Honeymoon going strong

chargerlou

Left fedex to join ups been here almost 2 years now the same problems exist here as they did with fedex however the pay is too good ! I was lucky one only on preload a few months made full time in 5 months as driver so far I like it here there is more work like 2x what I did at express
but it's all good I love my full time insurance benefits best I ever had besides when I was in army . It's hard work but rewarding I'm sure lots of u gonna pick these comments and say I'm an ass kisser but I'm not there are many days I wish I could say take this job and shove it! But you know for everyone of me there are at least 20 that want my job. Anyways I do wish I win the lotto so I can tell them to take this job and shove it but in the mean time I'm ok here !

J

jibbs

Point being, I don't think there's a sentence structure that exists in English where a semi-colon is the only appropriate punctuation to use. Semi-colons are pretty much only good for showing a little diversity amongst your punctuation when you've got a :censored2: ton of legitimate commas throughout your writing (this is an OPINION, by the way, not trying to tote it as a fact).

I'd actually love an example of when a semi-colon would be the only appropriate way to punctuate a sample of writing, if you can think of one, bbsam.

Also, I think that TheOatmeal site is the same one where I found my absolute favorite english language-related idiom: "If you put an 'A' in 'definitely,' then you're definitely an A-hole." xD

oldupsman

Left fedex to join ups been here almost 2 years now the same problems exist here as they did with fedex however the pay is too good ! I was lucky one only on preload a few months made full time in 5 months as driver so far I like it here there is more work like 2x what I did at express
but it's all good I love my full time insurance benefits best I ever had besides when I was in army . It's hard work but rewarding I'm sure lots of u gonna pick these comments and say I'm an ass kisser but I'm not there are many days I wish I could say take this job and shove it! But you know for everyone of me there are at least 20 that want my job. Anyways I do wish I win the lotto so I can tell them to take this job and shove it but in the mean time I'm ok here !

Glad it all worked out for you. You're right. If you gotta deliver packages it's better to do it at UPS than FedEx simply
because of the pay and benefits. I didn't love my job. But if you put in your time like I did, in the end it's worth it.

bbsam

Staff member
Point being, I don't think there's a sentence structure that exists in English where a semi-colon is the only appropriate punctuation to use. Semi-colons are pretty much only good for showing a little diversity amongst your punctuation when you've got a :censored2: ton of legitimate commas throughout your writing (this is an OPINION, by the way, not trying to tote it as a fact).

I'd actually love an example of when a semi-colon would be the only appropriate way to punctuate a sample of writing, if you can think of one, bbsam.

Also, I think that TheOatmeal site is the same one where I found my absolute favorite english language-related idiom: "If you put an 'A' in 'definitely,' then you're definitely an A-hole." xD
Lol. I wouldn't have the first idea when to use a semicolon in anything I write. Sometimes I wonder if I should use one but commas seem ok to me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't get the point of this thread...did you think anyone on here was legitimately concerned about how your job is going? Isn't that what twitter is for? And by "almost 2 years"...you mean barely a year and a half, right? Okay then...lol
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/i-bleed-brown-now.352474/

oldngray

nowhere special
There is seldom a situation where you have to use a semicolon. In my opinion it would be better to break up a long sentence with periods for easier readability. Some types of writing do need semicolons but seldom for forum posts.

J

jibbs

There is seldom a situation where you have to use a semicolon. In my opinion it would be better to break up a long sentence with periods for easier readability. Some types of writing do need semicolons but seldom for forum posts.

Hit me with an example, old man!

I swear, I can't for the life of me think of a sentence where I'd have to use a semi-colon because no other syntax or punctuation would do.

It's easy to make a sentence where a semi-colon is appropriate, it's just... idk, it's a lofty punctuation, I guess. The sonovabitch thinks it can just jump in and take other marks' places. It's basically the letter X of the punctuation world, you know?

oldngray

nowhere special
Hit me with an example, old man!

I swear, I can't for the life of me think of a sentence where I'd have to use a semi-colon because no other syntax or punctuation would do.

It's easy to make a sentence where a semi-colon is appropriate, it's just... idk, it's a lofty punctuation, I guess. The sonovabitch thinks it can just jump in and take other marks' places. It's basically the letter X of the punctuation world, you know?

A research or scientific paper with multiple clauses explaining something would be an example where semicolons would be useful and appropriate. You might have a colon breaking up a statement then use semicolons for the subclauses.

J

jibbs

Ahh.

Science.

Enemy of language arts. Different writing styles. APA and MLA.

I really, really hated MLA. You're right, though. They'd only be necessary if commas were already present in one of those scientific paper lists, but yeah.... yeah, you're right....

k, let's get this thread back on track.