UPS or FedEx is not far fetched. FedEx probably makes more sense since they are non-union and both Amazon and FedEx are not know for being union friendly.

If (when) this happens, imagine the job losses at UPS when the volume shifts to Fedex Ground and SmartPost. Amazon must be one of UPS's largest clinets so any kind of purchase/strategic relationship with FedEx would be devastating.

Customers are willing to wait a few extra days for their shipment to arrive and do without all the bells and whistles of full tracking if it means free shipping. UPS is simply responding to market conditions and what their customers (i.e. Amazon) are telling them they need - lower rates for shipping.

TheDick

What drives me nuts is the customer givin you the stink eye and ear-full aboot his pkg arriving aday late, to the neighbors porch when i know for a fact it was a surepost!