Hot! How many routes did your building cut?

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Yesterday was close to 100 with a dew point around 74, that is hot. And for this area, the northeast, it very hot.

So as they give us a 16 oz bottle of warm water, and a PCM about staying hydrated they some how didn't mention that they cut 4 routes and are sending half the building out over 10 and some over 11.

Then they wonder why when they say UPS cares about safety first no one takes them serious.

If any supervisors or anyone up the line ever read this I would like to say one thing, Actions speak louder then words. And UPS your actions are not about safety.

Sorry for my mini rant, please enjoy your weekend.

Upsmule

I worked 11 and I was fine in the heat index of 105. I think the key was that I went out with 63 stops but who's counting.

As a "runner gunner" I was slapped with 240 stops. I still punched out at 4:00pm and thanked them for paying me time and a half until 8:00 last night.

On Thursday...we had a driver make it back to the building, punch out, sit at a desk to put his head down in the A/C, only to fall out 30 seconds later and faint. Cranked his head on the floor, had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. "Have a safe day!"

kingOFchester

As a "runner gunner" I was slapped with 240 stops. I still punched out at 4:00pm and thanked them for paying me time and a half until 8:00 last night.

On Thursday...we had a driver make it back to the building, punch out, sit at a desk to put his head down in the A/C, only to fall out 30 seconds later and faint. Cranked his head on the floor, had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. "Have a safe day!"

My days of running and gunning are over. Haven't ran since peak. I will hustle at times during air's to get grounds off if I can swing it. I said hustle, not a full out sprint. I do not set up the truck, but I peak in when I drop off my lunch pail, take a peak at the load and may ask the loader to leave out stop X until the end of his shift or something of the like.

During peak, my 5th, I was running back to the truck, tripped over a septic tank vent, rolled into the street. I felt like an idiot, looked like an idiot and realized that I would not make my 25 years if I continued. Also had a good mentor that I work with, also a poster here, who has helped me to understand that it just isn't worth the running and gunning. Most of the high seniority drivers that were or are runners and gunners have all kinds of injuries. I do not want to become one of them.

That said, I still work efficiently and probably work faster then I should. Still can't take my full hour lunch or break and I know I need to start that. We are bonus so if I make an hour ten in bonus it makes up for the hour lunch they take out. Not justifying it, it is what it is.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They were good to me Monday through Thursday, I was happy to have a decent week since I had come back from a vacation week off. I have been filing over 9.5 grievances, and noticed that my "Maximum Stop Counts" on the dispatch paper has magically gone down. I came in Friday morning, my route was jacked up with add/cuts off the two neighboring routes. One of my cover drivers walked into the building while I was talking to my Dispatch Supervisor, and I suggested that he would want to run my route. I was surprised that we had an extra driver, I pulled seniority and took an Option Day.

oldngray

nowhere special
"Maximum Stop Counts" is a fictional number that varies depending on how many routes are in. An excuse to spread the extra stops around when they take routes out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They were good to me Monday through Thursday, I was happy to have a decent week since I had come back from a vacation week off. I have been filing over 9.5 grievances, and noticed that my "Maximum Stop Counts" on the dispatch paper has magically gone down. I came in Friday morning, my route was jacked up with add/cuts off the two neighboring routes. One of my cover drivers walked into the building while I was talking to my Dispatch Supervisor, and I suggested that he would want to run my route. I was surprised that we had an extra driver, I pulled seniority and took an Option Day.

And then you went out in the heat and cut down a pine tree?
What's up with that?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
And then you went out in the heat and cut down a pine tree?
What's up with that?

Its supposed to rain today and tomorrow, so I cut it down yesterday. I was in the shade of the other trees, but the humidity was still so bad my clothes were thoroughly soaked with sweat. That was still better than riding around in a brown aluminum box all day with 160 stops. I got to hydrate with beer instead of ice water.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Its supposed to rain today and tomorrow, so I cut it down yesterday. I was in the shade of the other trees, but the humidity was still so bad my clothes were thoroughly soaked with sweat. That was still better than riding around in a brown aluminum box all day with 160 stops. I got to hydrate with beer instead of ice water.

​Next time just get to the point ... beer!

oldngray

nowhere special

Beer is liquid bread and chocked full of everything the body needs.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I worked 55 hours this week and filed my 10th consecutive 9.5 grievance . I never in a million years would have thought a poor country boy who only has a High School diploma could earn what I am making. It's NICE not to have money woes