Hope everyone gets it now

SameRightsForAll

That was a leg I was standing on myself. I researched the '97 strike in-depth, hoping that there was a precedent set then that contradicted what happened this time around and contradicted the constitution in general. It didn't happen. Nothing was ever put to the vote in '97. UPS made a "last, best, and final" offer to the negotiating committee because they weren't making any headway on something that the negotiating committee would be willing to put to the vote, and Carey didn't want to put that offer to the vote, either. They just went on strike very suddenly on August 4th, 3 days after the contract expired (the strike didn't happen on August 1st at midnight because they agreed on an extension). So that leg was taken out from under me.

See, what's funny is that some high veteran employees at the hub I work at even mis-remember there being other offers being put to the vote and being rejected, and that there was a first, second, and then a third and final offer. Perhaps it's really just mis-remembering. Perhaps it's the Mandela Effect in action. Who knows.

Requiring 2/3rd no vote under 50% participation when two thirds of the voters are non-voting part-timers should make everyone realize our situation. Why didn't either side advertise this, they just forgot about that little detail? Why do you think it was put in the constitution in the first place (decades ago). The writing is on the wall.

The difference in 1997 and 2018 is that in 1997 nobody was under the table polishing UPS's schlong on behalf of the whole union.

mikejonesjr

Wrong. 8 bux an hour in 1993 is closer to $14.
Not wrong. Im not sure when the rule came about, but if it were '93 and employees started $8.50 thats just under $15 hour today and they received benefits right away. I understand expecting them to vote. They werent expecting temp workers making minimum wage to vote like today.

badpal

No PT in 1938. I think it was the early 1960's when the IBT agreed to PT workers. PT made the same wages and benefits as FT. Good deal for the Union as they doubled and tripled their monthly dues money.
Wasnt it the 82 contract when the part timers got sold out? At least that time we got a signing bonus for doing it.